Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feel like a bad owner at the moment...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by fuzzymum, Feb 1, 2012.

1. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

So, to cut a long story short, my OH was out of work between june and nov last year. He managed to get a job in nov, but they closed the restaurant down in early january. This means I am poor, quite seriously poor atm.

We are at risk of losing the flat and we are living off beans on toast most nights.

Now, Maddie has bad skin. She suffers from itchy bald spots and folliculitis (sp?). I was feeding her barking heads, which suited her down to the ground and really improved her skin to the point where it was all gone. I simply cannot afford this anymore and have reverted back to chappie, which is what i was feeding her before (skin was better but not clear).

She is getting itchy spots again :crying: i feel so bad for her, but i just cant cut back on anything anymore than i already have :( is there any better foods for skin problems out there that dont cost too much? My limit is probably £20-£25 pound for a sack.

Please dont shoot me down for this, I really am doing my best atm, things are so hard. I really need some advice :crying:

2. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

just wanted to say i hope someone can help. don't feel bad, i don't know about the skin side but sometimes mine have to eat whatever is in the cupboard because i have to wait til payday to be able to get them anything proper. this has meant eating rice and veg and branflakes with bits of meat in

3. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

That's awful hun. I feel for you. But don't beat yourself up. She has a loving home and is very cared for, that's more important than anything.

Only food I can think of is autarky smlon and rice. It's £36.98 for two bags delivered from berriewood. No wheat or maize which is what usually causes skin issues and a decent meat content. Besides that I's suggest skinners duck and rice or salmon and rice, low meat content but much better than chappie and no maize etc.

It may also be worth a call to CSJ, I'm not familiar with all their range but their nutritionist will be able to recommend you something I'm sure. She's really helpful and CSJ do a huge amount of very cheap, but decent foods.

If you have a garden centre local they sometimes sell skinners etc cheaper than online.

Might even be worth thinking about raw? DAF minces are very cheap and you'd just need to add a little liver. I feed two dogs on about £35 - £40 a month, so one dog would be half. They usually have a minimum order but I explained I don't have room and they waved it.

#3 Lyceum, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. fuzzymum

How much is autarky for one bag? I don't think I could stretch to that in one go. Also, im hoping to get something readily available, so that if i can't make my money stretch i can just pick up a smaller bag to last me a few days.

Thankyou xxx

5. fuzzymum

I hadn't even considered raw, will look into it x

6. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I think it's £17.99 for one bag.

What does your local pet shop have?

I know how you feel hun, have often gone without to feed the dogs, you can't spend the cash if you don't have it, simple as that.

I'm wondering if home cooked or raw would be hugely cheaper because with home cooked you can prepare, freeze and feed as needed, with raw you can defrost as needed. If you're low it's just a question of popping the sop and seeing what's on offer or in the discount section.

7. fuzzymum

Well I work in a pet shop, we stock mainly the more popular brands, JWB, Royal Canin, all that sorta stuff.

Im thinking raw may be the way forward, i didnt realise it was so cheap. I always thought it was confusing though :confused:

8. Paganman

Paganman PetForums Senior

It can be done quite cheaply. Look for the yellow sticker stuff and speak to a good butcher for the really cheap (good) stuff.

Years ago most people were very stuck for cash but made do without commercial dog foods.

My nan had 12 kids and a husband who died aged 45yrs.. Never ever bought dog food in her life.

All the best :)

9. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Look at Durham animal feeds.

If you got a box of chicken and a box of lamb it would be under £20 and would easily last a month for one dog (that would be 40 1lb packs). If you called and just told them you're low on cash and can't afford the minimum I'm sure they'd sort something out. Throw in a little liver a few times a week (I got 2kg for £2 from out butcher and froze it) and you have a complete meal.

I imagine home cooked would be similar but I've no idea how to work out what's needed with home cooked.

10. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Nobody is going to shoot you down for doing the best you can for your dog. Why should they? It is when people say they have getting rid of the dog because they can't afford to feed him, but still manage their booze and fags that people get narky.

I have never fed raw, but from what everyone is saying it could be your answer. I have also read a lot of raw feeders say their dogs are much healthier on it, so it is certainly worth giving it a go.

I hope things pick up for you soon.

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

If you find a great butcher it can be done very cheaply indeed; I pay about £12 -15 for 6 weeks' worth of food from the butcher as I get a lot for free or very cheaply. I do supplement with tripe chunks from PAH, ACV, eggs, sardines and probiotic yoghurt but these are not essential items.

I could feed Kilo for £2 -3 / week with simply what I get from the butcher and he is 45kg.

12. fuzzymum

Do you have any idea how much I would need to feed her daily? She is roughly 24kg.

and how much room does it take up? I can always ask my parents if i can store some at theirs, and it isnt like there is much food in my freezer right now :eek:

13. fuzzymum

I probably sound silly, but it sounds a little complicated and cant quite get my head around it :eek: I had a read through the raw thread a little while ago and was a bit confused. I reckon having it packaged up could be a bonus for me. :rolleyes:

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

24000/100 x 2.5 = 600

So....600g / day if you work on 2.5% body weight.

Kilo eats about 1.2 - 1.4kg / day at present. It does need to be researched carefully though (although isn't as complex as it seems once you get into it) - the stickies in this section of PF are great and there are some really knowledgeable, helpful folk here.

15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Sorry, posted again before you did! Prepackaged may be a bonus for you. I get lots of stuff then spend a while putting it into bags so I can just take out individual meals.

16. fuzzymum

thankyou, i will have a read through and do some research. Might start off with DAF first then see how I go xx

17. Paganman

Paganman PetForums Senior

Its not!

Its kinda like the dog training threads, its as complicated as you want it to be.

Think how dogs were fed in the old days, they not only survied but worked.

Why not work your dog ratting in exchange of wild rabbit? stranger things have happened and needs must and that :)

18. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Do give it a go with raw. I pay 34p for 500g of chicken mince with bone (Dog Food Company, don't think the go down as far as you). It's the cheapest method, IMO.

19. fuzzymum

lol unfortunately I share my house with too many small furry things to work Maddie. And being a typical stupid staffie she probably wouldn't know what to do - i would most likely get a lump of coal in return for her efforts :rolleyes: haha!

20. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Skinners Field and Trial is VAT zero rated and they do Hypo allergenic ones
    You can get all sorts of deals on it if you check here is just one place it starts at £16.99 for 15Kg

Search Results : MedicAnimal.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice