Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding Problem

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by gemma1234, Feb 8, 2012.

1. gemma1234

gemma1234 PetForums Member

Both my cats have stomach problems at the moment so are on a plain fish/chicken diet. The thing I don't get is how they get enough food if I'm not leaving dry food out all day. Today for example I left the house at 7.45am and got home at 4.30pm (normally it would be later but I left work early to get home to feed them) so they didn't eat in all that time.

What do I do because I can't leave fish out because they just eat it all in one go and I think part of the reason they are throwing up so much is because they scoff their food so I'm trying not to give them large amounts at a time.

So for people who work full time & whos cats are on an all wet diet- how do you feed them?

2. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

I used to work full time and used an automatic cat feeder, so my cat got fed at 10am and 2pm as well as morning and evening feeds (vet advised little amounts throughout the day). It worked a treat and I still use it now I am not working when I go out for the day. I highly recommend them (there are different versions on the market but they all do a similar job). x

3. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Personally what I would do is feed half the amount when I first get up and the other half before I go to work based on the normal amount you would feed them in the morning. The same would be in the afternoon/evening after you get home by spreading it out into smaller meals. This is a good idea as it dont load their tummies so much. You could alternate their food using Royal Canin sensitive control in pouches and giving each 2 pouches a day spread over 4-5 meals.
    BTW how long have they had upset stomachs?
    How are they going to the toilet?

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Mice don't come along at regular intervals in the wild; so you don't need to be regular in your feeding in that way. I work from 9-3:30 and they survive - I feed them before I go out and as soon as I get back. Alternatively try an automatic feeder.

5. gemma1234

I've never heard of those. Do they work with wet food? Does the food stay fresh all day?

6. gemma1234

Their stomaches have been bad since I got them 1.5 weeks ago but they are seeing a vet & stool samples are going to be sent off on Friday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice