Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

feel like complete failure !!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Liz1, May 19, 2010.

1. Liz1

Liz1 PetForums Junior

Have thoroughly enjoyed having our 7 month old lab she is fantastic, kids love her and is the best thing we ever did. We took a long time researching having a dog and making sure we had the time to commit etc, and made sure that we were responsible dog owners taking her to training classes etc, she is not perfect as she is only a puppy with still a lot to learn, but we put in the time and effort and hopefully will reap the rewards, she does have a tendancy to jump up we have done all the ignoring, turning our backs etc and she no longer jumps at us, and rarely jumps at strangers, however occasionally if very giddy will jump up at people, I apologise and call her back, the majority of the time she is on her lead as her recall with distractions is not brilliant and has been bitten by another dog, so back on lead, but if we see one of her friends we let her off to play, which is what happened this morning in the woods, suddenly a man appeared with his dog who I have spoken to in past, he not the most chatty but always been ok and as his dog is elderly I always put her back on lead near his dog and she very giddy and wants to play giddy. This morning she jumped up at him and he went mad was so aggressive to me screaming and shouting, he reduced myself and my daughter to tears was screaming and shouting to train your stupid dog etc and it was a good job he was in his jeans, I apologised and explained that she is only 7 months and could he help by telling her to get down, but he just ranted and raved that I had a stupid out of control dog and it should be trained etc, I don't want to go back there again but it is right on our doorstep and the place where I need to walk her before taking kids to school etc, feel like I have done everything wrong and don't know what to do now, dread her jumping up at anyone again. sorry to go on

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Don't beat yourself up... it's happened and you already know and are working on her not jumping. you appologised.. you cannot turn back the time. Can you employ a friend and practise in lots of situations? Also mabey use a long line until she is a bit more reliable? Just a few ideas.
    :)

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I agree,dont give yourself a hard time.Keep working on the recall and jumping etc.maybe use a long line when you are out walking just incase.If you see the man again,just about turn and walk back the other way,its done now and you have appologised.
    Do keep up with the training,as you say,all your hard work now will reap rewards and your dog will get there.x

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I really wouldn't worry too much, sounds like a silly man who knows very little about how hard it is to train young and excitable pups! Mine is nearly 2 now and still jumps up sometimes and will yank my arm off to sniff someone or their dog, he just loves attention and thinks everyone is there to see him!

Forget about that man altogether and enjoy your walks. If you see him I would try and walk past him leaving a nice wide gap so she can't go near him and if he says anything just ask him not to talk to you. Its not fair to upset you or your daughter like that especially when your dog was onlead. If she was offlead and you were 100 feet away not caring it would be different, but having a lead on your dog is about the best way to be in control so I have no idea why he was being such a funny git, sounds like he got out of bed on the wrong side..!

:)

5. Liz1

Liz1 PetForums Junior

Hi thanks very much for your replies, she was actually off lead when she jumped up at him but I got her straight away and put her on her lead, I said to him did your dog never jump up at anyone and he said no it hadn't but I remember now that when I first talked to him months ago he told me she was a rescue dog that he got at 2 years of age, so he hasn't had the puppy training to do !!! I am trying to forget about it and like you say when I next see him will walk the opposite direction, she pulls so hard on the lead when in woods, is great on pavements but associates woods with free play as she used to go off lead the whole walk in woods, she just pulls to any dog or person she sees, whole walk feels like a wrestling match, so we started letting her off when she sees one of her friends like she did this morning she was having a good play and she spotted him coming and ran up to him. Have not had much luck with long line, just end up with a tangled mess and she can really pull me with it. I will persist with the recall and be firm with the jumping up, I will also get some friends to call round and see if they can help by ignoring her or telling her to get down etc. thanks again for your replies.

6. nellist

nellist PetForums Newbie

as above, dont get yourself down over it. our mason does the same to strangers if they give him lots of fuss as he is only 10-11 months old. good thing about him is that he's not too big, but we still did the whole back turning thing and pushing him down and ignoring him and he rarely does it to us now.

if other people get like that just walk off and ignore them, like you say she's a 7 month old puppy! mason's habit is to run full pelt up to other dogs when off lead as he's so excited about the thought of playing and chasing and i had a lady start ranting at me, saying i shouldn't let my dog run up to others, but i just replied he's 10 months old and completely harmless and its his way of playing :)

just keep doing what you doing training-wise and dont let other people put you off your walk. your lab is only 7 months old, she'll grow up eventually :thumbup:

7. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi sorry you had a bad experience with this man, but put it behind you and dont beat yourselve up. Being a lab is your dog food orientated, i get my lab to sit and wait if anyone is walking past and he will not move from my side if i have some chicken in my hand,can still get a bit distrated if a normal treat but if chicken or liver nothing distrates him, may be worth a try and see how it works, good luck and yes you are right he is still only young and has things to learn.

8. nellist

nellist PetForums Newbie

and as you said just, be persistent with the training and telling visitors the routine is important too, as if you train her not to jump up but a visitor does and gives her fuss for doing so she'll never learn it!

and i found the easiest way to do recall (especially with food-motivated dogs) is to take a pocket full of treats, or even just a handfull of her normal kibble. let her off but call her back even from a few feet away to get her attention, then when she comes to you give her LOTS of praise and fuss, and give her a treat. its how we did it with mason, and he's better at recall than our 5 year old collie!
    training pups can be frustrating but be persistent, t's very rewarding when you finally get there :)

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Still doesn't matter, its not like you left her to jump at him you got her back on lead asap, nothing more you could have done :)

Have you tried a head collar? Lots of people on here have used them and it could help to keep an extra bit of control on woodland where she is really pulling (this is assuming you don't use one already). I recommend the Canny Collar over the other as my retriever could get the others off as he walked whereas he had to stop and play around to get the canny off :laugh:

It has a clip on each end of the material straps which you connect your lead to and when you want them to go off lead you just take the lead off and wrap the two straps around the collar part and clip them together so its a normal collar. Then to put them back on lead you just unclip them and slip the band back over the nose :)

[​IMG]

If I know there are lots of dogs/people about where I want to go I will probably still use his canny because its not good for him to lunge on a slip lead a lot which is what he walks in now.

10. Rhi and Cai

Rhi and Cai PetForums Junior

Hi! I have the same trouble with my puppy too, but he's a small breed so it's not as obvious as with a bigger dog.

I'm new to dogs too, but I read in one book that it's a good idea to sit with your dog in an area of high foot traffic. Maybe an outside cafe that allows dogs? It can help your dog to learn who is interested in them and who isn't so your dog may learn when people want her attention and when they don't =)

Don't know if this would be any help, just thought it might be good to know ^^

11. Liz1

Liz1 PetForums Junior

Hi we use a halti head lead if children want to walk her or if areas of high people traffic eg collecting kids from school. But with or without it she doesn't jump up in these situations. She ok with halti on paths but as soon as hits grass lunges to floor to try and rub it off as she associates grass and woods as play time. She pulls towards certain people if on normal lead or on harness lead and if I say leave and be firm she doesnt jump up, her main time of jumping up is if really giddy like this morning she was playing with another dog. I feel as though she won't learn if she always on a lead or on a halti. At dog training they recommended only use halti if kids walking her (not on their own of course) or if in rush collecting school or something when don't have time to concentrate on her not pulling etc, and at other times to use normal lead or harness and concentrate on her not pulling. In woods she just wants to sniff around and play and explore, which when we let her off lead was fine but after getting bitten we put her back on lead. She also goes to areas of high people traffic, school collection time prime example and she is really good will sit and wait for my children and never tried to jump up at the millions of kids that want to stroke her. Will try some new places and see how she goes, thanks again for advice.

12. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

You can use halti's to help the dogs not to pull. We use one on a friend's staff as she's very strong. You could try a half check collar if you wanted. With a halti, make sure you use a double ended lead, one on the halti, one on the collar... The packaging on the back isn't very helpful tbh.

13. leashedForLife

errrmmm... the other way to look at this? :huh: he is almost a YEAR old so no longer a puppy,
    and even among dogs, running full-tilt into another dogs personal space is Rude, RUDE, RUDE.
    its an excellent way for Mason to be bitten by a normally-friendly dog,
    or to traumatize a young pup or pre-teen or a SOFT-natured adult dog who would be very intimidated by this wild-eyed approach.

heres a PDF article -
    He just wants to say "Hi." by Suzanne Clothier | Who's that sayin', "Get off my lawn"?
    the link is in the first post, as is the link for Adobe-Acrobat reader - both FREE.

:nono: it is up to U to ensure that Mason behaves politely - if he CANNOT approach other dogs off-leash politely,
    meaning in an arc, at a moderate pace, with lots of side-on displays of polite non-threat body-language,
    then i would suggest a long-line for Mason out in public until he LEARNS apropos, polite behavior.

if he wants to be a hoyden with dogs he knows, invite them for play to a fenced area where they can slam into one another,
    leap, lunge, wrestle, hip-slam, shoulder-bump, and otherwise be maniacs -
    but the rest of dog-dom does NOT have to put up with such shenanigans. ;)

IMO + IME, he;s being a rude git - and U are allowing him to do so. :eek: oops...

--- terry

#13 leashedForLife, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  14. leashedForLife

hey, liz! :--)
    heres the bad news - :eek:
    by letting her off at random, U reinforce her belief that WOODS = off leash play, on a variable schedule -
    making it virtually impossible to re-train Not Pulling In Woods. :eek: bummer...

the good news?
    using the same gear in a different way, may give U back physical control WITHOUT wrestling the dog:
    a long-line on an H-harness with the leash clipped to the RING on the Chest -
    not at the rear of the ribcage.
    she probly has a harness that fits her; all it needs is a RING where the straps meet.

the leash on her chest eliminates her mechanical advantage and U can use gentle traction to move her ==> sideways -
    if she is to Ur left, she will be moving to the Right; if shes on Ur right, she will move to the <=== Left.
    when U put tension on the long-line, it will turn her ACROSS Ur travel-path and slow her down,
    with very little effort and no danger of hurting the dog; its low-force and very safe.

if the situation is urgent, a continued firm easy pull will end with a U-turn, and she will be facing U -
    making it easy to get her attn off another dog, a person she wants to leap on, a squirrel to chase, etc.

some tips:
    * keep Ur hands \/---- Low -----\/
    * keep Ur wrists + elbows STRAIGHT + move both arms across Ur body, to turn the dog

Emergency U-Turn:
    U have already turned the dog side-on to U - as above;
    HOLD the long-line with the INSIDE arm (the one away from the dog) reach OVER with the outside arm, take another bight
    of long-line, and draw that toward U... repeat with the INSIDE arm, etcetera, coiling the line neatly as U take it in.
    when the dog is within 3 or 4-ft, turn about and face the way U came, and set off with the dog beside U on a loose-leash,
    with the excess held in Ur off-hand (the one AWAY from the dog) - the near-hand controls the dog + leash-segment.

jumping-up:
    vid-link: pos-R, re-training a chronic jump-to-greet Lab - Pet Forums Community

happy B-Mod, :)
    --- terry

15. nellist

nellist PetForums Newbie

dont think masons the only 'rude git' :lol: ...... (joke)..:D

should have really better explained, he USED to run right upto them which was bad yes and very rude of him, especially as he sometimes did bump into them! :eek: but since then we get him to heel with treats untill close and we can see the other dog wants to play/meet, and now he tends to run round them more if they start to approach with a wagging tail.
    admittedly he has had a dog lunge at him which in a way we think taught him a lesson. it only open-mouth lunged, no biting or anything so told him to keep away. now he seems to run towards them then round in a massive arc, then runs away as though saying 'pleeeease chase me!' :lol:
    and yes he's nearly a year and not officially a 'puppy', but most dogs still act over-excited for the first year or so of their lives! :)
    thing which was difficult to get this over-excitable behaviour out of him is the fact we only had him from roughly 6 months old, and for all we know he may have never been walked. he definitely hadnt been trained, didnt even really know how to sit let alone be walked on a lead properly. but we have got very far with him! he heels real nicely with treats and we only let him go to see the other dog if it starts to approach. he still runs towards them but either slows and stops or arcs round them before trotting back up to them nicely :)

good thing about him too is that he's only small-ish and doesnt look at all threatening! but yes i can see exactly how the other dog would see it especially after reading that article, but as said we only allow mason to go up to other dogs is they start to approach us with a wagging tail.
    plus, having only had mason less than half a year we still have some training to do! and having very nearly finished university we will soon have a lot more time to devote to getting his 'etiquette' sorted!!

ANYWAY - sorry to steal this topic!!

#15 nellist, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hi,
    Just wanted to echo what everyone has said - dont take it to heart or let it stop you going there.

I have been where you are and nearly let one person and their dog spoil things for me but remember, what goes round comes round. It wasnt long before I realised I wasnt the only one "picked on". I worked out all sorts of scenarios and how I would deal with them but always managed to come out the underdog and that was just a handful of times. I now keep Heidi with me everytime I see them and others are starting to see this person's true colours. My line at the mo(should the need arise) is "there is nothing you can say to me that I will want to listen to". I have tried everything to be peaceable and state me case nicely so that will be my line.

Maybe a treat, or ball if your dog likes a ball will keep him with you quickly when you need it or a squeaky toy. What ever you find works, only use that particular thing when its really important so that it doesnt lose its novelty.

Good Good luck, chin up and dont let one person spoil things xx

17. mum2three

mum2three PetForums Junior

Hi, your dog sounds a lot like mine, infact it could almost have been me writing this post. My 6 /12 month GSP is a big dog so I sometimes feel people don't see him as a puppy. He doesn't get play time with other dogs so gets ubber excited whenever he gets close to one. He's fine jumping on people when we are out unless someone speaks to him, then he goes as nuts as he does with dogs. He even nibbles fingers if people carry on making a fuss of him (even more embarassing in winter when he was pulling gloves off, lol).

I started letting him off a while ago. It was great when it was just me and him walking along the line. He would come and sit when I called, play fetch and never went too far away from me. Unfortunately if he saw a dog, person, horse etc before me I had no chance of getting him back. He would stop and look at me for a second then carry on running to whatever he'd seen. I tried a squeaky toy which worked a couple of times but soon lost its power over him. I tried running the other way, which again only worked a few times. After an old dog turning nasty because of his over playful nature, watching in fear as he sniffed around a horses back legs, and a couple of comments about how I should be careful of offending people I've given up letting him off while I work harder on his re-call.

It gets confusing when people see you walking your excited pup and tell you he needs to be let off for a run and then another says not to let him off till he's 100% re-call. I seemed to always be justifying myself to people whatever I did.

We've joined a local training club now. Only been two weeks and at the moment he's nuts the whole time he's there with so many dogs and people but hopefully he will get immune to it soon. I have been surprised at how much he has listened in class inspite of whats going on around us. Also throwing out his extending lead as I've realised that letting him walk 15 ft in front of me is not helping us as he thinks he's pack leader so probably only responds when he feels like it. He now stays on short lead walking by my side (a little behind me) and I have a long line to use to play fetch and training sit and stay, re-call etc while we're in a nice open field. Fingers crossed he'll be a model pup soon.

Sorry for the essay, wanted to let you know that you are far from alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice