Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feel sorry for Teddy

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MySugar, Aug 4, 2009.

1. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Poor Teddy does not seem happy. Pepper stalks him and tries playing with him which he doesn't like. He will bat her sometimes, but a lot of the time he will just turn and walk away looking glum. He is so gentle and gracefull, but i'm wondering if his demeaner comes across this way so much because he is unhappy :( Sometimes he will let me stroke him, but other times he cowers away.
    He is also crying to go outside a lot as he is an outdoors cat. But he has not even been here a week yet so got some time to go. He got out of a small space in an open window once, but luckily just sat on the garden table and I went and picked him up. Now whenever I open the windows I have to watch him like a hawk.
    He is gradually getting closer to us by coming and sleeping next to us on the sofa sometimes, but no laps yet.
    I also worry he doesn't like his new name! He was called Prince but I wasn't a big fan of that and changed it to Teddy, which really suits him. But he seems to dislike it! Maybe it is just because he needs to adjust to it...can a cat dislike it's name? :confused:

I'm being patient with him but I am scared he will never like me or living here :( I worry i'll let him out and he won't come back, but I def can't keep him in forever, he would def be miserable. I am hoping this will get better in the next few weeks before I let him out, but what if it doesn't?

2. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Out of all the 22 people who read this noone has any advice? :confused:

3. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

We have had cats all my life and to be Honest a cat doesn't like being told what to do !!! they own us :D i wouldn't dare do anything against my cats will or they would make my life hell ! i'm sure when he can go out he'll be fine like you say he's an outdoor cat and he's probably a little frustrated..I'm sure he will come back Thomas is 12 years old and hated staying in i kept him in for 2 weeks till me was used to us and his surroundings, he came back x;)

#3 Midnight, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  4. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thanks Midnight.
    Yes, I have been trying to avoid bossing him! Lol. I've been trying to let him to come to me when he's ready and stuff. But feel so bad when he tries to get out and I have to tell him no not yet. Can't help worrying he'll be so glad to be out of here he'll be all "wayhey, freedom, see ya suckers" !!
    I hope you are right, I really do.

5. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Just read this for first time.

I think he might just need more time. We got ruffles/raffles from a Rescue and she was very independent. It was almost like she didn't really need us to start with.

I think he will come round, it's a big change for him, new environment, maybe let him out on a lead in the mean time ?

Best of luck with him. x

6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

maybe he doesnt no how to play?
    sugar is only a baby so its still her main priority, where as teddy may jst wanna be lazy and sunbathe lol

im sure they will work somethin out as midnight said he will prob be frustrated coz he's in and doesnt understand he cant go out yet.

i hope everythin turns out ok. is there no way you can take him in the garden and keep an eye on him? i think once he gets out he'll be more comfortable coz he'll have options.

Fingers crossed for you :)

7. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

I was just going to mention a cat harness? / lead unfortunately it didn't work for me :( a strong cat and a bolt for freedom :nono: he wanted to go out on his terms not mine so he struggled and pulled it off .. :rolleyes:

8. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Hi There.
    Sorry to hear about poor Teddy.
    Sometimes you get a cat that doesn't sit on laps. We had one. She was friendly in every other way, just not a lap cat.
    Here are a couple of suggestions that might make him settle more with you.
    HAM!! Ours love Ham:001_wub:They sit in a row all 3 of them waiting for their turn.

So maybe if you like Ham as well share a couple of slices with him. Just the two of you. Even those chicken slices too.
    Also you can get dried cat nip pop that down while you are with him, and watch him play. It makes a mess but what the hell!!

If you have not let him out much you could try him on a harness and then walk with him around the garden.

I am sure in time you will become his best friend!!:D

9. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Give him time. He's probably feeling out of sorts. He's come to a new home, new people, new smell and a new friend to boot.

He'll settle down and I am sure once he starts going outside again things will be fine :)

10. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thank you. I had considered a harness. It is something I may try if he continues to seem more depressed.
    I presume then you Ruffles/Raffles (Ruffles is such a cute name!) is more loving now then?

Maybe he doesn't, but I think he may do as he has the hunt instinct, he catches a lot of mice (when outside previous house, not in my house, lol).
    Pepper is the kitten, Sugar had to say goodbye earlier this year :(
    I agree he should be more comfy when going out, just hope he learns to love it here. Thank you for your help :)

That is what I fear with a harness, he is very big and strong. He is a Teddy Bear but if he wanted to go i'm sure he would!

Thank you :) I have given him ham, tuna and chicken. Didn't think of chicken slices though. I will give the dry catnip a go, but I will need to take cover with Pepper being near it, she is a loon as it is!!

Thank you. I did consider the poor mite being taken from his home (they'd had him since a kitten), being plonked in a new one and with a naughty kitten! However his old house had 6, yes 6, kids and who knows how many cats and kittens (from memory there were at least 6 cats and kittens! :eek:
    So, I hoped it would be tamer here, he was not liking all the many other residents so just the one kitten and one child may be more copable. But, alas, not so.
    It is the being stuck indoors though that I feel could be the biggest issue for him.

Thank you all for your replies, I shall keep trying to win him over and hope my beautifull Teddy Bear comes to love me :eek:

11. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

12. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

That's ok Hayley, easy mistake to make. I registered on here before I got Pepper so the name is confusing.
    Was just still a little raw from saying goodbye and her name was all I could think of!

13. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya you have only had him a couple of days! It could take months esp with a older cat. One of my cats hid behind the sofa for 2 weeks and didnt eat/poop for 4 days when she got here, I spent most of my time crying!

NOW! Though she is the best cat ever and it was worth all the stress! :)

14. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Awww, thank you Taylorbaby. Poor you being that upset. That makes me feel really quite lucky then, he is eating and drinking fine and is sleeping on the back of the sofa beside me as I type. He just seems depressed.
    Clearly it will just take time. It is the first time i've had an older cat come into the home, it has been kittens before. The two are very different, I need to remember that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice