Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding established dogs before puppies/new dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmastace, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Do you continue to feed an established dog before a newcomer for ever or can you eventually feed at the same time. If you had several dogs it would take ages to feed them one at a time. Would it be ok if you put the established dogs food down seconds before the next in line and so on. I let Mia completely finish her food before Mylo gets his and will continue that for a long time yet but just wondered if eventually it would be a case of just feeding them together.

2. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

My two both get fed at the same time and always will unless a good reason crops up to change this. In fact when Sam was younger he often used to eat first.

3. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Mine came one by one and I feed them in that order,,
    It used to be Oscar in the kitchen Benny in the back hall Remy in the front hall
    Then when we were decorating/building, things had to change and everyone had to be fed in the kitchen..

The get their bowls put down seconds apart but still in the same order and a few feet apart ..I never have any problems with them but I think it depends on the dogs..

4. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

I feed everyone within seconds, Bertie the newest gets his down first as he is fed on the hearth rug, then Stan is fed in his crate, then little Miss Louie on the couch, lucidly I can carry all dishes at the same time so the route flows, it works well and everyone respects everyone else space while munching. :)

ETA.... Louie arrived first, Stan second and Bertie last.

5. sianrees1979

sianrees1979 PetForums VIP

my lot get theirs at the same time :)

i give lex his first then dai and dinky have theirs and daniel gets his, time the small dogs have finished lex is half way through his

#5 sianrees1979, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

[​IMG]

It really doesn't take long to prepare 6 meals. 2 of mine are fed raw, the other 3 (that are mine) are fed kibble and wet and the ShihTzu I board also eats kibble and wet.

I feed them twice a day, all get raw in the morning. And then they get their separate meals at 5/6ish in the evening.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

That is a new idea to me, never heard of it before. My dogs are always fed at the same time except when young puppies as they are obviously getting more meals and different food so I have to supervise so just shut existing dogs out at the puppy's extra meal time.

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I feed mine together but the bowls go down in order of age. It's more that it's easier for me to remember....LOL

9. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Mine get fed together, but I put Clover's down first

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Mine eat at the same time, a few feet apart in the kitchen. Kite's normally goes down first, but neither can start to eat until I say 'OK'.

11. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

When I had 2 they were fed at the same time. Usually Wolfs bowl went down first as he was fed closer to where I dished it up and then Shadows. Both were released to eat at exactly the same time. When Wolf was a pup and needed extra meals Shadow was just shut out of the room.

I've never heard of letting an established dog finish eating before letting a newcomer even start his meal. What's the reasoning behind it if you don't mind me asking?

12. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Mine get fed at same time and they know who's side is who's.
    When iz was a pup she got hers first then Amber got hers as Iz as a pup would have scoffed both meals given half a chance.

13. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

Mine are fed at the same time, Gemmas bowl goes down first, seconds before Simbas, seconds before Flints.
    When Nala comes next month she will be fed last in her crate (I think)

14. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I have two retrievers. They got fed either side of a stairgate, Rupert first to start with. Now with bones I tend to give Milo his first because if I give Rupert his he stands there waiting and will consider pinching Milo's if he's slow on the uptake. But he sits there good as gold knowing the other one is for him if I give Milo his first.

With food out of bowls they both get told to sit and wait back from me (and apart from one another. Bowls get pushed towards them and they get the release command at the same time. Just need to make sure they aren't likely to pinch the others. Milo was quite a lot slower than Rupert with bones but he has gotten better now, hence I don't shut one in one out (they both prefer to be out).

15. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Both the breeder of the pup and the rescue that Mia came from recommended this. I assumed it was normal as this is the first time I have had two dogs together. I can only think it is to make sure that it is clear to both dogs that Mia is to be the boss. Just guessing at that though.

16. stranger23

stranger23 PetForums Senior

Both my puppy and older dog get dinner at the same time, i have a stand so they are side by side (unless for the last week Tails has been crated all week so has had food in there) they both have to sit and wait for me to make dinner, who ever sits nices their bowl goes down first but they are not allowed to touch it until both bowls are down and im out the way, then i give the command and they both eat.

As Tails is on 3 meals a day i break Bruno's food up into 3 meals as well so he gets a tiny bit for breakfast and a tiny bit for lunch then the rest for dinner :D He has been a little jealous though as Tails has had a lot of attention and we have had to separate both dogs so our older dog has been upstairs a lot over the last week so found he is happier if i let him eat with Tails.

17. biggreys

biggreys PetForums Member

my adult girls have 1 meal a day at 3pm, the bowls go down Rosie, Lana, Daisy, Lucy which is the opposite order i got them in, mainly because my 'newer' girls couldnt wait for the food as they wernt fed properly in there previous homes/kennels. Ellie gets 3 meals a day as shes a puppy, the adults dont mind

18. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Our three get fed at the same time. They line up eldest to youngest and their bowls get put down in that order but they don't eat until they're given a release command so they all actually start eating at the same time.

When we get a puppy they're fed on their own after the adults simply because it's a new routine for them and it stops them wandering away from the bowl and getting their food pinched by one of the others :rolleyes: As soon as they're into the routine of eating all their food in one sitting they get fed with the others.

19. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

Mine get fed at the same time, both bowls are put down and they are told to wait and then I say 'take it'.

20. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Mine are all fed together and alwys have been. As a pup Mylo won't really challenge her anyway, so putting her bowl down first and then his will be fine, get them used to eating together while he is still little and teach him manners whilst eating.

Another thing, don't 'force' Mia to be top dog, she might not want to be. I already know that my pup is going to be 'boss' once she gets older, Lexi is 'boss' at the mo, but she is uncomfortable in that position. It may be that Mia quite likes having a leader, someone to worry about the stresses etc.

A lot of people worry about keeping the first dog as boss, when really they might not want to be.

Let them sort it out between themselves, and feeding them first etc will make little or no difference. Plus if we are talking 'pack' mentality in the wild the pups feed first anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice