Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jack_R2011, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Jack_R2011

Jack_R2011 PetForums Newbie

I’m really worried about my dog. He’s healthy and happy, running around acting all normal, but I’m worried about feeding him. I only used to feed him once a day. For the last year or so we were feeding him 2x a day as sometimes he’d get bloated and the vet said to start feeding him 2x, he hasn’t got bloated since. I feel like such a bad owner. He’s a jack Russell, he’s always been a healthy weight but I weighted him Yesterday and he’s about a pound under weight. I know you’ll probably be thinking a pound isn’t that much but small dogs don’t exactly have many pounds to lose. I feel so bad, maybe I’m not feeding him enough. I’ve increased his food intake. Am I a bad owner? He’s not unwell just one pound underweight. Should I consult his vet? You’ll probably think I’m over reacting About one pound but I’m keeping an eye to see if he loses anymore. He’s a really hyperactive, happy and excitable dog. As he’s gotten older (he’s 9 now almost 10) he’s gotten a wee bit slower than when he was younger, but he could still give the pups energy a run for their money. I’m just worried do you think I’ve been a bad owner to him?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

A pound underweight from what. Is he normally exactly the same weight. It really is not a lot, you can expect a bit of fluctuation. Keep an eye on his weight but I really would not worry about it at the moment.

3. Jack_R2011

Yeah I’m probably worried about nothing. He usually weighs between 13 - 14 lbs (13 the last time I weighed him) but i weighed him yesterday and it said he’s 12.2 lbs. I’m going to keep an eye on him, but he’s acting normally and still hyperactive, so I think it may just be a bit of a fluctuation. I think I’ll start weighing him every week just to keep an in case

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Going off weight alone isn't ideal. What's he like to the feel? Have you body condition scored him?

Click to zoom in
    [​IMG]

p.s. what's his name? :)

Jack_R2011 likes this.
  5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

My dogs tend to run leaner in the summer as they get out more, especially after the wet winter we had this year they weigh about a kilo less than they were 6 months ago! They are bigger than your JRT but as long as you keep an eye on his body condition then he should be fine. If they are active and otherwise healthy a pound shouldn't be a worry. Most dogs are overweight anyway so he is probably about right! Better slightly lean than slightly podgy.

Kakite likes this.
  6. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

I would go by body condition as per previous posters and avoid weekly weigh-ins as you could become obsessed with his weight. It would be far more beneficial to weigh his food so his intake is consistent, as what you consider a handful of food today might be different to what you did 6 months ago. Then if you feel he needs to put on weight, slightly increase his daily allocation.

7. Jack_R2011

hi Torin, his name is Max, probably the most common dogs name ever. :)

I checked him on the body score chart and he seems to be a 4/5 - which is in the ideal part so I’m probably worrying about nothing. I’m still getting him checked out though just to make sure.

I think I also have to remember, he is getting older, so maybe his diet needs adjusting. He’s still a bundle of energy though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice