Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling Guilty

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Happy Paws2, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

As most of you know I can't walk Dillon anymore OH does all the walking. Well yesterday OH was taken ill and had a funny turn and passed out, when he fell he hurt his neck and back, at the moment is in a lot of pain and can hardly move and is on painkillers, no way can he walk Dillon. I feel so guilty not been able to take him a small walk and it seems like it will be a few days at the earliest before OH can take him out. Dillon is very understanding seems to know what has happened and is lying on the floor by OH, not asking to go out or play.

Still doesn't make me feel any better all the same, I just wish my balance was better and I could just take him out for a short walk.:(

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am sure Dillon will survive - but didn't you get a mobility scooter or am I mixing you up with someone else. Hope your OH is better soon. Send him to a chiropractor or osteo

3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Has he found out why he had the funny turn, must be very worrying for you both.

I expect Dillon will just take things as they come. How old is he now?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Why not get a dog walker in? If only for half hour it'll be better than nothing.

Katalyst and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

You shouldn't feel guilty as it isn't your fault - you can't help if you aren't fully fit ;)

Hope your OH is better soon, but want to investigate why he had the funny turn to pup your minds at rest.

I'm sure Dillon will forgive you both, but maybe try finding a walker who could do ad hoc walks when the need arises?

ouesi likes this.
  6. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Things happen so you shouldn't feel guilty, you can only do what you can xx

Hope your hubby is feeling better soon, I'd be more worried about him having a turn.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  7. DT

DT Banned

Try not to worry too much happy paws, not sure how old Dillon is nor how much exercise he normally gets , but wouldn't mind betting that as long as he's with you he will be happy xx
    Get well other half, and don't you go beating yourself up x

8. Happy Paws2

Yes I've got a scooter, but Dillon is to big to take out on my own, I'm not sure how to hold him and steer it at the same time and he could if he was spooked pull it over.

I not such with Dillon hidden problems, we trust someone else to take him out.

Thanks, OH is feeling a little better today at least he has got some sleep, Dillon has been very good (well most of the time:D) I'm trying to playing with a lot more to make him use his brain and his getting lots more fuss and treats for been good.

westie~ma likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have led ponies off my scooter that I use on the farm when my back is bad. Steering is awkward if they are not walking on a loose rope but they couldnt pull it over. I see a lot of people walking dogs with scooters but if you do not feel confident then best to avoid it. Maybe when your husband is better you could practice with him there to help. If you put a headcollar on Dillon it would be easier to hold him.

Happy Paws2 and Katalyst like this.
  10. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

I think this is why it's so important to find a good, trust worthy Walker ahead of time.
    I appreciate that this is no use to you now after the time Happy Paws.
    But there ARE good walkers out there, many of them highly experienced. Perhaps when you've recovered it'd be a good ideal to get chatting to some and allow them to take Dillon out occasionally to build a relationship with him and get an understanding of how he ticks.
    He's a big dog and if you have mobility problems I guess this is always a possibility (as it would be with anyone with a powerful dog who even if usually able bodied suddenly find themselves off their legs for a while).

Perhaps also you could get in a trainer to help you feel confident enough in him and yourself to take him out on your own?

Everything is negotiable this side of the grave :)

Magyarmum, Happy Paws2 and Blitz like this.
  11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im sure he will survive a while without any walks. I mean if he was injured and the vet told you not to walk him for several weeks you wouldnt feel guilty would you?
    Its the same thing only with people vets instead!!:D

Burrowzig, Happy Paws2 and 3dogs2cats like this.
  12. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Agree with Catz4m8z, if there was a reason Dillon couldn`t go out he`d have to cope with it. Hope your husband gets well soon.

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think that is slightly different and I think it depends on how long HPs husband is going to be out of action. I think a lot of people on here would be up in arms if a new member came on and was not going to make provision for their dog to be exercised. HP, could you not go out with a dog walker in your buggy so you can see how they handle Dillon. Or send your husband out in the buggy!

Katalyst, Happy Paws2 and Meezey like this.
  14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Happypaws mentioned a few days...Im sure if its was going to be a long term thing or permanent change she would be thinking about alternative ways to exercise Dillon.
    My point is that **** happens and most dogs are adaptable to changes in circumstances. I didnt walk Hannah for 6 weeks once (on vet advice) but it turned out I didnt actually need to stop her exercising as she was fine limping! It certainly didnt cause her any harm to be a couch potato for a month and a half!;)

Firedog and Happy Paws2 like this.
  15. Happy Paws2

Thanks everyone, OH is feeling a little better and the painkillers are working well, he thinks he'll be able to take Dillon a short walk down the road and back tomorrow.

I might when he's back to normal just see if together I can just take Dillon a small walk.

westie~ma, Katalyst and Blitz like this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Glad he is feeling better and do let us know how you get on attempting a short accompanied walk. It would be a great achievement and give you peace of mind too.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  17. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

Only just read this, but glad to hear your OH is feeling a bit better today.
    Wishing him a speedy recovery and hoping you can get out with him soon.

I'm sure Dillon won't mind missing his walk, as long as he's with you both.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  18. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

19. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Oh just seen this! Hope your OH is feeling better now :)

I'll just add my voice to the suggestions to go ahead and set up a dog walker. I bet Dillon would love it as it would be a change of pace for him and perhaps longer walks too :)

20. Happy Paws2

Thank You

He's still in pain but not as bad as he was, just not able to get much sleep and isn't not going out.

Dillon is coping OK I'm playing with him more and he seems to understand somethings wrong and not asking to go out. A friend up the road who has a GSD came round to take Dillon out for us, but they only got a few yards down the road and Dillon was going no where.:rolleyes::D

Honeys mum and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice