UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, firstly I am new to this site and having looked at various posts it is great :) I would like some help regarding feeding my 2 indoor cats please. I have a 4yr old ragdoll and a 3yr old persian silver tabby who have both recntly developed runny stomachs .As they dont go out I guess it must be the food and am trying to find products that are going to help! I have just purchased and am gradualy introducing Orijen fish dried feed and this seems to helping but I like to give them one wet feed a day and want to find a grain free tinned feed . Any ideas pls ?:confused:

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
The best quality grain free canned foods are not available for sale in UK stores, but you can buy them online on websites such as Zooplus.

If you buy in bulk it is no dearer than buying supermarket stuff, and if you order over £19, delivery within the UK mainland is free.

Here is a link to the grain free makes they sell:

Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus

You might also be interested in the "Sensitive" foods listed as well.

Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply , I will try Grau and see how it goes. I was shocked when I looked at some sensitive dry feeds , they have high grain contents which I didnt expect ! One more question , my 2 adore human consumption tuna in spring water but have read along the way this is not good for them . Any opinions on this welcome :)

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Tuna cat food is fortified with the vitamins and minerals (e.g. taurine) that cats need. Tuna for human consumption is not. Tuna (and other large deep sea fish) are all contaminated with mercury to some extent, and for that reason it is advised that tuna is eaten sparingly (by humans or cats!).

A very occasional treat of tuna in spring water won't do any harm, but why not pick one of the makes of tuna specially for cats? There are many makes of good quality, then at least they are getting the nutrients they need. It should still be only an occasional treat though.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you once again :) It is probably best if I dont give it to them at all and find a suitable tinned food as if I give them tuna at all they wont eat anything else for supper and get very vocal lol At least they must be getting all the vits etc they need with Orijen surely ?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
welcome to the forum - would love to see some pictures of your cats at some point :) Re grains in diets don't dismiss all foods because they have grains in them. Grau with rice is actually a very good food and is very useful as it is one of the few single source protein foods on the market [not the fish ones though]. It has a small amount of rice in it. One of my cats has IBD and he has the chicken & rice and he is thriving on it. If your cats have sensitive tums it could be anything in the food that causes it, it need not be the grain, mainy cats have intolerances to chicken & beef for example. Re the tuna I let mine have a little bit occasionally as a treat. Definitely not the tuna with brine or oil though, only the one with spring water!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I understand what you are saying about rice, having bred dogs for many years rice was always used when tummies upset and I know food 'allegies' are tricky and to top it all my ragdoll is a very poor doer and I would love to get a bit of weight on her to give her a bit more substance to keep her going when she is unwell which is usually around this time of year :( The other of course would eat shavings if I put them down for him lol Its all very tricky to juggle me thinks :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.