Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding tube pulled out by cat?! Advice please!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by 1010, Sep 29, 2019.

1. 1010

1010 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!
    My cat’s recently had surgery to have most of his teeth pulled out, and was sent home with a feeding tube that runs from his esophagus to his stomach. It’s been no hassle feeding him so far but today I noticed his tube is much longer than usual and is dangling off him - he’s somehow pulled a portion of it out :( He seems fine though, currently snoring away under the bed. Does anyone know if it’s still safe to feed him through it? I won’t be able to take him to his vet until tomorrow. I can’t see what goes in there and I don’t know how long the whole tube is... I don’t want food to be going where it shouldn’t be. Any advice would be appreciated!!
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would ring the emergency vet tbh

The last thing you want is food going into the lungs (if that’s possible?) if the tube has shifted.

1010, chillminx and buffie like this.
  3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I agree with @Lurcherlad - ring the emergency out of hours vet as soon as possible.

1010 and buffie like this.
  4. 1010

1010 PetForums Newbie

Thank you both! You’re right, better safe than sorry...

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Not sure why you say you cant take him back to the vet until tomorrow ? If you are in the UK all vets by law must provide out of hours cover .

6. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

No do not feed him through the tube and do not try inserting it in again this has to be done by a vet and may require an X-ray after to check it’s in the right place. Ring OOH vet as soon as possible. Hope all ok. Let us know. Good luck.

1010 and chillminx like this.
  7. 1010

1010 PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your reply. I took him to the emergency vet and they had the tube removed, definitely was the right decision to not use the tube anymore because it was pretty much 99% out... now we just have to take care of his wound until it heals. He’s been on the tube for 2 weeks now so he should technically be able to eat on his own.

Also sorry @buffie I didn’t realize this was a UK forum until I posted.. I was in a panic and this forum came up on the search. I live in HK and things are a bit volatile at the moment. My regular clinic had to close I think and I couldn’t reach them because their voicemail was already full. If this is for UK pet owners only I’m terribly sorry! I won’t post anymore if so but still grateful for all your help, you guys responded so quickly. Thank you so much.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@1010 I'm so pleased to read that you took your boy to the vet and that he is now well on his way to recovery.
    Please don't think you cant post on the forum,it is UK based but we have members from all over the world .
    We just assume (wrongly) that posters live in the UK so tend to give advice that applies here but everyone is welcome :)

Soozi, Lurcherlad and 1010 like this.
  9. 1010

1010 PetForums Newbie

No your assumption makes complete sense! Just wanted to make sure since I just signed up. So good to know it’s alright. Thanks :)

Lurcherlad and buffie like this.
  10. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

So pleased to hear your kitty is ok! Please stick around there’s always help, advice or just to chat! You’re always welcome!

1010 and buffie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice