Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Feeding in the heat..

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by AshJack, Apr 20, 2019.

1. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

Back again ..

So.. I’ve noticed that Dolly and Molly aren’t eating as much since it’s been so hot outside .. they definitely drink enough water.. and like the lick webbox yoghurt things.. but wondering what else I could tempt them with.. they turn 1 in May so are still babies (to me at least!). I’m not overly concerned because they still eat a bit, but wondering what others do during summer/ hot weather.

Ps. I’ve started letting them out now and they are quite happily traipsing about. Molly rarely ventures out (she’s def a homebody) the garden but Dolly has taken to visiting one of my neighbours they still stick close to home and run home if I go into the garden

Attached Files:

sandy-cat likes this.
  2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

They are beautiful. Be very careful in the hot weather as white cats can be prone to their ears and noses getting too much sun. Probably best to let them out only for short periods during the summer and put sun cream on them for protection.

Most cats are inclined to eat less during the summer months so I wouldn't worry too much.

sandy-cat and buffie like this.
  3. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

Yep, I use sunscreen on them

They’ve got the routine down pat, on how often they are willing to be in/out. They are definitely creature of habit, so aren’t out all hours, they’ll be in every hour, checking if I’m still here or coming in for a nap, or miaowing at me to come play because they are bored

Charity and buffie like this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@Charity you beat me to it , I was just going to say the same thing about white cats and the sun.
    Sadly I speak from experience as the semi feral lad that moved in with me after years of living rough lost an ear to squamous cell carcinoma and he wasn't even a white cat but a tabby and white who just happened to have white ear tips.

ETA cross posted with you @AshJack

Charity likes this.
  5. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

@buffie Nps. Yeah I’ve always used sunscreen on nose/ears/paws of cats, luckily not through experience of my own pets. My parents drilled the importance of sunscreen into me from a very young age, so I’ve always used it on pets

buffie and Charity like this.
  6. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Sandy hasn't eaten much during the heat of the day - normally he's begging for food every 4-5 hours! He has been drinking fresh water though and I gave him a cat soup earlier - I find cat soups are brilliant for keeping cats hydrated in hot weather (Cosma have just started a new range on Zooplus which are much better ingredients-wise than the ones you can get in the supermarkets etc). He's just popped upstairs to beg for food for the first time now it's starting to cool down :)

So I'd suggest feeding them during the dawn and dusk times if you can, when it's cooler. Make sure there is fresh water available at all times (you could pop an ice cube in to keep it cooler).

I also use the Surefeed sealed pet bowl (with thanks to someone on this forum who recommended it!) as it has a lid which closes over fresh food (opens automatically when any pet approaches) and therefore keeps wet food fresher for longer and protects it from flies!

AshJack likes this.
  7. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

@sandy-cat oh.. thanks didn’t think of the ice-cube trick or the cat soups! Yeah - I have the surepet feeder as well - def love it (esp as otherwise they steal each other’s food)

8. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I also add warm water to wet food.
    My two are off food at the moment but the heat increases the aroma . They both tucked in this morning.

sandy-cat and AshJack like this.
  9. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

bluecordelia likes this.
  10. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

Well this thread beat me to it, I was going to ask if it would be the heat that affected Lola eating, she has hardly eaten anything yesterday & so far today. She was much younger last summer & didn't stop eating in the heat of last summer. I will get some of those soups tomorrow, see if she likes them.

AshJack likes this.
  11. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

@Marg. try adding warm water to wet. It’s pretty much the same thing. Be prepared to Chuck a fair bit away in warm weather or feed smaller meals to reduce waste

sandy-cat and AshJack like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice