Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

feeding raw chicken

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by healpro, May 15, 2010.

1. healpro

healpro PetForums Junior

Hi, have just read on a raw food website (as in they sell it) that you should not feed drumsticks (chicken not specified), is this right??

2. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

I'm a raw feeder and the only thing i have heard is that drumsticks are classified as a weight bearing bones so can splinter easier than the wings.

That might be what they are on about.:)

3. healpro

healpro PetForums Junior

4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I feed whole chickens, drumsticks, whatever. Some people will always try to scare you. They're FINE. (so long as raw)

5. healpro

healpro PetForums Junior

brill, thanks.

Luvmydogs - Finn did not get on with nature diet puppy which we put down to the lamb content - do you happen to know if that automatically means he will have the same reaction to raw lamb bones/meat?

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Maybe, maybe not. It depends what else was in the food. All you can do is introduce lamb in a very small quantity at first and see if it affects him. :)

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I read the OP out loud and my 12 year old daughter said "it's because drumsticks are normally cooked!" D'oh. She is now blushing at her mistake.

We feed whole carcasses so I would guess drumsticks are ok - I've never heard to the contrary.

8. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

Mine get drumsticks also and haven't had a problem.
    Be careful with the lamb one of mine loves it with no affects and the other gets a runny bum as soon as he looks at it :rolleyes:

9. healpro

healpro PetForums Junior

thanks guys.
    Will try him with lamb at some point, haven't decided to raw feed totally yet but am keen to give some raw meaty bones for his teeth.
    I do hate how visceral his breath smells when he has had raw drumsticks tho!!

10. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I think possibly turkey drumsticks are a bit worse as they can splinter and i have stopped feeding maggie these.

I do however feed chicken drumsticks, but not on their own, as part of a larger chicken quarter or half chicken etc.

I wouldn't feed just a chicken drumstick as this would be too small for maggie...make sure you feed decent-sized pieces appropriate to the size of your dog.

edit: just to add, lamb can be quite a fatty meat, so could be why it affects some tums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice