Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling depressed about Ozzy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PembrokeMadhouse, May 26, 2010.

1. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I am having a panic ... can I really cope with a puppy! Ozzy is 12 weeks - my house is covered in wee and poo (well my dining room and landing - that's the doggy space)... he is so erratic, never seem to quite get it right with letting him out regularly ... Every thing else is fine.... He sits, and I taught him down tonight ... got it in about 4 goes (amazing what a treat does) ... his recall is a bit dodgy when distracted - not let him off lead yet

Of course friends don't help when they say they had no problems house training their pup ... only messed a couple of times ... blah blah blah ...

Grrrr... the one thing i will say is Ozzy does seem to be "hitting the paper" a bit more regularly now .... But it is sooooo hard not to tell him off, of course I praise him when he gets it right ... but that's not very often!

I know he's young, I know it's going to take time ... but like I said 3 people today have said to me their dogs are great and Ozzy should be house trained by now - I have had him 5 days!!!!:eek:

Just having a panic - probably just need reassurance!
    C X

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

12 weeks is a BABY - some people can be very lucky to have a pup that does grasp the concept of housetraining quickly - but believe me, the majority do not.

If you don't already - invest in a crate - they are not cruel - used correctly they are little dens - my older dogs are very seldom crated - but having 6 labs living in the house, I have them dotted around, and quite often will find two or three in there all cosied up - they LOVE them and I've got the pictures to prove it.

FORGET paper / puppy pads etc - all they are doing is telling your dog it is OK to toilet inside .

When I first have a puppy, they are outside every half hour, and after meals, when waking up etc - they get one toilet visit during the night (no play) and back in.

Stay outside until they do toilet and then praise, praise, praise - it will come - sometimes they can be trained at 7.5 weeks - sometimes they can take up to 6 months.

But with consistency, ditching the paper and getting a crate, you will save your house and your sanity.

As for your friends, don't believe everything you are told ;):p

CarolineH likes this.
  3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Dont beat yourself up (says she who had the same doubts :lol:) I felt like you at one point and had OH dripping that the carpets would all stink. So everytime there was an accident I felt more pressure which of course, she sensed. Try and stay relaxed with a "whatever" attitude and it will all come together. Heidi was brilliant for pooh and took herself outside everytime from day one but wee took longer. Yes, I can say that within 5 days we had it sussed but if I'm honest I would add that it all went pear shaped again and then we got it sussed again etc. to the point where I'm not sure exactly how old she was when the accidents stopped.

4. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Swarthy has given you excellent advice. :thumbup:

Some dogs take longer than others and sometimes the more you worry over it, the longer it will take. 12 weeks old is still very young. Just take Swarthys' advice and don't worry about accidents - they clean up! ;)

I also agree with mum2heidi. Stay relaxed and it will come together.

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

This is excellent advice.

Especially the regularity of taking pup out for the loo (though we took ours out every hour).

I will add one extra tip. When pup does go to the loo while you watch, choose a word or two (we say 'Be quick') pick a tone (we make it sound light hearted) then while pup is doing the deed say it clearly and repeatedly until the deed is done. Then give massive praise, really go over board :D

If you do that every time for a few weeks (it will most likely take a lot less time, but a few weeks to be sure pup really gets it), eventually you will be able to open the door, let pup out, say the command and be there for much less time as pup will commence toileting immediately.

It's great also for any future vet appointments when they might need a sample. Instead of going home with your dog to try and catch a sample, you should be able to do it in the vet's pet toilet area. Job's a good'n. There are of course many other occasions the toilet command will be useful, like stopping for a loo break while traveling for instance.

Hope that helps!

6. PembrokeMadhouse

He is crated at night - and I get up at 3am to do the pit stop .... that has been working really well.

The day time as I say is another matter ... I need to get into a routine and slowly we are getting there.

This morning we managed a wee and a poo outside so lots of praise there ...

I know he's young - I suppose I was lying in bed this morning thinking it is post natal blues ! you get them about 3-5 days of having a baby ! I'm getting them about Ozzy.

Also he won't leave Meg alone, he hangs off her the minute she moves ... a firm no and treat when he lets go seems to be working (he is actually looking at me waiting for me to react when he does this) - Meg won't tell him off!

Off to vets today - for injections and apparently they do training classes there, so will try to arrange those.

Thanks for the advice guys ... I am sure I will be on here more asking silly questions!!!!

7. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I understand where you're coming from hun....I know it's hard but hang in there.It's like reading about my 2 in part...but fizz does tell Penny off and I think in some ways that's easier because if they get a treat when they leave the older pooch alone this can quickly become a reason for the treat making them do it more.....Meg will tell her off if it pees her off too much. I have to say I followed the rather frowned on aproach and just chucked them in together ...obvioulsy watched to make sure fizz didn't bite her but they seemed to settle down in their 'places'
    As for the toileting, anyone who says their pup was perfect from day one is lying in my opinion....pups don't even have full controll over their toileting until they're about 16 weeks.....we kind if had it sorted by a week after I had penny, but then I realised it wasnt her who was toilet trained, it was me who was trained in knowing when to put her out lol. She did well, then had a laps, then did well agan, still get the ocasional pee in the house and if she goes upstairs she will undoubtable poo in my lads bedroom only ever his room.,,.,very strange, and my hall still smells of pee....today I am cleaning the carpet because I think that's the worst over,:thumbup:
    Dont beat yourself up over it, they all have accidents despite what people around you say.....if it gets too much crate train in the day as well as the night, anything that makes you and your puppy feel comfortable and enables you to enjoy your puppy.
    Good luck
    Clare xx

8. PembrokeMadhouse

I just wish people would stop reminding me how perfect their puppy was when they first had them .... it's like a trophy!!!!

The only time I crate them in the day is when I am physically not here ... which is usually only 3 or 4 hours, then the kids come home and let them out ... The crate is always dry so that's sussed!

We just did a wee on the floor again! Cleared it up (is it bio or non-bio washing powder you're supposed to use), but Ozzy hates the scrubbing brush - in fact any kind of brush - barks at it !!! Hoover is fine, but brushes is a no no ... wonder what he'll do when I bring out his brush :lol:

It's early days yet and I am just having a "paddy"!!! Got a few days off work next week so I can concentrate on the issue at hand ... he's a collie so he should pick it up quite quick... mind you Meg was still weeing this time last year at night (I did a thread about it) but that's sorted now.

C X

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive had 3 pups the first 2 excellent no problems going outside at a very young age, my last was a nightmare nearly 12 months till i trusted her completely, i just kept taking her back to basics at 6/7 months old i was treating her like i did when she and the others was 8 weeks when we first got hem as she was just not "getting it" but she got there in the end, so maybe you need to try that do away with the paper and take your pup outside every 20 mins confine him to one room during the night, straight outside when you get up then every 20 mins lots if praise when he does it outside basically treat him like you would a pup at the very beggining of toilet training. good luck you will both get there and dont listen to to anyone who says their pups was clean very young, they are all different.

10. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Well said.....no puppy is perfect so as h m says, don't listen to them, and anyway...would we want a perfect pup? Not a chance, I love the fun of a puppy and watching them grow into dogs who respond well to training, training that we as owners teach....that's a heck of a thing to be proud of.....I have to say another thing I agree with is doing away with the paper, in my opinion, not everyone's I know we all have different opinions, but personally I think it confuses them, I put penny outside from day one ...it still takes time but it saves having to train them twice, and i always work on the fact that I don't want her peeing on my telegraph lol.
    She'll get there anyway....they all get the hang of it, some early some late...Fizz is almost 9 and every time she goes into season she has a spell of weeing on the floor....we take the rough with the smooth :thumbup: xxx

11. PembrokeMadhouse

Just found poo on rug and wee on floor - despite taking him out nearly every 15 minutes so far this morning - Grrrrrr!!!! :lol: ... now asleep half in his basket and his head hanging over the first step of the stairs !!!! Off to the vets in half an hour for first injections!

C X

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hang in there :thumbup: I took a week off work when we first got Heidi and followed her everywhere she went but she still managed to squat a few times before my very eyes:lol: It will eventually click:D
    Hope the injections go well and the "ouch" is minimal x

13. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I don't know if you have children - but I liken stories about most puppies to be pretty much the same as those we hear about people's children - usually somewhat embellished ;)

Some parents / owners are realists, while others see their "offspring" through rose tinted spectacles, and nothing you say or do will make them think otherwise.

My grown up daughter is beautiful, funny, intelligent, sharp witted, she is also incredibly stubborn with a quick temper.

Likewise, I could tell you that my 6 labs (aged 8 months to 7.5 years) are all perfect - but they aren't - they all have their good and bad points, most of the time they live in harmony, very occasionally we have fisticuffs.

They all have endearing qualities and I adore each and every one of them - but perfect - um NOPE - sorry - and in truth, I wouldn't want them to be perfect - it's those little quirks in life that make us laugh and cry and experience all the normal human emotions we should do in a human / pet relationship.

There's seldom a perfect dog or a perfect child - it doesn't mean we love them any less, and sometimes feeling anger, despair, frustration are all normal emotions that EVERYONE goes through at some point of parenthood and / or dog ownership, particularly when they are puppies, so long as those emotions are managed and not turned into physical aggression towards the cause, then you are just human.

Anyone who tells you differently, most likely needs a sharp reality check - and you can probably take a good guess who is in charge in their house ;)

============================

It's Bio washing powder - if he doesn't like the brush - pop him in the crate when you clean up, or maybe a puppy run outside for a few minutes - it seriously won't harm him ;)

14. PembrokeMadhouse

Thanks for the Bio update .... the brush may take a little longer - did atually brush him a minute ago - nice and smart for the vets - and he tolerated it for a bit, then tried to kill the brush!

Catch you later x

15. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

if you give him a treat everytime he lets go of her you are rewarding him,
    so therefore to him it will seem that its a good thing to keep getting her,
    which is why he looks at you as soon as he does it cos he is waiting for his treat.

16. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Hehe yes, I missed that bit - they are canny little things these pups - I used to train my pups with the 'quick word' praise and a treat if they went to the toilet - I now have my eldest two girls who refuse to come back in without a treat :eek::eek:

We live and learn :D:D

When you said 'brush' I thought you meant the brush for cleaning the carpet :eek:

Keep persevering - it's a battle you need to win ;) (again spoken from experience :eek:)

17. ArwenLune

ArwenLune PetForums Senior

They can't really take credit - it's little to do with them - some pups just 'get it' sooner!

My upstairs neighbours got a pup two weeks ago. Their first dog (now 1.5 yrs) NEVER barked or made a noise when crated. (I'm amazed and it's a testament to the dog, because they are anything but clued up about dog training)
    I imagine that they thought a second pup would be really easy since they 'did so well' with their first - their new pup does not stop howling and barking ALL DAY. Some things you have under control, and some things you don't.

Good luck with your Ozzy. They grow and develop so fast at this age, I'll bet that in another 5 days things will have improved!

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

You'll be fine!!! Once he's got the injections done and you can start taking him out and about things will improve. :thumbup: You are just having the new puppy wobbles...happens to us all!! Took me weeks to calm down when Norris first arrived, I had days of 'that's it he's going!!'...and he's still here!!:lol:

19. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

I will no doubt go through this when i get my pup! although cant be as bad as when i had my kids the temptation to send them back is still strong and my eldest is 14 :thumbup:

20. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

My collie was dreadful for hanging off the other dogs necks when he was small. So I got some grooming spray (dog cologne actually!) and sprayed their necks every day - it is designed not to harm them. But it tasted nasty and he soon realised that the other dogs didn't taste so good. ;) The house stunk like a tarts boudoir for a week though, lol!

#20 CarolineH, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice