Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding whole fish

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by applecrumlin, May 27, 2017.

1. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Hello, does anyone here have advice or experience of feeding dogs on fish?
    My friend has a small fishing boat, he occasionally runs into shoals of mackerel and can catch dozens at a time in the summer. My dog loves fish but I was quite cautious last year and only gave her cooked fillets.

*I know she'd eat it raw if given the chance, but I also know that some raw fish isn't safe unless frozen first, and
    *I'm also unsure about giving her the bones and guts.
    *Finally, she only weighs 7kg so even a single fish would be a whole day's food for her -- would it be a balanced meal, or too rich/too oily etc?

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions on whether and how to feed it to her this year.
    Thanks in advance :)

#1 applecrumlin, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I've only fed pieces, I did freeze them first. I think I remember @Lauren5159 posting about fish?

applecrumlin likes this.
  3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Lucky you! My dogs love mackerel but I have to buy the frozen ones. I cook them first and remove the head, backbone and fins. The dogs have most of the meat, usually mixed with a little kibble and scrambled eggs. The backbone goes into the dustbin and the head, fins and any other bits are given to the cat.

applecrumlin likes this.
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I feed raw fish if it is on offer, or I am given some.

Bones are not really an issue

All fish are gutted

I rarely freeze before feeding unless I have a big batch

Personally do not think there is any major health benefit over feeding tinned pilchards/sardines or mackeral.

Some dogs may reacquaint themseles with raw fish at first so be warned............ :)

Sairy and applecrumlin like this.
  5. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Whole raw fish are fine, the bones are not a problem heads on and guts in too.

applecrumlin likes this.
  6. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Whole fish is fine, although Lola begs to differ....

IMG_3168.JPG

applecrumlin and Magyarmum like this.
  7. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Thanks everyone.

It sounds like anything goes, limited only by the dog's preference and digestion!

It just seems daft not to take advantage when it's there for the taking, and she likes it. She loves coming out in the boat with us, and being able to snack on the catch will be an extra treat for her.

Magyarmum, I suppose mackerel is quite exotic in Hungary? How far away is the nearest coastline?

Miffymoo, I love the picture! It looks like Lola is wondering when the chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce will arrive :)

8. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

When my lot were given their first raw fish they were all sick and threw the whole lot up all over the house, oh what a stinking mess !
    I have since very coarsely, minced whole fish and added some whole pheasant or rabbits to the mix. The fish always stayed inside the dogs that way.
    I now just add small whole fish or chopped up larger fish to meals whenever I am given any. The dogs don't throw up anymore!

applecrumlin likes this.
  9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

The nearest two coastlines are Trieste Italy which is 282 miles and Rijeka Croatia which is 266 miles from Budapest. Hungarians tend to holiday at Lake Balaton which has beaches just like you find at the seaside.

We can only buy frozen sea fish mainly hake or salmon and occasionally mackerel, haddock and whitebait which I dehydrate for the dogs.. Fresh water fish like carp or trout and a few other funny looking ones I don't know the name of, I can buy fresh from the hypermarket.

applecrumlin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice