Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

FEEDING NEW KITTENS - HELP!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by abbyjane, Sep 7, 2019.

1. abbyjane

abbyjane PetForums Newbie

OK so I have read lots of advice on here so far which has all been very helpful. However I'm still not sure if I'm doing the right thing with my kittens.

I have 2 male kittens (brothers) who are 17 weeks old.
    I adopted them a week ago. They came to me on Whiskas wet and IAMS dry - I have gradually switched over to Natures Menu wet and am about to start switching to Applaws dry.

Harvey (Kitten 1) loves wet food and dry and will devour pretty much anything I put down. He weighs 2kg.

Milk (Kitten 2) mainly likes dry food. When he came to me, the cattery told me he had never liked wet food, but he does occasionally eat some wet since I swapped over to Nature's Menu. He weighs 2.5kg (and looks visibly bigger round the belly)

I am waiting on an order from Zooplus with some different types of grain free wet food (MACS and Feringa) to see if that goes down better.

I want to feed mainly wet, with a small bowl of dry for the couple of days I am out of the house at work.

My issue is if I put down only enough dry for 1 kitten (60g for the day as per packet instructions), both kittens will tuck into it and finish it. So I worry that the kitten who only likes dry at the moment is not getting enough. But then if I put more down, enough for 2 of them (120g for example), they will eat all of that too.

Harvey (kitten 1) has been eating between 1 and 1.5 pouches Natures Menu per day with a little help from his brother. And then eating approx 1/2 of the dry food I put down.
    Milk (Kitten 2) is eating something between 60g and 125g dry and a little bit of wet here and there.

How do I make sure that they're both getting what they need? SHould I consider feeding them in separate rooms so I know better what each is having?! The easiest thing would be to get them both eating the same obviously.... and I am a little worried about Harvey looking chubby !

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

2. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

You need to invest in a couple of chip-operated feeders! These will open only to the catten with the right chip. They saved me from similar problems. The ones I have (there might be others) are the well known Surefeed variety. There are all sorts of videos on YouTube & many sellers online. It is just about possible for a catlet to insert a paw behind the arch & pull out a bit of catfood but it is difficult & that problem can be minimised by placing the feeders against a wall. Have a look at:

https://www.surepetcare.com/en-gb/support/videos/setting-up-the-surefeed-microchip-pet-feeder

Will we get to see photos of this pair? They sound adorable.

3. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

If you can't afford the chip operated bowls, there are some that work on a timer.

4. abbyjane

abbyjane PetForums Newbie

Ah I hadn’t thought about that! I will have a look into it. How would it work with the timer ones? They could still eat each other’s, no?

I am hoping that when the new wet food arrives I can entice Milk to eat more wet like his brother....

Should I be worried about his weight ? I have checked on a kitten growth chart and it seems ok. Probably wasn’t super accurate as I did it on the kitchen scales.... EEAF074C-E9A6-488B-8DB4-D009B455275C.jpeg EDB10C2D-5620-4A8C-B323-89490C24037B.jpeg CB3E1572-E777-42E2-A969-33A17BFDEE44.jpeg

Joy84, Soozi, Emmasian and 3 others like this.
  5. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

Oh, that brings tears to my eyes! How superb they look in each other's arms.

The timed feeders won't help with the food sharing, unfortunately. It would, though, be worth keeping an eye on eBay for slightly used chip operated ones. They do come up regularly & shopping is safe if you do it through PayPal - anything wrong with a purchase & you get your money back without difficulty. I've bought a number of cat things at greatly reduced prices that way. Or, Amazon Warehouse might have something at a small saving - things like returned items, damaged boxes. Again, money gets refunded if anything is wrong.

Beautiful (& healthy) looking kittens. Thanks for sharing them!

6. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

They are absolutely adorable, and that last pic is just scrummy :)

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @abbyjane - your kittens are gorgeous! :) Great photos.!

If your kittens have been microchipped the best thing would be get them each a microchipped feeder (as others have said) That way their food will only be accessible to the cat whose chip you have scanned in. These feeders are an absolute boon to multi cat households, I promise you.

Whilst it is true that the feeders come up for sale second-hand from time to time on ebay, they often work out not much cheaper than buying the feeders new from a licensed outlet such as Fetch, where the current price is £69.89 per feeder. Plus you get a 15% reduction on your first order with Fetch and free delivery when you spend over £29. Making a total of about £119 for 2 feeders. This is much cheaper than you would pay for the feeders from the makers, Sure Pet Care themselves, and it is the exact same feeder.

If it's too much expense to buy 2 feeders, then for now just buy a feeder for Milk so his dry food is safe from being eaten by Harvey.

https://fetch.co.uk/surefeed-microchip-pet-feeder-296478011

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

With micro chip feeders you can use wet food. I would avoid feeding them any dry kibble at all. They don't need it and it just isn't good for them. You've already seen how easily addictive it is with the one kiten. Get them both off it now, it will save you a lot of trouble going forward..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice