Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding senior cats - where are the tins?!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by blackcatgirl, Oct 10, 2013.

1. blackcatgirl

blackcatgirl PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am new to the forums.
    I have two over 11-yr old cats - both rescue ones from over the years. I have been recommended to continue to feed them both "senior" pet food (and wet food as one hasnt that many teeth left!).
    However, I am struggling to find any tins, only pouches. Are other forum users finding the same thing? Are there any 400g 'normal' sized tins of senior cat food anymore? I have found smaller 200g ones, but they are a mare to stack in the cupboard!

Another query - I have recently given a 1-yr old cat a forever home. When they mix together, should I attempt to feed them separately due to requiring different cat food? Would it do the young cat harm to be eating senior food if I cannot stop them mixing together at food times?

Thanks for any help!

2. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Who has recommended senior food? As I recall, when Hobbs and others researched this there was very little difference between normal adult food and the senior versions.

3. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

Senior food isn't really a necessity, a good quality food is just as good. Then they can all eat it. A lot of people on here recommend Butchers Classic as it has a high meat content and no cereals - it's also one of the cheaper brands which is handy :D. Also, cats without teeth can still manage biscuits, you can let it soak in warm water if you prefer ;)

4. blackcatgirl

My vet did as one of the older cats has a minor kidney issue (nothing to worry about for now she said).

I used to feed them on Bozita but was advised to move them both onto 'senior' food.

Thanks for the comment regarding warm water and biscuits. Will give that one a try!

5. blackcatgirl

Wow really? Makes me wonder why the vet said that then :(

6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Could be worth asking her for some specific information ie what does she believe is different in the senior version of cat food which is beneficial for your cat's condition.

7. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

It's actually not a good idea to soak biscuits in water as it leads to bacteria multiplying.

Better to ditch it altogether and feed a good quality wet. Less dehydrating as well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice