Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding Wet food is expensive!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Seb_the_Siamese, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Seb_the_Siamese

Seb_the_Siamese PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot on this forum about food and have read multiple times that Wet food is the way to go - however, having looked at the wet food that has been recommended, it is equal to or more than double the cost of feeding a dry diet!!

How can I feed my cats a healthy diet whilst keeping the cost of feeding down? Which wet AND dry foods would you recommend (for a kitten but also for when he grows up)?

Thanks so much!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Seb_the_Siamese - it is true that good quality wet foods are more expensive than poor quality dry food. But the "better" quality dry food is almost as expensive as average quality wet food.

To be frank, I would rather feed a cheap and cheerful wet food any day to my cats, if that's all I could afford, in preference to any dry food on the market.

Savings can be made on wet food by buying in bulk online. Canned food is always cheaper than pouches and often comes in 400 gram tins, some makes come in 800 gram tins. The 800 gram size is around 2 days worth of food for 2 cats (possibly less than 2 days depending how much they eat). You can decant the food from the tin into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge so it will keep over night.

Animonda Carny is a reasonable quality food. 12 x 800 gram tins for £22.99 = £1.91 a tin (cost per kg = £2.39

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/rafine/animonda_carny_adult/585477

Feringa Classic is also a decent food, 12 x 400 gram tins for £14.99 = £1.24.tin (cost per kg = £3.12)

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/feringa_wet_cat_food/saver_packs/437333

Macs is a good food, 6 x 400 gram tins for £8.49 = £1.41 a tin (cost per kg = £3.54) Macs also does an 800 gram size tin, but I am not sure whether Zooplus has stopped selling it, or
    if it is just out of stock atm.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/macs/cans/680977

Smilla Tender Poultry 6x 800 gram tins for £7.99 = £1.33 a tin! (cost per kg = £1.66)

Also I would have a look at some of the supermarkets own makes of wet cat foods in foil trays. I can't recommend any personally as I have never fed any to my cats, but I have heard some forum members speak well of one or more of the Sainsbury's own makes.

As for dry food I can't recommend any. I don't have any in my house, my opinion of it is that low. \

But if you are determined to feed some dry then I'd go for a make that has as few ingredients as possible, and is comparatively low in carbs and high in meat protein. Thrive Premium Plus is one such example. There may be others.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/thrive#574356

Avoid cheap makes of dry such as Gocat, which we would not feed to the Shelter cats even when the food has been donated to us .

Calvine, lymorelynn and Cully like this.
  3. Seb_the_Siamese

Thanks for the reply @chillminx !

Animonda and Smila seem to be quite affordable types of food - but their kitten food seems SO MUCH more expensive than the adult food! Would it be okay to feed the kittens adult food do you think? Is there even much difference between the kitten and adult foods? Or would it better to keep them on dry kitten food that we can afford until they are old enough? The breeder is currently feeding Royal Canin mother and Baby but this only goes up to 4 months of age, when we pick our kitten up he will be 9 weeks old, so just over two months which means we will have to think about changing foods soon anyway.

4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Leave out the dry food as soon as you can!

The kitten food is usually a bit higher in protein. But there is absolutely no reason to prefer it to the regular food. Have you ever heard that kitten get fed special kitten mice in nature? ;)

Kitten food is a marketing gimmick, nothing else.

Seb_the_Siamese likes this.
  5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Something leaps out at me from your post: at 9 weeks this kitten is too young to be leaving its mother and siblings. At nine weeks some of mine would certainly not be fully weaned and the majority will still take milk from mum up until they do leave at around 13 weeks.
    That said, once you get him home do not make any sudden changes to his diet. As a breeder I introduce my kittens to several different varieties of wet food and will always put samples of what they're used to in their kitten packs.
    When feeding wet food, so long as it is a good make with a high meat content I don't feel the need for kitten varieties but be warned some contain larger amounts of offal which can cause stomach upsets.
    Feeding wet can be expensive but as @chillminx says, any wet is better than dry. If your kitten has only had dry food you may find it more difficult to get him into wet.

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Seb_the_Siamese - special foods for kittens is a relatively new concept. It didn't exist 20 years ago and we all raised our kittens on standard (adult) cat foods without harm. :)

Some makes of kitten food are exactly the same as the adult version, so in those cases it is a bit of a con.

Where there are differences between Adult and Kitten foods it tends to be the protein content and/or the fat. The vitamin and mineral supplements are usually the same in both.

In some of the foods I listed in my previous post:

Animonda Carny Kitten contains :11% protein (on a Dry Matter Basis) and 6% fat (on a DMB)
    Animonda Carny Adult (Beef) contains: 11.5% protein (on a DMB) and 5.5% fat (DMB)

So the adult food actually contains slightly more protein than the kitten version. I see no problem with feeding them the adult version.

Feringa Classic Adult : 10% protein (DMB) and 6.2% fat (DMB)
    Feringa Kitten : 11.1% protein (DMB) and 6.6% fat (DMB)

I wouldn't keep them on dry food until they are adults. You may find you have problems getting them to accept wet food by then.

EDIT: crossposted with Lynn. :) I agree with Lynn - some adult versions of wet food contain higher amounts of offal in the recipe, (particularly heart, which in cat food manufacturing terms counts as muscle meat, so may not be declared separately in the list of ingredients). Something worth being aware of and why it's important to introduce wet foods a little at a time. Best to not make changes to Seb's diet until he has been with you for about a month.

#6 chillminx, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  7. Seb_the_Siamese

Thanks @chillminx and @lymorelynn - I'm very appreciative of the support!

So far he's been fed RC mother and baby cat as well as Felix 'as good as it looks' Sachets (which, according to this website, really are not as good as they look!). We've got supplies of both at home already so as to minimise the change he has to cope with when he arrives but we are planning to somehow move him over to either Animonda or Smilla (hopefully he doesn't reject it!)

Are feeding guidelines on tins generally accurate? I have seen in some places that kittens should be given as much as they want to eat - not sure if thats true!
    How would you go about transitioning him over? Would it be advisable to mix foods?

Sorry for so many questions - we're a first time family and want to do everything right!

8. Seb_the_Siamese

Also, off the back of that - if we have 800g tins, how long would those last in the fridge? Would we be okay to keep it in the fridge for 2 days?

9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I know someone who buys the large cans (800g) and freezes half. She reckons it's fine. I think she freezes it in daily amounts, so if she uses 200g a day, per meal, she would freeze 400g in two x 200g batches. As it all looks much the same, she writes on the container whatever it is. I have enough cats that I don't need to do it, but you might try it once or twice and see how it works. It might save you a few quid.

#9 Calvine, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  10. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I'd say that was pretty accurate - they will seldom overeat. I'm always staggered at how much kittens can put away . . . . 4 X 100g pouches a day seems to be the norm with the ones I have fed! They are growing and they are very active so they need loads.

chillminx likes this.
  11. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Young kittens should be given as much as they will eat - kittens seldom over eat. 800g tins do offer the best value and will keep for a couple of days in the fridge - transfer from the tin into a tupperware type container. Or you can freeze into portions

Seb_the_Siamese and chillminx like this.
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with Lynn and Calvine, kittens should be given as much wet food as they want. They have a lot of growing to do and they use a lot of energy running about exploring.

The same doesn't apply to dry food - I would never feed a kitten as much dry food as they wanted, because dry is very high in carbs and calories. So if feeding any dry food I suggest being strict about measuring out an exact portion, e.g. for one of his daily meals.And perhaps putting it in a puzzle feeder, so it takes him longer to eat it.

I would not just put a dish of dry out for him to graze on all day, as being an obligate carnivore he does not need to graze, and it is not healthy for his digestion. He will do better with a number of set meals, i.e. 4 or 5 a day to start with. (I feed my adult cats 4 meals a day)

13. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I have one who.is addicted to dry, not sure why, she came like that, and so they get a small handful of high quality (grain free) as a treat once or twice a week. Maybe 15 grams.

#13 Calvine, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Seb_the_Siamese and chillminx like this.
  14. Seb_the_Siamese

Semi - related but what about dental care? Should we brush a cat's teeth daily?

15. lymorelynn

Staff Member

yes, get him used to it while he's still young. . Chewing chunks of raw meat and bones, like chicken wings can help - but these must be raw. And don't believe the hype that dry food helps keep their teeth clean

16. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Sorry to be blunt, but doing it right would be not taking a kitten before 13 weeks.

spotty cats likes this.
  17. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I breed Orientals - very similar, indeed some Siamese have come along - and my kittens do not leave until they are 14 weeks, registered, vaccinated, neutered & chipped. Most people selling at 9 weeks are not charging much less, plus from 8-9 weeks is the really expensive bit of raising a kitten as at that age they usually eat at least as much as an adult, plus there is all that vet stuff to be done & paid for. Over the years I have just about broken even, but had I sold all my kittens earlier for a not much less I'd have made money.

Depending where you live, £550 onwards is a reasonable price for a registered pedigree Siamese, though some breeders seem to managed to charge extortionate amounts.

Seb_the_Siamese and lymorelynn like this.
  18. Seb_the_Siamese

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say thank you all for the advice! (Especially @chillminx and @lymorelynn !) I have just placed an order for some Animonda carny (have ordered a variety pack so we can see what he likes) We already have his currently fed RC dry kibble at home as well (its he mother and babycat so will only last him up till he's 4 months) and the Felix AGAIL pouches - so I'm thinking we'll keep him on the same feeding regime he's on (all dry and one pouch a day) until he's settled and slowly swap out his kibble for increasing pouches, at which point ill start to introduce the Animonda and see how it goes!

chillminx likes this.
  19. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Please take note of Rufus & OrientalSlaves advice, it's the most important for the kitten.

Put their critical needs above your own wants and find a breeder who also puts their kittens needs first.
    Don't support a byb

OrientalSlave and Rufus15 like this.
  20. Garni

Garni PetForums Newbie

Anyone have any views on Bozita wet cat food?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice