Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding Mummy cat (and oter problems)!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Anwen, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

Hi, I have a few things I'm wondering about! My cat Pixie had her second litter 3 weeks ago and seemed relatively uninterested in her food for a little while, she then started eating more again, but now she's eating vast amounts (40 pouches in 2 + 1/2 days) and she's passing motions (which really stink!) so often I'm having to completely clean out the litter tray around 4 times a day! Do I keep giving her as much as she wants or do I give her less? (She is regularly wormed, so I don't think that's the problem).

Another thing is that there is still a lump in her belly, a couple of inches down from her ribs which at first felt a bit kitten-like but doesn't move. But she seems absolutely fine (she's bright, eating and seems chilled out!) Am wary about taking her to vet and leaving kittens behind- shall I leave it until they're weaned?

The last thing (Phew!) is that one of the kittens (Spock) is a lot smaller than the others (which I know is normal) but he is also very shaky and screams incessantly whenever mum leaves or he is picked up (the others are all very sociable). He was the first born and was breach, took around half an hour from when his feet appeared for the rest of him to appear (with some help). Could he have been oxygen starved or something else because he's concerning me slightly!

Haha, sorry it was such a long post (or essay!). I would appreciate any help! :)

Attached Files:

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

She is feeding those little ones so her food in take can go up to 4 times what she would normally eat - pouches are normally 3-4 a day so up to 12 a day wouldn't be unheard of. I'd give her what she wants or her milk may dry up and then you will be jiggered and have to hand feed. In another week or so the kittens will be ready for weaning and once they are eating solids mum will begin to require less food. What food are you giving her?

Are you sure the lump isn't her stomach? If she needs a vets visit the kits will be fine left at home for the time it takes.

Spock may not be getting enough to eat, if he is a lot smaller than the others they may be pushing him off the best teats. Try topping him up yourself and see whether he gains weight quickly.

3. gerisdolly

gerisdolly PetForums Newbie

check what pouches you are given her as most of them are water base and not a lot of protein..royal canin ..and hills have pouches with more protein so the cats dont need so much as they feel fuller or mix with dried food .. the more you eat the more you do the toilet..check your lumps are not part of the nipple area if worried see your vet...I always weigh my kittens same time every day till they start weaning...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice