Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding more to pregnant springer

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Spaniel mad, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Storm is 5 weeks pregnant. She is scrounging all the time.

I have several breeding books that say not to feed more until Storm is 6 weeks pregnant.

Do you all start more at this time or earlier.

i just feel soo sorry for her as she seems hungry all the time

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

If she is seeming more hungry now then i would up it..I dont listen to the books when it comes to up-ing feeding as all dogs are different...if you feel she is ready to have her meals up-ed then i would start

3. Spaniel mad

She went off her food a while ago and is now only really starting to eat again. I have to put a tiny bit of the puppy food in with her dry food in the morning for her to eat it.

When we are eating she sits there and watches us which i dont allow my dogs to do. She just looks at me as if to say 'please im soo hungry' and i feel really guilty

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

What about adding more to the meals for now then you could add sardines, chicken ect..
    Or spread what she is already having over a few more meals..If she is still acting the same then add another meal in some where..ours dont normally what extra food until 6weeks!
    some one may be able to tell you abit more

5. Spaniel mad

Thank you

I will cook her some chicken and add that to her brekkie

6. Liteskye

Liteskye PetForums Member

I had to up my Tia's food, but didn't go by the books yelling me when to do it. But I still had to be carefull as didn't want her to gain too much weight, as it can make it harder for birthing. But I would be talking about a very fat dog though.

7. Spaniel mad

Storm is huge already so i think she might have a few pups in there. I feel she is ready to have more food now

8. Liteskye

Aww bless her heart. I'd up it, as imo there is no hard and fast rule about this.

9. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Our fluffles (Coco) has been eating quite a bit lately, she's pinching out of all the other bowls too. She's started being a bit sick too though, so for all the extra food she's eating, not all of it stays down :confused:

I've got a sack of reproduction starter at the ready and will be introducing that at 6 weeks and will also be starting her worming treatment... prevention is better than cure hey ;)

10. cav

cav PetForums VIP

eeerm feed this poor girl;)

my girl was like this i gave her 3 small meals a day:)

11. Spaniel mad

Thats another thing. Some people told me to feed her puppy food but i was always told not to feed puppy food until after shes had the pups.

Storm will also be starting her worming next week. i use panacur granuals

12. Liteskye

I do believe Royal Canin do a food especially for the bitch, as I'm thinking of putting my Tia on it next year. But don't hold me on that as I'm not quiet sure.

13. Spaniel mad

Arden Grange said to use their prestige range as mine are on Arden Grange already.

14. Liteskye

That's interesting to know, thanks. What is Arden Grange like for dogs? I was thinking I may take my pup off the Canin and trying her with something else. Bordeaux pups need a lot of protein, so would have to take that into account too.

15. Spaniel mad

Mine have been on arden Grange for a couple of weeks now and they love it. They all seem calmer and their coats seem alot better and softer aswell

16. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Yeah, the stuff I've got is from Royal Canin, thats the kibble I give anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a shock to her system.

17. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

Our vet told me to introduce the puppy food 10 days or so before whelp so Lucy was use to it as a big litter was expected. She did add that as long as whelping bitch's were on a good puppy food during Lactation then it would be ok.

We had Lucy on scrambled egg and chicken mixed with puppy kibble during the last days , she was being fed every few hours as she couldnt hold a big meal. She didnt want lactol at all but now pups are here she is enjoying her pint a day!!!! (and being fed every hour or so)

18. Spaniel mad

Well Storm is huge so i think she will have a few. We have just been to our local pet shop and they have ordered some Arden Grange prestige which we will collect Thursday so i will start giving her that then. I also got her some adult Naturediet which i will give her a little extra in with her brekkie.

Im going to be feeding her Nature diet puppy and burns puppy food when she has had the pups. Our vet said bot to feed her too much and not puppy food until shes had pups as the pups could be too big for her to pass.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice