Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling brave...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pupcakes, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

Hey everyone,

I havent posted on here in ages (still always looking and liking though :D)
    Sorry I havent gone back to my training thread, everything is a bit up in the air at the moment. But we still attend Alisons training sessions every fortnight, that woman is worth her weight in gold!

Anyhow, tomorrow, I'm going to take Charlie for a walk around a nice circuit of the fields we all normally go to. We shall be walking around the outside of the cycle track (we normally walk on the inside on it so the 3 of us are fenced in and safe) I'll walk Charlie on a flexi and just do it.

I walked the route with my friend and her Lab yesterday and it was great and I hadnt done it with my 2. So I am taking Charlie and we're gonna do it. Alison told me Charlie is a confident lad who isnt scared of telling other dogs to Bleep off if needed but doesnt mind being told off, he has good social skills and is a bit of a thug we decided, but Dottie is a different ball game all together.

She needs her space and is such a sensitive, fearful soul where as Charlie is, as Alison put it "One of the lads" goes out with the boys, has a pint and a fag then scoffs a kebab on the way home. Sounds spot on. So geared with this information that he is confident, I am going to be VERY brave and take a stroll around on this route, just once and face my phobia of meeting other dogs.

I will watch both dogs body language and keep him close by when needed but I'm going to do it and walk him near OTHER DOGS!

I feel inspired by Alisons words and the great article ouesi shared too.

So wish me luck with mine and Charlies 1-2-1 walk, mine and Dotties will be nice and calm after!

Hope everyone is well and all the dogs are fine :) The Terrors are still Terrors :p

xxx

2. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

Good luck :) I hope everything goes smoothly.

I do love Charlie :D

3. Pupcakes

Thanks Goldstar!

Aaaaw, thanks! I know Charlie would love you too! xxx

[​IMG]

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I hope you have a lovely walk. Well done for facing your fears :).

5. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

Hope the walk goes well and Charlie enjoys it so you can too :)

6. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Best wishes Hope you'll be back telling us what a fab walk it was :) Hope you are making progress with Dottie too :)

7. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

The terrors are lovely.

8. Mulish

Mulish Just a Little Penguin

Good luck! Hope it's the first of many stress free walks :)

9. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

Good luck :)

And we'll done for facing your fears... That deserves kudos!

Your Terrors are gorgeous :) I'll send Skip to you first class :) He needs a good telling off every now and again. Charlie would do him the world of good :)

Let us know how it went x

10. oveione

oveione PetForums VIP

Good luck on your walk enjoy yourself and have fun with your boy :thumbsup::001_wub:

11. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

Hope you have a great walk. Lovely picture of Charlie. :)

12. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

I love the pint and a fag description, really made me laugh!
    Good luck with Charlie, fingers crossed for you both x

13. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

good luck with your walk. don't forget to let us know how it goes :)

14. JenKyzer

JenKyzer PetForums VIP

Good luck :thumbup: I'm sure charlie will do you proud!! xxx

15. Pupcakes

Hey guys!

Thanks for all your likes and lovely replies :) Its so great to come on here where people understand how daunting it can be just walking your dog (something so simple and natural!)

Well I let him off lead on the large playing field first so he could run, chase a toy and do his poops. When he got the puff out of him, I leaded him up on his flexi, first we seen a GR, a Cockapoo and a Beagle (X Staff?) leaded up, damn I thought! No meeting and greeting. Ive met the lady and 2 of the dogs before and they are friendly and laid back and the third dog I have seen from afar before and the Staff X Beagle is a girl so all females would have been a good meet n greet!

One lady run off with a Staff on lead, but she was just running him over to the vets across the road as he was out loose apparently for the sixth or seventh time!

So sadly no interaction with the girls, although he did stand near them nicely, pulled a bit, but then come back to me and ignored them.

I thought right thats it, we'll see all the dogs now! (I seen LOADS going round when I took Dottie for a field run up there an hour previous) and we seen....NO-ONE!

Not a soul! :lol: Nadda!

I thought typical! I could see the 3 other dogs in the far distance and thought I would walk a tad faster and catch them at the entrance, but too late, they had just leaded up and gone!

So me and Charlie were pooped out and baking and sat in the shade. There he watched 2 labs trot past (on lead) one had a cone on their head. Then a man pulled up to the field and got out his car with his tiny Terrier X bitch. I walked Charlie over as the dog was curious and so was Charlie, all was fine and dandy, but the dog was a bit like Dottie and scatty and a bit nervous, but they met fine, Charlie sniffed her mouth too.

Then we drove home! :lol:

So it was good but quiet! And I remembered to always quit when the going is good, so we did!

I hope to report a few more meetings next time we walk round!

Dottie did very well, she saw a dog run past her (she was off lead sniffing) she looked up, watched then I said "C'mon, get ya ball" she trotted on and didnt care about the ball! We also seen a man riding a weird bike/trike contraption, I chucked treats on the floor for Dottie to eat to distract her, when he said Good Morning I thought she'd kick off, just looked at him and sniffed and ate treats! Hoorah! I even got to chat to him without any fuss!

So it was a good Terror day!

Thanks for all your replies and messages, they mean so much to me! :eek:

Heres a photo of The Terrors and 2 of their chums, Charlies beloved girlfriends, Izzy and Maizee (will post them all up in the near future :))

[​IMG]

xxx

JenKyzer likes this.
  16. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

At least you all had fun :D

Just noticed the evil eyes of the bigger dog (Izzy or Maizee) SCARY :D

17. JenKyzer

JenKyzer PetForums VIP

Soo glad it was a good day :D
    Well done charlie for meeting nicely.. & well done dottie for not making a fuss :) Sounds like your doing soo well, bet your so proud! - You should be!!

Ps, you also sound alot more relaxed ;) hope your taking care of yourself and treating yourself to a fruity cider or three :D xx

18. Pupcakes

Lol! Izzy! There is only one dog there with evil eyes and their name begins with a C....;) xxx

Hey JSW! Thank you so much! Aaaaaw shucks :eek: you know, no matter how many steps we make I always feel its not enough as they're not "normal" dogs that run off lead everywhere. How stupid?!

They did great :) I'm forever not noticing all their great points and dwelling on the bad points. Ouesi posted up a great link on here a couple of days ago and I need to read it daily and do as the guy says!

Aaaw I'm glad I do! Thanks :) I need to get Dottie back on the S&V but I reckon we're all doing great thanks! Hows your training been going?xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice