Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

feeding my miniature colt

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by Snails_loved, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Snails_loved

Snails_loved PetForums Junior

i am having trouble with my 14 month old miniature colt
    he is stabled of a night with a wedge of hay then turned out to grass not lush but enough to graze
    every morning he has a scoop of competition mix and hand full of charf and the same of a night
    he has NOO energy what so ever
    he used to have loads of energy and loved to trot and canter everywhere with me

any sugestions?

2. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Blimey he has more to eat than my 17hh showjumper.
    Have you had a vet check him over to rule out any virus causing the lethargy.

3. poshmog

poshmog PetForums Member

Hi ,I have 4 miniatures and the first thing I would suggest is to worm with an all round wormer (equest plus ,equimax ),secondly ,mine have suregrow (D&H) which is brill for the youngsters ,provides everything they need ,without giving too much which can so easily bring on laminitus in the little ones.
    They are in all round good condition ,plenty of energy (too much in a couple ) ,and have qualified for Miniature Horse of the Year show .
    I would'nt discount the suggestion it could be a virus ,but it sounds very much like a little one that was on my yard ,and that became as bright as a button after a good worming-worth a go:)

4. Snails_loved

Snails_loved PetForums Junior

okay i will see what that feed is like as we sell it at the store i work at
    he is regularly wormed and has worm counts also had blood tests done every six months along with all my other horses
    so i will go have a look at that food thanks!

5. tonette

tonette PetForums Member

I have a mini and we have had him since he was 16months old. I agree with the worming as all horses should be on a worming programme. Dimby has at night when he comes in a wedge of hay and a hanful of hi-fi and 1/4 scoop of hifiber cubes, in the morning he has the same hard feed again and then turned out. Come spring and summer he is on restricted grazing as he is prone to lammy :sad:

6. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Is he teething.... Also Im not sure I would be feeding a youngster competition mix... Especially a mini...

7. reddyrufus

reddyrufus PetForums Member

I certainly wouldn't be feeding a mini competition mix. I would look into suregrow or a balancer to make sure that he is getting all the vits and mins he needs. I personally would feed more hay than concentrates, if you are feeding a vit and min supplement this should be sufficient. You could ring some feed companies help lines these would be happy to help and would be able to tell you which of thier products would be best.

On the other hand my mare always goes a bit 'dull' at this time of year, I give her a course of global herbs 'restore' which really gives her a boost. If he is having a growth spurt ths could take it out of him a bit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice