Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feel terrible

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Gem16, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

We just moved into the new house, i am really upset and nellie is currently hiding behind the bed, i feel so guilty :( do u think she will start to come round soon? i hate it so much :cryin:

2. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Get some Feliway Happy cat spray... It works wonders...IMO

Good Luck in your New Home BTW

3. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I'm sure Nellie will be fine soon. It's just being in new, unfamiliar surroundings causing her to hide. Just talk to her as you would normally, leave her some food and water nearby, and as per previous post, perhaps invest in Feliway - I found the diffuser helpful when introducing a new cat to the household. Good luck :)

4. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

As was said above but I just wanted to add a big hug as well :D And congratulations on your new house

xxxx

5. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

How long have you been moved in?
    I honestly think Nellie will be okay,it’s pretty much normal behaviour.
    What can also work is going down the ignore route as well as the fussing route.
    I think curiosity will get the better of her and she will soon want to investigate her new surroundings and come looking for you.
    This is all IMO though and more experienced owners will help.

ETA:-Just seen your thread in general (home sickness) you have only just moved in so nothing to worry about with Nellie you have enough on your plate.
    Good luck.

#5 Mr Gizmo, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  6. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

I moved in feb and one of my cats decided she lived under the sofa.
    but dont worry it only lasted a couple of days, then she graduated to only going under the sofa if she heard an unfamilliar noise or another person was there.
    then after a week of that she was 100% back to normal!

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Does she have some familiar "stuff" rugs, chair,throws that sort of thing with some old smell on it.Agree feliway difusser even the spray might help and be a bit more "instant"The whole process of the move will be unsettling and your own emotions will,I'm sure be quite high too,and she will sense it.Try to be calm round her and keep her routine as close to normal as possible.Good luck I hope you are all happy and settled soon x .

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

When I moved from London to the Midlands, Sluggie refused to come out of the cupboard for almost a week!!! He would leave it only to eat & toilet & then was straight back in again!! He eventually came round but he took his time about it. Oscar, on the other hand, was into everything.

I then moved a couple of years later into my current abode but was in the position of having my rental home for another month whilst I could to work on my newly bought house. This included putting in new carpets. So I took off-cuts of the carpets back to the rented house and laid them around the floor for the cats to get used to the smell. Well, it worked a treat and they were running around the new house, from day one, like they had lived there all their days.

Maybe if you have some spare rugs from your old home that you could lie on the floor near where Nellie is holed up, the smell will mingle with the 'new' smell & will entice her out.

Don't worry though - she will come out in her own time & when she's ready. Just don't try to force her or you could make it worse.

Good luck in your new home, I hope you are all very happy within it and may it be filled with lots of joy and laughter. :)

9. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

We have only been here 6 hours, so i know it isn't long. She has eaten treats and her biscuits and purrs when i stroke her but i just worry so much that she will never be the same again like she will never sit on the bed with me etc i KNOW i'm overreacting but my anxiety is terrible :(

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Gem, PLEASE don't worry, she will be absolutely fine in her own time. Cats are not big on change, they like their own territory - even the girls - and they just take a little bit of time to readjust to the new comfort zone. 6 hours is no time at all. Honest!! :)

In a couple of days time, once you've started to sort out the guddle of moving in and she starts to see familiar objects again and smell familiar smells AND had a good old nosey about, she will settle.

Also remember, you are currently doing a lot of 'moving in' stuff so she probably feels that under the bed is the safest place to be, out of the way of busy feet. :)

11. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

sending you hugs your cat will be fine!!!

12. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Can only add to all the posts and say...she will be fine hun..sending big hugs your way...we blame ourselves for everything when it comes to our fur babies welfare dont we ;)

She still loves you...just getting used to her new surroundings xx :)

13. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. She is rolling round and purring when i sit behind the bed with her and this evening she come out and ate some biscuits in the middle of the room while i watched tv, she has also enjoyed some dreamies. So fingers crossed things will turn out ok eventually. I just hate seeing her unhappy. The 2 boys are currently abit shook up but hopefully will be fine :) i just worry about nellie so much cause she's a nervous rescue :(

14. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

There ain't much wrong with the cat who comes out for treats!!! :D :D :D

How is she this morning hun? Looking a bit more relaxed I hope.... :)

And how are YOU??? DE-stressing I hope and starting to feel better too. :)

15. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Hey everyone :)
    She slept on my bed all night with me and was rolling round purring and stretched out.
    She went back into hiding about 6am but come out into the middle of the room again when i shook her biscuits, she sat with me and ate them, then had a wee, and went back to her safe place. She looked more relaxed though and was washing for a good 10 mins. She hasn't even been here 24 hours yet so i am feeling a bit more positive, thanks :)

16. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Ahhhhhh, all good news. Excellent!! :D

I really wish the little sods realised how we fret over their every action.... They might be just a little bit more considerate towards us. :(

17. Muzzie

Muzzie PetForums Junior

Me and the OH have only been in our first home just over a month (by 2 days infact!) and at first we thought Esme was fine - she was striding around like the Queen of the world! ;)

However after about 10 minutes she ran away and hid, and mostly we left her to it, occasionally checking on her to see if she was fine and reassuring her we were still there!
    It did take a good few hours but she came round from it, and was back to her normal self by the next day.
    It's just a strange new place for them, unlike us, they don't know where it is or why they're here, just stick in there :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice