Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Mister_Spencer, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Mister_Spencer

Mister_Spencer PetForums Newbie

Hello All :)
    I am new here
    I bought my first cornsnake (hatchling) on Friday 10th Aug 2018 - The lady I bought her from said she had been feeding on mice pinkies every saturday and she sent me all the records via email of her feeds etc. so I tried to feed her the following morning with no luck I just left her cause I thought it could be due to stress a couple of days later she Shed but her head eas still covered I left it a couple of days then put her in a shallow dish of luke warm water because I read this softens the skin it eventually all came off from her head and eyes. so this saturday i tried to feed again with no luck I tried braining, cutting the pinkie in half, scenting the mouse with chicken, putting the snake in a box within its cage with the pinkie over night, opening the snakes mouth a little and placing a little bit of the pinkie in the snakes mouth she gripped it but soon as i set her down she spat it out I tried that twice (All things I have read online) still no luck so I am going to leave her for a few days - no handling just strictly going in to clean and change water then try feed again hopefully that works but if not I will try scenting with tuna.

I just wondered does anybody have anything else I can try.

I have read cornsnakes can go 2-3months without food and 7-10 days without water is this for baby snakes too or just adults

its just frustrating that i dont know why she hasnt ate for me but on her records she ate everytime :Nailbiting

thank you kindly for reading this and i apreshiate any help given

Thank You

2. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

Whoa, whoa, whoa... You tried all that in one night?
    No wonder she didn't eat the second time, the first will have been stress of a new environment.
    When people recommend those tricks, they should be tried one at a time, one per feed and only when the snake is visibly losing weight as a last ditch attempt to feed before assist or force feeding. Your hatchling did not need any of those tricks, especially not assist feeding.

Leave her a week with nothing but water changing, then try placing a defrosted pinky in her enclosure, near wherever she is laid, leave it overnight and if she hasn't eaten, remove it and leave her be. Keep trying to feed every 5 days, and until she has two feeds without issue don't handle her.

Baby corns can definitely go a few months without any food, adults can go closer to 6/7 months without food(a couple of mine frequently go 3-4 months over breeding season willingly not eating) provided it is healthy.
    The stress of a move can cause them to go off food for a little bit. One of ours refused to eat for just over a month after we bought her, but eventually she got there and she has eaten consistently since, we've had her nearly 3 years now.

Mister_Spencer likes this.
  3. Mister_Spencer

Thank you so much :) no i didnt do them all in one day that was just what I have tried I typed into google how to get snakes to eat and those are what people were saying to do I did try a couple of methods this saturday though so yeah I was wrong by doing so, I dont know you just worry I guess you learn from your mistakes so glad i stumbled upon this forum.

I am just leavig her be so dont handle her until she feeds for 2 feeds in a row without any problems?
    I have watched videos and some mention 'train feeding' where as once they eat the first mouse you give them another will i need to do this with her missing 2weeks ?

Thank you again for your help

4. Acidic Angel

Yes, leave her until she's had two successful feeds in a row.

I wouldn't bother with "train feeding", it's usually used for snakes that need bigger prey but won't take it straight away so you "train" them to take larger prey by offering two or more smaller ones in a row without a break, the snake then thinks it's swallowing something bigger than it is.

5. Mister_Spencer

Yeah i will just leave that be then I will stick to one pinkie :) thanks. just another quick question sorry - when you say place the pinkie next to where she is laying and leave her be. are cornsnakes supposed to strike at their food?

Thank yu again

6. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

Hiya.
    The first feeding that was missed was most likely due to stress.
    I usually wait about a week after bringing home a snake to feed them, and then handle them a few days after their second feed.
    I recently brought home a 7 month old female Ball Python, she was said to not have eaten for a few months and wasn't a good eater.
    She has eaten every single time I've offered food to her since i got her last month :)
    Just goes to show, just because the previous owner or breeder says something about the animal doesn't always guarantee its the truth :(
    I'd slow down on all the tricks, leave her a couple weeks without offering food, and then offer a pinky. She should take it when she's hungry enough/settled in :)
    Snakes are smart, they won't starve themselves. Just keep an eye on her weight and she'll be fine ;)

7. Wild With Roxi

Corns can, and will in a lot of cases strike at their food, but tbh Captive Corns know there's no need to strike so a lot don't bother lol

8. Mister_Spencer

Update: Placed the defrosted pinkie in there with her lastnight came home and it was still there so have removed it will try again on wednesday (5days) hopefully she will start eating soon...

not to sound stupid or anything but could it possibly where I buy the pinkies from? i.e a dog sometimes will only eat a certain brand of food what about a snake even though a pinkie is a pinkie but could where I buy them from effect anything?

Thank you again really apreshiate the help

9. Acidic Angel

I'm not sure concerning the source of mice. Maybe try a different source and if she starts eating, stick with that source.

10. Mister_Spencer

Yeah I suppose I can only try :) I thought it might be a silly question but I thought it could be a possibility.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  11. Wild With Roxi

There's always a chance, snakes are funny animals ;)

Acidic Angel likes this.
  12. Mister_Spencer

Another thing.. I read corn snakes like the warm end to be between 21-30°C (70-86°F) I'm running a microclimate ministat 100 and have it set on 29- I also have a digital thermometer running along side it and going from readings on the thermometer at 26.3 degrees C the heat mat kicks in and warms up until 30.4 then the ministat shuts off the temp on the thermometer reaches 30.9 then starts dropping straight away until it hits 26.3 and kicks in again.

are these temps okay?

13. Acidic Angel

That sounds about right for a microclimate ministat, as they are on/off stats and have a large temperature range between turning on and off. Part of the reason I prefer pulse stats is they are more accurate, and usually only have a temperature range of about 0.5c, they consistently pulse electricity to the heat mat to keep it as stable as possible.

It should be perfectly fine as long as it's not staying up past 30c for a prolonged period, they deal with a large temperature range in their natural habitat as it is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice