Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding problems with 2 cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by RachelMc, Aug 2, 2018.

1. RachelMc

RachelMc PetForums Newbie

I have 2 cats, Bonnie and Izzy, who I adopted together 11 months ago. They were both very slim when I got them. Izzy has never been that bothered about eating and will just pick a bit as and when she feels like it. Unfortunately Bonnie is the opposite and I accidentally overfed her, leading to her now being overweight which my vet has told me I need to address. I have got her some Hill's prescription diet food and I am trying to weigh it out and give her the correct amount, and the idea was to feed Izzy separately with "normal" food (Purina One). However, Izzy has now started running away and hiding when she hears me pouring food into the bowl and she hisses at me if I go near her with a food bowl! When Bonnie has eaten some of her food Izzy will sneak into the kitchen and eat what is left, but this means she's only getting a small amount of prescription food. I don't want her to lose any more weight but if I leave food down for her Bonnie will eat it! Can anyone come up with a suggestion? I tried a microchip feeder for Izzy but she is very nervous and hates the lid moving. Thanks.

2. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Could you try feeding Izzy somewhere else, separately to Bonnie?

3. RachelMc

Hi. I do this but I don't always know which room Izzy has hidden herself away in, and if I just leave food down for her she won't eat it straight away. I usually just end up taking it away again.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Did you get Izzy used to eating from the microchip feeder for a couple of weeks with the lid completely open, then partly open for another few weeks? (Sure Pet Care call it the training mode) I am sure she would get the hang of it in time.

Feeding dry food is not a great way to get a cat to lose weight. All dry food contains too many carbs and it is the carbs which are fattening. It is so much easier to get the weight off with wet food and wet is also much better for them, as the fluids they need are included in the food, as nature intends for cats.

I would also not expect Izzy to eat a food she dislikes, because ultimately the diet will fail as you won't like her being unhappy or refusing to eat.

Have you read veterinarian Lisa Pierson's articles on safe weight loss? And veterinarian Jean Hofve's advice on feeding wet food, not dry?

https://catinfo.org/feline-obesity-an-epidemic-of-fat-cats/

http://www.catnutrition.org/obesity.html

5. RachelMc

I followed the instructions &let her use it with the lid open etc but every time it got to the stage where it moved she would run off. Plus it would be driving Bonnie mad because she knew there was food there but she couldn't get to it! I've now sold the feeder and can't afford to buy another one at the moment .
    I'll read those articles, thanks. I'm using the food the vet recommended as he gives it to his cat who was overweight but I'd be interested in different opinions

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Vets are not necessarily experts in feline nutrition. Pet nutrition forms a very small part of a vet's undergraduate training course.

Some vets take post-grad courses in pet nutrition, some do lots of their own research. Other vets take advice from the pet food company reps whom they deal with, who recommend dry food for cats because there is more profit in dry food for the pet food manufacturers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice