Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling really guilty

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by rebenda, Jul 29, 2009.

1. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Hey

i posted a thread on here about my gerbils the other day about how they are nearly four and started losing their teeth theyd stopped gnawing the others down, so the teeth they had left were starting to become quite overgrown very quickly,

well i took them to work(vet) and saw the best vet their id trust her with any of my pets she advised pts with them as she could trim the teeth but it would cause them alot of distress and was likley theyd need them doing again next week, theyr also quite old and sleeping most of the time now just moving around to have a stretch and get some food, so as she advised i didnt want to distress them trimming their teeth so i went for pts.

They lived a long life and i came out upset but feeling that it was better for them and they went to heaven quickly, i came home and burried them with their brothers, i couldnt clean out their cage yesturday too upset and have just done it now, got upset again and now feel like ive done the wrong thing, a couple of mates have said they were moving around and looking happy enough but i said they are prey so wont show that they are in any pain with it, but im feeling so bad now cant stop thinking i took their lives away before i should have, they were still eating but struggling, eating more soft veg than their pellets.

i keep looking at their cage thinking their still in there i just feel so bad that ive done the wrong thing, with the boys they developed tumors and i knew once theyd stopped eating and were sleeping alot more it was their time and took them in, but i just feel now i shud have given them longer:(

2. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss...

3. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss..

Dont feel guilty...
    At least they are not suffering now... (....hugs....)

4. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Sorry to hear about your gerbils. However, dont feel guilty.
    You gave them a great life, 4 years is a good age for gerbils :)
    ((hug))

5. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

thanks guys, i think it made it worse that i were on hol wen they started with the teeth probs so it was quite sudden to me my friend didnt tell me til i got back. just have keep reminding myself they had a good long life and arnt in pain now:)

6. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did the right thing, you didn't let them suffer.

7. grinder

grinder PetForums Newbie

If the treatment would have caused them a lot of distress, and need to be repeated regularly, you definitely did the right thing. Imagine the suffering they would have endured!

4 peaceful years in your care with no predators swooping over them - they had a great life compared to that in the wild.

The grief you are feeling will pass, but you can't rush the process. Just know you will feel bad for a while. Eventually you will dare to smile a little when you think of them.

8. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your loss :(
    But you did the right thing. The teeth would have needed trimming every so often and anaesthetic (sp) can be dangerous in small animals.

9. acuda

acuda PetForums Newbie

It's completely normal to feel a sense of regret or guilt after having a pet put down. I felt the exact same way after putting down my 13 year old golden retriever who had severe bone cancer. Even though it was obviously the right thing and she was suffering, I still had those moments where I felt guilty. The important part is that you realize that what you did was necessary and that you did it out of love and compassion for your little friends. I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds like they lived a good life and were lucky enough to have someone that was looking out for their best interests.

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My Buffy (hamster) is four now and she only gets up for a little play in her wheel and a wander about. If I had to take her to the vets regullarly to have her teeth trimmed I think she would be under imense stress and be really unhappy, and I would probably have to make the same choice that you made. Don't feel guilty, you made this decision after good advice from your vet. Sorry for your loss.

11. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

:( Sorry for your loss. But you need to think of the long term when it comes to your animals and we had to do the same with our dog (a white GSD like DGN's Henrick, named Goldie) as although she was alright and the treatment would have worked for a while it would have made her worse long term. Sorry for your babies and you. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice