Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling panicky

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ForestWomble, Apr 11, 2017.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Bungo was attacked* this morning :(

Both dogs were on lead, this dog belongs to a neighbour, as he was coming over he looked relaxed to me, just wanting to say hello. He came up and before me or the lady knew what was going on, this dog snarled and lunged at B. She pulled him away and he tried to go for B again, she had to pull her dog away.

A tooth grazed Bungo, but otherwise physically he is fine.
    We were both very shaken and it's taken until this evening for Bungo to finally relax indoors, me however is still feeling shaken and now I'm close to panic.

2. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry that happened, it must have been really scary. Thank goodness Bungo isn't badly hurt. (((Gentle hugs))) it's normal for you both to feel shaken after something like this.
    When I'm feeling panicky I (when I remember or am prompted) concentrate on my breathing; in for 4, hold for 7, out for 8. Having a drink of water and drinking it slowly all at once also helps to dowse the immediate panic.
    After that, watching my favourite TV shows or losing myself in a book also helps me.
    I hope you're feeling better soon, please call someone if you start to feel worse.

3. ForestWomble

Thank you.
    Got the tele on at the moment and on here too, hopefully will relax soon.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Oh no! That's awful, poor Bungo and you. Remember the stress hormone takes up to 48 hours to leave the body so have a quiet day tomorrow too.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Katie's offered some good advice, following on from what Katie has said, is it possible for you to take a bottle with water out with you on walks. This is a tip I use regularly. Symptomatically, anxiety can leave to dry mouths...although we can't always tell per se. Sometimes if we help to treat the symptoms that we can, ie taking sips of water when we are out and about at anxious times that can help! As I think you may be a little anxious going out tomorrow with him, and the anxiety he will just pick up on.

Now lets hope Bungo is more shocked than anything, just give lots of positiveness for him, whether extra treats or praise on his next walk and hopefully he will be the smiley dog we all saw yesterday.

Take care xxxx

Team_Trouble and ForestWomble like this.
  6. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Poor Bungo, and poor you! That must have been really scary. Katie has given some really great advice, I hope you start feeling less anxious this evening; treat yourself to something you enjoy, whether that's a drink, choccy, or a favourite movie.

Consider taking a day off walkies tomorrow to let all that stress subside. And remember that Bungo is a strong little chap, I'm sure he will bounce back in no time :)

7. ForestWomble

Thank you all.

Busy tomorrow unfortunately, but will have a quiet day Thursday and if needed Friday too. We've been out in the courtyard (where this happened) a few times since and thankfully we haven't seen anyone about so got to have much needed quiet outside trips.

Feeling a bit calmer now.

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Good. Take care of yourselves x

ForestWomble likes this.
  9. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

Glad you're feeling a bit calmer, I hope you get a good night's sleep and feel better tomorrow x

ForestWomble likes this.
  10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Oh no poor Bungo and poor you, I hope you can get some sleep and that it's all a bit easier in the morning.

ForestWomble likes this.
  11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear that :(

Hope you both bounce back quickly.

ForestWomble likes this.
  12. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Oh no, sounds unpleasant. Hope you and Bungo have been able to recuperate this evening. Agree with having a day or two 'off' if needed and then onwards and upwards :)

ForestWomble likes this.
  13. ForestWomble

Thank you everyone.

Feeling better this morning, though Bungo (and me for that matter) is more anxious then normal when outside (understandably), not sure if I should take him for a walk later or not as the attack happened here, so just taking him out for toilet breaks is taking him into the area it happened, I guess I'll see how we feel later.

14. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

This is generally why I don't allow my dogs to meet other dogs - regardless of whether their dog or my dogs are friendly or not. If it was a straight on approach as well, dogs tend not to like that. Hope Bungo is OK and no lasting effects.

ForestWomble likes this.
  15. ForestWomble

I think I might just stick with allowing him to say hello to his 'friends' who I know are fine from now on.
    We were side on to this dog, the dog dragged his owner over, one quick sniff from this dog and he went for poor Bungo.

Bungo is not settling today, he keeps standing up, walking around and growling/grumbling/barking at nothing in particular as far as I'm aware, my visitor has left now so we'll have a quiet afternoon and rest of the week, get him settled again.

Hanwombat and lullabydream like this.
  16. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Sounds like a good idea :) Give him the rest of the week for his cortisol levels to get back down again - can play some nice scent games etc.

ForestWomble likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice