Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

feeling paranoid - q for lab owners

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by natty01, Jan 19, 2012.

1. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

hi
    im not sure i should post this but what the hell u can all kill me later if needs be .

for a while maddie was abit on the chunky side , not enormous but big enough that she started a diet . she lost weight and now weighs in at 30kg so she can afford to lose a bit more and be ok .

thing is . when she first lost a good amount of weight she looked odd , she just didnt look right the only way i can explain it is that she had got very narrow behind her ribs , you couldnt see her ribs but right where the last rib is she went in all of a sudden. it kind of made her look underweight even tho she clearly isnt . anyways shes either put a bit back on or ive got used to her new look because it doesnt look so shocking now.

but the other issue is this ,she is very heavy in her neck area , now i aways put this down to her being a bit chunky so figured that she would lose weight in this area when she lost weight however this doesnt seem to be the case .

for the last few days i have been a bit concerned cos when i am squishing and cuddling with her the chunky area above her shoulders just doesnt feel right . the only way i can describe it is that the area feels thickened . thing is it doesnt feel like regular fat because everywhere else she is soft and smooshy but the area above her shoulders seems firm , for want of a better way to describe it its like she has a large but flat lump . ive been obsessively mauling her to figure out whats going on , and shes loving it so i know if there is something going on its not hurting her .

i want to take her to the vet but im concerned they wont be able to feel what i am feeling and i will look rediculous , thing is i know i will take her anyway , proably tommorow but i wondered if any other lab owners could tell me if what im feeling is normal lab shoulders , my other dog is a shih tzu and he is definatly not thicker in that area and nor were any of my other dogs . but ive never had a lab before and so im not really used to chunky dogs .

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

3. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

do you mean baggy skin around the neck?

4. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

not really baggy no.

5. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Our Lab was always very chunky, its hard to know what you mean without seeing. If i was you I would take to the vet if you are that worried,just to be on the safe side, you won't look stupid!

6. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

ive tried to take some pics .

Attached Files:

7. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Hard to tell but do you mean around the collar area? Redd used to have thicker fur that seemed to crown in that area i think it got like that from his collar. Maybe somebody else may see something, but couldn't see anything that would worry me!

8. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Willow (golden) and Red (lab mongrel type)
    Both had thick skin and dense hair in their neck areas.
    When Willow ran through some barb wire it became apparant why :rolleyes:

But do go to the vets of you are concerned , dont worrty about looking stupid, I have taken mine before when I was convinced of bumpy ribs lol
    The vets would always rather safe than sorry (and a nice easy consult fee lol)

9. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

yes from behind the collar area down the back past the shoulders .

10. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Agree with whats been said here, Redds fur was different and felt different around his neck but if youre worried would see a vet. When I heard you were worried because the neck was strange I was concerned it may have been similar to what happened to Redd but didn't want to worry you, but it appears thats not the case, it doesn't look to be anything serious to me, but i am no vet!

11. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

yes the hair is different in that area , but i always thought that was normal so never paid much attention to it because she does have a thick coat there but its how that whole area feels thicker, i mean the meat below the hair not the hair part , its just puzzling and i am most probably being very paranoid its just that shes got to that age which i always dread . ill probably take her to the vet tommorow and see what he says . i was just hoping someone with a lab would come on and have a feel of there dogs shoulders and let me know if the skin above them is thicker than it is elsewhere.

reginald what symptons did redd start off with ?

12. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

I honestly wouldn't worry too much and just get the vet to have a quick look just to be on the safe side. Redds neck swelled up but not like what your describing, his neck went very baggy and pulled his mouth down, it made him drool even more than normal it looked almost mastiff like, I honestly don't think you need to be worried about that though. Hopefully someone else may be able to put your mind at rest

13. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Could be muscle around that area that you never noticed till she lost weight, Labs are rather muscled up around the neck area:)

14. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

im really hoping thats what it is , she just is the oddest shape

15. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Seconded, Scooter has a very thick neck that looks very much like Maddie's but he's always been a lean dog. It's muscle with some typical loose Lab skin (you can really grab a handful!), both of mine are like this but it's more pronounced on Scooter.

You can really see it in this photo, the collar is only tight enough to stop him slipping out!
    [​IMG]
    More recent, without a collar:
    [​IMG]

Excuse the PJ's (came home from work to find that my sister had been dressing the dogs up...), this is a good one for showing how Breeze is lean overall but still has a big neck; loose skin under the chin, muscle along the topline. She was slightly overweight when she came to live with us and her neck was the last place to slim down, it's a little more elegant now so hopefully you'll see the same with Maddie :)
    [​IMG]

#15 Thorne, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  16. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

The skin of any animal is an adaptive organ that will grow to encompass the body within, if the dog has been fed too much with little exercise and gained an extra thickness of stored fat, when that fat is lost it will take time for the skin to adjust. But it is not going to happen overnight.

As with weight loss in humans it is by far better to loose excess fat by developing energy burning muscle than simply exist on a starvation low calorie diet. (Read up on yo-yo dieting to see why.)

Things that will help: Low fat diet, feeding raw with fat/skin trimmed off. (Tinned food has much added fat/oil) Active walking across countryside rather than a 2mph crawl round the park.

It is better to judge a dog's weight by body/muscle tone rather than simply the scales. The books might say 30Kg is the ideal overall weight for your dog - but if the dog is carrying 10Kg of that weight as fat it is not healthy.

Solution: Good diet AND exercise, just like for humans.

[​IMG]

17. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

well ive just got home from the vets with maddie .
    she examined her and said she could feel what i was concerned about but its nothing sinister she said its changes to the subcutaneous fat that are likely a combination of age and reactions to the vacinations she has had .
    she said shes not fat shes perfect for her build and i have to stop worrying so much . i laughed and said i bet that is the easiest £30 youve earnt today and she said yes but im not going to charge you for this consultation . YAY .
    so its all good . xxx

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Both of my girls have a *ruff* of thicker skin and fur around their neck, I'm glad the vet's prognosis is nothing sinister, and really nice of them not to charge you for the consultation as well!

x

19. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

yes i think i got lucky because it was the head vet so i guess she can make decisions like that . it may also be because she rembers putting my old dog down when he had cancer so maybe she has an understanding as to why im so twitchy about lumps and bumps.

20. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Good news, yoou may be £30.00 poorer but at least your minds at rest and you can stop worrying and that as they say can be priceless!!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice