Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling desperate and really not coping

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lynda Renham-Cook, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Lynda Renham-Cook

Lynda Renham-Cook PetForums Junior

I’m not sure if this should be under my old thread. So sorry if I’ve done it wrong. My little cat Lytton who is 3 years old has me in a real state. He was fine before an abscess developed but now he’s a totally changed cat. Won’t eat. Lays around. We’ve been to the vet three times now. Abscess has healed. Antibiotics finished. Still he’s the same. He’s had anti nausea injection and an appetite enhancer. Still the same. He’s quiet all day but I’m the evening makes an effort and goes out. Husband getting cross and says we’re too focused on him. So now we’re disagreeing. I bought different food for him this morning and a new bowl. He ate a lick a lix without a problem so gave him a bit more with metacam in just in case he’s in pain ?! Vet can find nothing obvious wrong. He ate a little tuna and about half a tin of gourmet. Tried him with some apple paws but walked away. He drank a little in the night. What else can I do? I need medicating I’m in such a state. Any advice so welcome x
    I tried to get goats milk for him but nowhere had it.

2. Mistys Mum

Mistys Mum PetForums Member

Ok first off, breathe. You need to be calm to get through this.
    Second, ignore anyone who tells you not to worry, because this is your baby, right?
    Third, are you weighing him regularly?
    I use baby scales off Amazon. You get so much information just from daily weigh ins.

slw and chillminx like this.
  3. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

Hi, I’m so sorry you are having this worry - I remember after I lost a cat to kidney disease how neurotic I was for a while about health issues with my next cat. I actually regret that, but also learnt from it.
    I can’t say anything about his health, but I would say is that cats do pick up on our anxieties and worries. I found with my cat who recently got very unwell, that when I talked in a confident voice, and acted as if everything was normal, she really did well with that. I broke down everywhere else lol, but not around her. If I talked to her in a worried voice, she worried about me and withdrew. I don’t really know what to advise, but maybe try manage the anxiety and worrying and maybe try to not focus in too too much but keep a quiet eye at the same time? it’s so hard when they aren’t eating and seem off, I hope he starts to pick up soon and I’m sorry if this isn’t helpful at all

slw, Orla and chillminx like this.
  4. Lynda Renham-Cook

Yes, must breathe. Thank you. Vet said he hasn’t lost weight ... yet.

5. Whompingwillow

hopefully he won’t lose weight. Try not to predict he will and enjoy him, he will pick up on the positive vibes and you never know, he might respond to that amazingly xx

slw and chillminx like this.
  6. Whompingwillow

By the way, iv just started to try meditation to help with anxiety lol, I actually find it really helpful! You can get short guided ones on youtube, Just an idea , drawing helps me too, i wish I could help more with the actual worries! All crossed he gives you no reason to worry soon! Xx

chillminx and Mistys Mum like this.
  7. Mistys Mum

I would keep an eye on his weight but with the change in the weather my lot have calmed down as well. I think they are getting ready for Autumn.
    How did he get the abscess? Maybe hes just staying home and safe (happy days.)

8. Lynda Renham-Cook

9. Lynda Renham-Cook

He’s breathing fast too. I know I’m an anxious mummy. But he’s such a lively cat usually. It’s almost as though a different cat has joined us. He’s smelling food as though it’s poison and then walking away. Acting like I’m pain. I’m feeling so helpless.

10. Lynda Renham-Cook

Vet thinks he was in a fight and abscess was from puncture wound. I lost his sibling to FIP so I’m slightly neurotic. He has an appointment at the vet tomorrow. Should I take him today? I’ll keep weighing him x

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Lynda Renham-Cook - good advice from everyone :)

Weigh him at the same time of day and keep a record of his weight to show the vet. It can also help to note how much food he has eaten each day and what he ate.

Btw, the goat milk I give my cats is TopLife Puppy Milk.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/toplife-puppy-milk-goat-200ml

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/260587673

A cat's appetite is very scent driven. Possibly his sense of smell has been affected by the infection or by the antibiotics. Try him with strong smelling foods such as sardines in spring water (if he likes fish) and warm the food for 5 seconds in the microwave (mix food well to get rid of hot spots).

Basically getting him to eat any kind of cat food (or home cooked meat or fish) will be fine. He just needs to get back the routine of eating, Cats can lose this when they have been ill.

If he still won't eat buy a tin of Hills Restorative Care cat food, which is very high in nutrients so he needs only a little of it. Hopefully he may lick some off your fingers. If not you may have to syringe some into his mouth (with a syringe used for liquids) if you have never done this before there are some useful videos on YouTube showing how to do it safely.

Or you could ask the vet nurse at your vets to show you (take the food and the syringe with you to the vets)

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/hills-prescription-diet-a-d-156g-(online-only)

Please keep us updated so we can give you any support you need. :) x

12. Lynda Renham-Cook

Thank you @chillminx. I did try sardines last night after the vet and he ate a little. He’s sleeping a lot at present. This morning he ate half a tin of gourmet but had it in dribs and drabs, also a little bit of tuna. One lick a Lix. Not much but something. I’ll order the goats milk. Thanks so much,

Whompingwillow and chillminx like this.
  13. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Where was the abcess? Was it in his mouth? Could the infection still be present? If he's got a sore mouth, he might not feel like eating. I hope he feels better soon. xx

TriTri likes this.
  14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Lynda Renham-Cook -

I am very pleased to hear he is eating something. It is a start! :)

Continue to offer him small amounts of food regularly.

Hoping for more good news soon. :)

15. Mistys Mum

You can monitor his breathing and it might reassure you.
    Put a timer on for say 10 seconds and count his breathing. Normal rate, depending which website you look at, around 15-40 breaths per minute.
    He may just be going through a period of convalescence or be worried about going out if he was bitten before. Maybe he feels safer when it's dark.
    The smelling food and walking away is a typical sign of nausea and can be treated with medication if necessary but if hes not losing weight or doing much maybe he just doesn't need the calories.
    These are the scales i use and my vet has the same ones (not that our readings agree usually.)
    It used to calm me down a lot if I weighed my poorly cat and she was the same weight. -breathe-

Agree with the meditation recommendation too, I use this a lot. Or just relaxing music.
    I hate it when people just tell me to calm down/get over it etc, how is that helping gr.grrr

Attached Files:

16. Mistys Mum

When I had a very poorly cat, all she would eat was gourmet melting heart, hi life fish or chicken and then the waitrose own brand foil packs. I literally went through every food in every supermarket. Oh and chicken, cooked and sometimes raw Turkey or beef mince.
    Sometimes she would have something else but those were the main stays for many months.

Whompingwillow and chillminx like this.
  17. Lynda Renham-Cook

Hi, it was in his neck x

18. Lynda Renham-Cook

Interesting that you say perhaps he feels safer at night. I wish I knew what happened that day, he flew in and sat staring out of the doors for ages and then later started squinting. Next day eye was better but had swelling under neck which was abscess and been strange ever since even though abscess healed. Will check breathing, thanks @Mistys Mum x

Mistys Mum likes this.
  19. Lynda Renham-Cook

Have tried Applepaws, chicken. Sardines and tuna so far but am not giving up, maybe I’ll purée some food later for him, I should be working. That’s not happening, x

Mistys Mum likes this.
  20. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

When you say he is out at night, do you mean he goes outdoors? Do you know that he isn’t eating outdoors? He could be associating the food you are giving him with when he felt unwell so isn’t really interested in that but could be feeding himself outdoors if he was going out. Personally I’d be inclined to keep indoors overnight. Apologies if I am reading this wrong

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice