Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding my pregnant queen

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Alexhannah, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Alexhannah

Alexhannah PetForums Member

Looking for recommendations on the best brand of food to be feeding my pregnant queen. She is only 3 weeks in at the moment but I have put her back onto kitten food already as she is fairly light and I want her to gain some weight before the kittens start taking from her. So at the moment she is eating felix as good as it looks kitten & James wellbeloved kitten biscuits. I know that the royal canin mother and babycat biscuits are good for pregnant queens so I had planned on moving her over to these when I am 100% sure that her mating has been successful but I wondered if anyone could recommend another good brand for her? Many thanks :)

leashedForLife likes this.
  2. RottieMummy

RottieMummy Run free at the bridge my darling x

Someone more experienced will come along shortly but Felix is only 4% meat. My adult cat (neutered) has Lily's Kitchen food that is 65% meat and no nasty ingredients and does really well on it. No idea about dry as we don't feed it.

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

As with all cheaper cat food, Felix is only 4% of the named meat - the flavour. It has more than 4% meat products in total in it.

Ingredients:
    Meat Menus in Jelly: Meat and meat by-products (min. 4% of the specified type), vegetable protein extracts, fish and fish by-products, minerals, sugar.

Lily's Kitchen is good but expensive, especially if you are feeding pouches or trays rather than cans.

There are lots of cheaper, good foods on Zooplus which are available in mixed packs of 200g tins. examples are:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/smilla/smilla_trial_packs/208988
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/catz_finefood#Trial_Packs
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/grau/grau_gourmet_grainfree/227514 (the grain-free not the feast)
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/feringa_wet_cat_food#Saver_Packs

There is also the Happy Kitty Company.

https://www.happykittycompany.co.uk/

Tigermoon and Alexhannah like this.
  4. OrientalSlave

Should add you don't want to overfeed her - getting fat won't help her. It might be worth checking her against a condition scoring website.

What breed is she?

5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Your mentor will know what works well for her girls.

We don't change our girls diets, they eat the same raw & wet all the time.

6. Alexhannah

Thank you for all of those links I will have a look and defiantly order some of those. Obviously I don't want her getting too big but I do think she needs to gain a little weight. She is a British shorthair cross.

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Why are you breeding a cross breed? As she's only just mated you can take her in to be spayed asap

8. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I hope you know all about labour with BSH and have enough money for a c-section.

Would be alot safer and cheaper to spay.

SpringDance likes this.
  9. Alexhannah

First of all I am not taking her to be spayed and I find it quite rude that you are even questioning why I am breeding her. I don't mean to be rude to you at all but why does it bother you that I am breeding a cross breed? The way I see it is, yes lots of people prefer to have pedigree kittens but I didn't purchase a pedigree kitten when I bought my queen I wasn't bothered weather she was pedigree or not all I saw was the most perfect beautiful kitten for a reasonable price and I knew I had to have her. Some people or families with multiple children can't necessarily afford to pay £600 for a pedigree breed kitten. One of the other reasons why I choose to purchase my cross breed queen was because I know that pedigree cats are more at risk of having health issues and that their life expectancy is shorter than that of a cross breed. I am well aware that as some people say "there are more cats in the UK than loving homes for them" but I am going to take full responsibility for my queens kittens, I already know of a few people that would like one of them, I will be keeping one and if there is any that I am unable to find a happy home for any of them, then they will have a happy forever home with me also. This will be my queens first and only litter and just to make it clear I will not be having her spayed until she has birthed her kittens.

10. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Not being funny, but if you didn't have £600 to pay for a health tested kitten, how are you going to afford feeding mum and a litter of kittens.
    What happens if she needs a c-section?

Rainfall, AmsMam, moggie14 and 3 others like this.
  11. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Cat rescues are full of cross breeds (moggies).

Pedigree cats are a totally different ball game. While I would never have a pedigree (preferring a rescue), the way they are bred and bought means they are far less likely to end up abandoned or on the streets.

RottieMummy likes this.
  12. Alexhannah

I didn't say that I could not afford to pay £600 for a kitten, I said some people may not be able to afford it which may be a reason why they choose to have a cross bread cat. I have the money to feed both the mother and her kittens and if she requires a c-section I will pay for it. To make it clear I have had breeding experience with another cat so I am aware of the various costs involved.

13. Alexhannah

I can't disagree with that but like I have said, i will be taking full responsibility for my queens kittens and if I can't find happy homes for any of them I will be keeping them.

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Can I ask what she was mated with ?

spotty cats and moggie14 like this.
  15. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Then I'm sure they would find a rescue full of cats/ kittens needing homes (already vaccinated, microchipped and neutered - will you be doing that for all of your kittens) for a small fee.

Part of the pedigree cost is to cover the cost of vaccinating, neutering and micro chipping. Plus the cost towards food vet bills. Proper breeders don't make much money by the time costs have been taken out.

16. Alexhannah

I am not going to keep debating this with you, it is clear you disagree with my decisions so there is no point in me keep responding to you. I opened this thread to find out what other breeders found was the best food for their pregnant queens. You are not going to stop me breeding my queen so neither of us should be wasting our time debating it.

17. RottieMummy

RottieMummy Run free at the bridge my darling x

Anyone who can't afford £600 for a kitten can't afford a cat! My moggie kitten has cost me £400 in vet bills so far in just 2 weeks that's not including her vaccinations, microchipping, spaying, insurance and anything else she may need in her life. In my case a pedigree kitten with all that done would have been cheaper!

18. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

There's so many "moggies" in rescues waiting to be rehomed and by adding more mixed breed kittens to the world you're possibly stopping another cat or kitten that's in a rescue from being homed :(
    I must admit I was ignorant before coming on here & bought jasper from a person on the internet but I have learnt so much that I would never ever do that again.
    I agree with @RottieMummy - our kitten over the last 7 weeks has cost us over £800+ and the insurance has paid another £800+ for tests to be done due to his multiple ilness' There are still major risks with "moggie" kittens but are they are magnified because people who breed them don't have them properly tested for anything!!!!!!!
    Is this her first and only litter?

19. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

inbread.jpg

LJC675, Rainfall, Michebe and 5 others like this.
  20. OrientalSlave

How will someone who can't afford £600 for a cat if they plan it afford £600 if they get an unexpected vet bill? Buying a kitten is just the start of the expenses.

catcoonz and Tigermoon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice