Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding mother just after a litter

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by New pup, Oct 26, 2012.

1. New pup

New pup PetForums Newbie

Hi all

our female husky has given birth to a litter of 5, 3 days ago, all feeding well and coming along.

Our bitch however has somewhat turned off her food, puppy food (she liked it before she had the pups)

we have being told to add some raw mince as its good for her whilst feeding the pups, is this ok ? and ive read that you need to freeze it first and then defrost before giving it

also, is it normal for the mother to somewhat go off her food only 3 days after, she will eat it but now only if we add the mince

Any advise on this please

Mark

2. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

My dogs are all raw fed and my female Mal continued on raw throughout pregnancy and during nursing, obviously as she has never had any other food. My Mal pups were weaned onto raw at three weeks too.

You don't need to freeze any minced meat unless it's human grade minced beef. The reason for this is it has the very rare chance of the cattle having had Neospora Canium.
    An Overview of Neospora Canium and Raw Food Diets

Other than that raw minces are fine. Don't add kibble to any raw though as your girl is new to it and it could cause digestive problems due to both being digested at different rates. You can add raw veg if she likes it and a tin of sardines in tomato sauce is always a favourite with my dogs.

Your butcher may make his own pet mince (mine does) and also tripe mince. I have never found that starting any of my pups onto raw after I bought them had any effect on them whatever. Although some say to start gradually with chicken and chicken mince I found mine were fine with various minces from the off. A nice chicken leg would go down a treat I would imagine too and your butcher may be able to sell you some chicken carcasses - feed in the raw form of course, I don't mean cooked!
    The main meat to be careful with at first is liver as it can make them very loose.
    Good luck, bet she'll love it and you'll be hard pressed to get her to eat anything else once she's had raw!

ETA - You can also feed raw frozen, it gives them something to gnaw on and is better for her teeth too.

#2 Malmum, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  3. New pup

New pup PetForums Newbie

Hi Malmum, thank you for the reply, really i dont feed my dog anything raw, but our vet told us to put our female on the Multifit puppy food, this was before she had puppies, we did and she loved it

then she gave birth and we were told to add a small hand full of mince to her meals, we got this info from a lady in england that had breed her own dogs and found it to be good whilst the mother is feeding the pups.

Maybe i shall go and have a chat to my local butcher about this as as you mentioned we have bought a small amount from our local food store

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

If you are only tempting her to eat then a small raw meal in the morning could well do the trick, especially if you add a sardine or two. Of course you can mix cooked mince with her usual food and even adding raw to it may not harm her but on the whole the reason dogs don't get salmonella etc. is because raw food is digested faster than kibble etc. so has less time in the gut for baceria to take a hold. Feeding two together is said to slow down that process and the dog may pick up salmonella or such. I know many who feed the two together I just never have, rather one meal of raw then one of commercial if the two are being fed.

I found with Kali that she ate so many placenta's she didn't want food for a couple of days post birth. I suppose in the wild it's natures way of ensuring mum gets nutrition and a break to rest after a strenuous whelp. She also had terrible diarrhoea, again placenta related but that passed once the system cleared out after two days.
    She liked goats milk with a spoon of active manuka honey added though and probiotic yogurt was another fave.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice