Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling guilt for an unusual reason.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, May 14, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I have wondered for a while if I am alone in this particular case.
    If there is a dog being walked outside our house, I feel insane guilt that Bella is enclosed within our house/garden, and often run inside to get her leash to take her out to say hi. I don't want her to see her house as something that prevents her from getting to good things.
    I should add that Bella spends at least 3 hours walking a day (at least 2 of these off lead) and she also comes with us to friends, or if we go for coffee etc, so she spends a lot of her day away from home. We go to the dog park every afternoon so she is not deprived of seeing/playing with other dogs.

I know this sounds crazy, and it is no more than a thought, but sometimes I wish I lived in a safe area in the middle of nowhere where Bella wasn't enclosed by a walls and gates.

And a confession. We lived in a house in a very quiet area on a cul de sac when we had Nelson. He got many walks a day, and car rides too. But when were at home, and weather was good, we'd leave the house door open and our garden was not enclosed. In the 7 years that we did this, he never went anywhere, unless we went with him. I know this was wrong, and in hindsight I would not have done it...but I will admit it was a wonderful feeling knowing that Nelson was "free", and that he didn't wish to leave the house. Just to calrify, Nelson was only let out qwhen we were home, he was always closed inside if we had to leave, and we always had an eye out for him when he was outside...but still, I am confessing that our garden was not enclosed. The area was unbelievably quite being on a cul de sac and having fields on 3 sides of our house. But still, I am not syaing what we did was correct or that I would repeat it, but I do sometimes feel tremendous guilt when Bella looks out of our gate. I know she doesn't want to run away and she loves her home, but the fact that there are moments she would rather be outside our garden and she is inside upsets me:(

2. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

No I don't feel guilty when they see dogs outside my house.

My dogs have 2 walks a day and all the love and attention they need, obviously they sometimes want things they can't have just like us humans sometimes want things we can't have that's life!

Please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way it's not meant to upset you but do you think you are maybe a little ott with Bella? I have been a member on here for a while now (don't post much just come on to read) and have read quite a few of your posts re Bella and I worry that you are going to make your self ill constantly worrying about Bell.

Just chill out a bit calm down and relax you can't give Bella everything she wants but she has a better life than a lot of other animals so just be happy with that.

3. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

dont worry so much - Bella is happy - sounds like she lives the high life, what more could she want?!! ;)

To be honest with you, even though I am completely neurotic and worry about everything, I have never actually considered whether maggie wants to go outside the front?! she just cant, it isnt safe and thats that!

we leave the back doors open into our garden for her when we are home and she rarely wants to go out there other than to go to the loo, as she gets out and about so many times in the day to go for walks, park, shops with me, car rides, agility, training classes etc that I really doubt it is anything more than a fleeting interest if she does happen to look out the front at another dog - and I am pretty sure your Bella is just the same :)

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

TBH I think Bella has a great life and you should chill out abit!;) She sounds really lucky and besides you cant garruntee (?sp) that every dog that walks past is going to want to say hello back!
    I do feel guilty that coz of my cats the dogs can only get into the run and not straight into the garden whenever they want. Although as they are mostly elderly kitties now Im considering letting them out as I dont think they would go far and the dogs could run in and out at will.
    I also used to live in a quiet cul de sac and our old BC spent a good part of every day just laying on the open front lawn watching the world go by!:)

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I am sure it bothers you more than it does Bella. I'm a bit of a worrier too and quite honestly I think I would go scatty if I couldnt be 100% sure of her whereabouts :lol:

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'd say it bothers you not Bella sounds like she has a great life. I'm not bothered because I know Buster gets plenty of exercise and is happy

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I know I am neurotic and over the top,so please don't anyone worry about offending me!
    She does have a super life, but like I have said, I want ehr to have everything she wants all the time - which I know would nto be good for her anyway (it makes sense in my mind by I know not when I type it).
    Anyway, fact is, Bella gets her 2 looong walks a day (off lead) and 2-3 shorter ones, plus many other outings, and the rest of the time she is closed in our house/garden. She gets cuddled, and played with, is well fed, has more toys and chews that she could want...and I will have to come to terms with my own guilt about her not having the free run of the entire world!!

8. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

lol!! :lol::lol: god help you if you ever have kids hun ;)

9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

that is an understatement, im in deep trouble:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice