Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, May 6, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Many posts on here seem to be about feeding, but I have a slightly different question.

Is your main concern simply that your dog accepts/eats their food, or do you care about your dog actually enjoying mealtimes?

In my opinion, walks, play and food are some of the main important things in a dog's life, so for me it is important that food is not just to stay alive, but also to be enjoyed.

Bella eats mostly dry food, but I have got samples of many to find teh one she likes the tase of best, and I often mix in leftovers or some boiled chicken/rice/veg.

I also give her raw bones, dog chews (pig ears, greenies, rawhide chews) and treats.

The thing that inspired me to write this thread is a certain person I know whose 6 year old has never tasted ANYTHING (no chews/treats/bones/letfovers...NOTHING) other than his dry food, which has been the same brand and type from day 1. Personally, I find this horrific.

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I do a lot of training with my dogs and find it essential to have treats of different values for them to get them to work well.

I use a random schedule of reinforcement (they never know if they will get a treat or what it will be) to reward good behaviour as this gives me the consistently best results so the boys will get anything from dry food to cheese, fish treats of liver cake. If I just gave them dried food all the time they'd soon decide it wasn't worth their while and ignore me!

They get the same dried food every day (Vizsla with food intolerances doesn't allow for a lot of variation) but they have lots of different things added such as raw lamb/beef mince, veg, rice etc so i don't think there's much danger of them getting bored, although I'm sure they would with the same plain food every day.

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Well, for his main meals, I'm just happy if he eats it and he is getting the nutrients he needs from it. The treats can and will vary to keep his interest during the day, such as chicken, ham, cheese etc, and he gets a rawhide bone in the evening. I don't know if I could give him no treats at all, I think personally he would miss out something.

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

my dog eats better than me ..........and i pay the bills, he just sits there looking doggish:)

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

IT seems so far that we agree that dogs deserve some variety in their diet, and that they deserve to eat tasty food:):)

6. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Mine don't get treats or left overs, but they do occassionally get the odd raw bone to chew on. I also change the brand of their feed every few months, depending on the time of year, and they have a raw meal every week.

I don't think it's a bad thing for a dog not to get treats, but by not keeping a varied diet the gut flora isn't going to be very extensive - not a good thing IMO.

Forgot to add that mine also get a bowl of milk daily (ducks behind parapet!)

#6 shamykebab, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

dogs rely on their nose far more than their sense of taste.

their taste buds arent all that good tbh.

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

a good probiotic food can help a lot tho as can natural yoghurt

9. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Yes, if the dog isn't getting a varied diet, or is prone to dietary problems.

10. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

It's been such a struggle to get bram to even eat! So we have to make sure he likes it. He doesn't really get treats, his food bowl is always topped up and he gets left overs and bones if we go out.

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I like my dogs to enjoy their food.

That being said it's a struggle something Sky likes AND does well on so if she's eating a food for the sake of it then I'm happy because at least she's getting the nutrients she needs.

But she's on a food she enjoys anyway after a long while of searching so it's all good.

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think they must get bored with the same stuff. My lot eat their morning kibble but not with as much relish as their tea (kibble mixed with Applaws chicken and veg tinned).
    Plus they get abit of what Im having if its suitable at lunchtime(ie-scrambled egg or fish) and if I think they have done enuf exercise!.:D
    Also they have treats at different times. Little training treats when they go back on lead at the end of the walk (they look sooooo well behaved all sat lined up!!) and a gravy bone at bedtime gets them all running into the kitchen to sleep.:)

13. davehyde

davehyde Banned

gonna get slated here i reckon lol.

a typical otis food day

6.00 am toast with daddy and maybe some cereal too. lick the bowl for daddy so it goes in the dishwasher already clean.

6.20 ish

out the back garden for a pee and a bit of a play. finish off with a few milk bones, daddy goes to work.

8 - 9 am mummy gets up, otis has more toast and his skinners. maybe with rice or chicken or sometimes just skinners.

walks and training during the day with tasty treats.

6.00 pm daddies home, otis gets played with and has whatever daddy has for tea. except chilli or curry.

7.00 otis gets his dinner, skinners again with whatever else we put in it.

otis is spoiled for a bit with biccies or bread and butter or a nice piece of chicken etc.

otis also has a crisp or two and always gets the empty crisp packet to play with.

14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I learned this one the hard way unfortunately. Found what I thought was the best puppy food I could afford but spent most of my time encouraging her to eat it.
    Got the adult a bit better as she seemed keen to eat it but struggled because the kibble was hard.
    Joined here. Picked a lot of brains and realised I could improve on her food and my pocket so this time sent for samples of the ones I felt best and let her choose. She chose the one I least expected and has been eating it with gusto ever since.

I have noticed in my travels how much more dogs seem to thrive if they enjoy their food whatever the brand.

Heidi gets her Skinners Salmon/rice, raw bones, heart, chicken wings etc. I would love to give her yogurt but she struggles with dairy and altho it doesnt effect her pooh, yogurt seems to make her itchy:arf:

15. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I've got to be careful with fizz but she still gets food she enjoys....well she looks like she does anway....if she doesn't start eating within a min of it being put down or it gets left i asume she doesn't like it.
    Both Fizz and Penny seem to enjoy what they're eating....they eat JWB....and every other day i give variety....like chicken and rice which is a fave of them both...liver ocasionally which they love....scrambled egg with chicken....I vary it so it's different all the time., this way they never seem to get bored of the main food which is JWB. If they didntenjoy it they wouldnt get it....I wouldnt like to eat something i didnt like

16. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Penny loves the empty crisp packets....she manages to lick them for hours lol

17. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

everyone knows about ollie being overweight. this was purely due to diet. he was fed far too many large treats, such as bonios and jumbones and he didn't eat his main meals. now he simply has his burns food on its own and training treats at other time. if i changed his food, he'd be fussy. ollie hasn't got bored yet from his bland meals yet. as long as he gets a complete diet, it doesn't really matter if you don't add anything to his meals.

18. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If Dixie didn't like her food, she wouldn't eat it. She's not fussy, (much!) but you can't get her to eat anything she doesn't like (Dave can if he tries to steal it sometimes).

She wasnt keep on pedigree chum puppy so I changed her onto a pet shops own brand high chicken content dry food and she has been fine with dry food since- even if I occasionally mix it with meat she still eats it dry. She didn't like chudleys though, when Dave was on junior Dixie stayed on the wagg. She won't always eat breakfast though, but I offer it her anyway as she looks so sad when I don't!

Dave however, will eat Anything, and I mean anything. If you offer something to him, it Must be edible. If it's on the floor, it has to be food and if its in his dish, it wont be there 2 minutes later!
    Dave loves his dinner wether its dry, mixed with meat, or even if its half a cup of dry after his fave- table scraps. Puddles of drool collect underneath him if I take too long to organise breakfast or dinner :lol:

19. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

All the doggies here are spoilt rotten:) The only way it should be in my opinion!

20. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I feed my mob on Skinners Duck and Rice .They used to have a bit of Wainwrights complete wet food on it . I have now got a small dog freezer and they have some sort of meat in morning and a tiny bit of complete in the evening they get just complete.I was worried they might stop eating there evening meal but i needn't have they stuff there food but being mostly cavs they eat anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice