Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Alexhannah, May 26, 2017.

1. Alexhannah

Alexhannah PetForums Member

My queen is due to have her kittens soon. I have already bought the royal canin babycat mouse and natural instinct raw weaning paste for weaning them onto food. Once I have got them to start eating wet food I want to put them on feringa kitten tins but I know that it is likely that when they go to their new homes they are likely to be fed supermarket brands like whiskas and felix. So what I was wondering is do you think that i should feed them a mix of feringa and felix ? Or should I just send them off to their new homes with a couple of tins or feringa so that their new owners can gradually introduce them to whatever food they plan on feeding them? Thank you for any advice given :)

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Our kittens get mostly raw but we also feed a wide range of tinned foods so they are used to it all, they leave us with a few packs of higher quality wet and a diet sheet which most owners follow.

3. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

I am not a breeder but a rehomer/buyer....

I would like to receive a small pack of whatever my kitten was being fed.... would usually expect it to be readily available from supermarkets or pet shops...

I would also expect them to have been fed a mixture of readily available dry as well as wet food.

I realise from being on here that wet, any wet is better than dry. But I am trying to give you my prospective from the average buyer your kittens will be rehomed to....

I wouldn't expect the new owners to gradually introduce them to anything... I think the average cat owner wouldn't even think about changing brands before doing so. Maybe pedigree purchasers are different? Some may be but I suspect many are not, otherwise they weren't be a market for byb of pedigree cats....

4. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I think feeding them as wide a range of food types as possible would be sensible to hopefully avoid fussiness later, including types which are readily available from the supermarket & maybe even a bit of raw. Perhaps use a few bits of dry as treats rather than as a meal. Ideally try for the better quality supermarket brands, as I don't think it will be difficult to transition to Felix / sheba / whiskas etc later on if the new owners decide to do so.

A food guide, along with a couple of days of their usual food also seems like a good idea.

moggie14 likes this.
  5. Alexhannah

Alexhannah PetForums Member

Thank you all for you advice it is much appreciated

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice