Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding times for dogs!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by goodvic2, Aug 4, 2009.

1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I have 3 adult dogs and I have always fed them once a day.

Are their any benefits to feeding them twice a day?

Thanks x

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

For some breeds it reduces the risk of a GDV.

I think it just gives them something to look forward to. Breaks up the day and provides a bit of stimulation.

I think many dogs will be quite hungry after having to wait 24 for a meal, and an empty stomach can result in them vomiting up bile.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

If I feed mine once a day they gobble their food down and make themselves sick so I feed them in the morning and in the evening :)

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I think I am going to change it then. I have been thinking about it for a while and it does seem a bit unfair to only feed once a day.

Thanks for your comments x

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We have a Braird, which is a deep chested breed and can get bloat very easy.

We feed her 3 small meals a day, with the no play 1 hour before feeding and 1 hour after feeding rule.

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

We've always fed our dogs twice a day but that's because breakfast isnt really much We give our dogs bonio's (puppy for mika) for breakfast and meat and mix for dinner

7. bmxwidow

bmxwidow PetForums Junior

Someone told me it was bad to feed them only once a day as they will gobble their food - which Megan used to do.

We now feed her a handful of biscuits in the morning after her walk then her normal main food at tea time. I think it has stopped her eating as quickly as she used to.

8. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I think of it from a humans point of view. How would YOU like to be fed only once a day? (The general you, that is :D)

I don't know if there any benefits to feeding twice a day though

You could always free feed

9. gazt

gazt Banned

i feed raw minced chicken or beef in morning after walk and dry skinners duck and rice in the evening are lab bitch looks very well on it i have always fed my dogs twice a day

10. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Im the same

I would hate having one meal and then being taken for a few long walks and then not eating again for the next day

mine get brekkie, treats and dinner

11. ruth9

ruth9 PetForums Member

I feed my two twice a day. They get their breakfast after their morning walk and then their tea after their afternoon walk about half five. I also give them a treat like a bit of dried lung or a dried pig snout around lunchtime.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice