Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding pups

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by amy_lou_79, Jan 9, 2008.

1. amy_lou_79

amy_lou_79 PetForums Junior

My puppies are 5 weeks old. They aren't showing a massive interest in there food and will have a lick and thats it.
    I am giving them dog biscuits that I soak in hot water so it goes to mash and weetabix. They don't seem bothered with it. Tried porriadge this morning and no joy.
    Any ideas?

2. amy_lou_79

I have tried it with hot and cold water. I am wondering if its the food?

3. bullyb

bullyb PetForums VIP

i always start with ready brek or rice pudding... i mix it with warm welpi. at first you may find yo have to physically hold them and put it in their mouths, i thought mine were never gonna take it. it might just be a teaspoon or two at first. persivere, they will take it...:)

4. amy_lou_79

Well they seem to like the ready brek more at the minute. They have all had a couple of licks so at least its something.
    Maybe I shall take a backwards step and give them ready brek with lactol for a few days then try again.

5. bullyb

bullyb PetForums VIP

i think thats a good idea, i hand feed for maybe 3 or 4 days, then just put it in a bowl (and expect lots of mess!) :D

6. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

one of the best times to feed them is first thing in the morning ,when they havnt seen mummy all night ,and there hungry lol ,i keep the bitch away untill theve had some solids ,then allow mum back in this also decreases the amount of milk they want off mum

7. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Thats what i did also.
    Ild give them their breakfast and they would gobble it down bless them all, after that i let them have some water, and then i let mum in and they would have their milk and go loo and go back to sleep :D

8. amy_lou_79

Well if they were that hungry then I am sure they would eat it wouldn't they?

9. carol

carol PetForums VIP

as you said they might not be hungry
    is mum still feeding them alot?
    then they wouldnt eat much
    can take her out for a while then when they are hungry give them mashed food then after put mum in to give them some milk.

10. amy_lou_79

True. She is feeding them still. I try and keep her away now but she pines to go to them sometimes.

11. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

agree, as long as mum is feeding them and you offer food. is there a rush?

12. growler1961

growler1961 PetForums Junior

one of my first litters was very hard to wean , showing little interest , holding out for mums milk!
    i took advise from a little old lady who had bred pups for many years
    she said go to the butchers get a good steak , chop it up as small as possible
    feed raw ,just for 1 or two meals then mix a tiny amount of steak into a complete puppy food just for a day or two, i have followed this advise on all litters from then on
    the pups rush to the plate every mealtime just in case the steak was on offer
    again !! the plate is empty every time ! mums milk dries up much quicker as the pups are full of solids
    its makes sence to me as in the wild a bitch would offer a simular food
    give it a try

13. amy_lou_79

Been mixing puppy meat with there biscuits and its made a big difference.
    Thanks. Was thinking of doing something like that but would they be ok with raw meat?

14. growler1961

growler1961 PetForums Junior

raw meat would be what a bitch would naturally feed in the wild
    i use a dry complete feed as then im sure they get every thing they need from it ! nice firm poos too
    but raw meat gets them very interested even at three weeks old it soon gets eaten

Attached Files:

15. jan-c

jan-c Guest

We always used to wean pups with scraped beef (ie scraping along a piece of steak with a teaspoon which will give very fine slithers of meat) making it easier for the pups to eat. These days pedigree chum puppy food (tinned) mashed with a little water added is a great way to wean (never had a pup refused it) with nice solid poos, then gradually add complete if that is what you intend feeding.

16. amy_lou_79

Heard Chum is the best thing.
    Thanks guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice