Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

feeding problems

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by brackenhwv, May 14, 2010.

1. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

hope some one here can give ma a few pointers on the problems I'm having with Bracken. She is a 9yo wirehaired vizsla, have had her since Dec last year. she has had a bad time being bred out and abused and starved. was told she ate working dog mix, she will not touch any dog kibble but will accept biscuit treats from my hand,she will eat some tinned dog food then refuse to eat it, what she eats one day does not mean she'll eat it the next, she will eat raw meat and leftovers quite happily so that what she mainly gets but she can have the same issues with these, she is fed from a flat dinner plate as she is very unwilling to eat from a normal dog bowl. When she goes to get her food, she is fed twice a day morning and evening, but she often won'r touch the am feed, she has issues she walks forward and backwards sniffing at the food suspiously before she decides wether she'll eat it or not, i leave her to it, when she does eat she'll leave the plate to see where i am, if i stay with her it makes no difference to wether she'll eat it or not. I have done the leaving the food for 10mins and then removing it and giving it back to her later repeating the process for a few days but if she doesn't want to eat it she won't, I would love to get this sorted, she was a skeleton when i got her , and getting weight on her was hard as even though she was hungry she still had these issues. she is a lot lot better now but she can't afford to lose any more. So am hoping that you guys can help Thanks

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you tried foods like tinned fish or tripe? Sometimes the really smelly stuff helps.

Personally id try leaving dry food down at all times and just let her eat as and when she wants, and offer her tinned/fresh/leftovers twice a day as "proper" meals.

3. rona

rona Guest

Fresh tripe nearly always works, but it will stink your house out.
    It's obviously not a balanced meal but alongside other foods could help to increase her weight.
    Well done for taking her on :thumbup:

4. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

have tried that and have the same issues I can leave food down all day she won't touch it she refuses 99 0/0 of the time any food with kibble in it, sometimes I have to hand feed her to get her started eating from her dish, god knows what she went thru to cause these problems

5. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Hi you could be describing my rescue Moppet she is exactly the same I posted on here awhile ago as she would"nt eat from a dog bowl still wont she will eat a certain food one day then not the next.I now feed her Wafcol Salmon and Potatoe with tuna on or raw meat or tinned food I also stopped feeding her 2 meals and changed it to 1 meal a day in the evening when she"s been for a nice long run most times she is ready and woofs it down also she was at the vets last week and has put on 3kgs.Its hard is"nt it when you dont know how they"ve been treated (think I"ve got a good idea)Hope you manage to sort things out:)

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

My chihuahua Crystal wont eat out of a dogs bowl, and she does the exact same as your dog, she will walk up timidly to the plate and stops just before she gets to it...leaving enough space between her and the plate to bolt if she gets frightened. It is really wierd how she does this. She was like this from the time we got her, she was one of 8 puppies and I think it may come from free for all feeding as you do when they are little and her other siblings go there before her and pushed her out if she did get to be the first to the bowl????. She eats her food separately from my other dogs. Perhaps your dog dont want a morning feed, so I would miss that one out, and give her a bowl of food around the 5.30 mark. Have you tried to put some gravy in with the food, it may entice her to eat and also soften her food for her. If she was in such a bad state when you had her, have you had her teeth checked over too, maybe she have bad gums and it hurts to chew or eat???? Tripe or fish is a good one to give her, the smellier the better for them is what coaxes them. Have you tried to liquidise her food for a bit and then making it firmers each time so she eventually gets to eat solid food again.? I have bought mince meat for our older dog Benji he is 12yr old Collie cross and had gone off his food for a while a couple of years ago, I put some mince in a bowl with softened bic's and some gravy and he did eat this, after a while I reduced the amount and added some complete for in with it to start him off eating it again. It may work or it may not but it is only a suggestion for you.; I hope she gets better soon so you can enjoy her.......xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Have you tried scrambled egg in with the food too. also some plain yogurt too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice