Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding different cooked meats

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Faldo, May 31, 2010.

1. Faldo

Faldo PetForums Newbie

I would just like to find out what cooked meats people feed their dogs, how they cook them and how often.

I have a 12 month old Border Collie. When he was a puppy he had some chronic diarrhea, and since then his stomach has been a little sensitive. I fed him most of a cooked chicken sometime after that and he had uncontrollable diarrhea again, which put me off feeding him cooked meat, giving him just his dry food and scraps from stuff I eat.

He doesn't eat much of the dog food and I want to supplement it with something healthy and that he enjoys. Last week I bought some pig liver, lightly fried it and gave him half a bowl of it along with his normal dry food. He ate the lot, but the next day his poos were like water. I left it a few days and gave him some more and he was fine, then again a few days later. I presume his stomach has got used to the liver by now.

Since then I've read that it's best not to give them too much liver, perhaps once a week, to avoid too much Vit A. I'm fine only giving it him once a week (I don't really like cooking it TBH), but I would like to give him some other meat in the week too.

I'll try him again on a little bit of chicken and rice and see how he goes, but I'd like to give him some heart or other cheap but healthy meat. Any recommendations for the type of meat or best way of cooking them are most welcome.

Sorry for the longish boring post but I don't want to give him something that could lead to health problems further down the line.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! Any reason why you want to cook his meat for your dog instead of feeding it raw? By giving it raw you ensure that all the nutrients are still intact -i.e. the ones that may be destroyed by cooking, such as vitamins and certain amino acids.

Yes, a lot of liver tends to give both dogs and cats the runs. However, a little liver is a great source of Vitamin A (and you are right, because Vitamin A is fat soluble it gets stored in the body and is not excreted out - hence you can give too much of a good thing).

Unless you are intending to completely feed your dog cooked or raw food, then you can really give him what you can get your hands on and what your dog enjoys.

Try a variety of things - chicken, even chicken wings, beef, lamb, venison, fish, rabbit, anything goes. The more variety the better - try to get some bone in there, nutritious and good for dental health. In addition to muscle meat and heart, try stomach or sweetbreads, kidney, spleen, lung, tongue. As I said, whatever you can get your hands on and what your dog will eat. It may be a bit of trial and error at the beginning - or it might not - he could just take to it like a duck to water.

If you want to feed him solely on cooked or even better raw meat, then you need to be more aware of the ratios you feed. You would normally try to mimic the ingredients of a prey animal. Typically that means 80% meat, 10% offal and 10% bone. But quite a few also feed veg and fruit.

Hope that helps!

3. Faldo

Faldo PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply hobbs, some good suggestions there.

The reason I don't want to feed him raw meat is that I've read it could cause the spreading of salmonella and other nasties to the people in the house. I realise raw meat is probably better for him, but I don't want to take any risks so I'd prefer to cook it. I don't nuke all the goodness out of it.

I don't want to feed him solely on meat, but want to give him more variety than just boring old dry food and try to fatten him up a bit as he's pretty thin. I think he's thin due to genetics rather than lack of food, he's not under-eating, he just doesn't eat much if that makes sense?

4. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Liver is very rich, so it's not wise to give a lot of it.

I have to agree with the above. I (and a lot of other posters here) feed raw, as long as you follow the same hygiene rules you would when preparing raw meat for yourself before cooking, you wont have a problem. If you're worried, take him in the garden and give him it there.

Before swapping to a full raw diet I mixed prize choice free flow mince in with their dry. That way I knew exactly what they were eating, plus I'd use different flavours of mince.

Maybe mix a bit of naturediet, or natures menu in with his dry to give it a bit of flavour.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Rather than cooking meat yourself, why not use a good quality wet food like Nature Diet or canned Bozita? May well be cheaper too. And mix in some warm water to bring up the aromas.

From what you've described, I'd try cutting chicken out of the diet for a bit. Chicken intolerance seems to be quite common dogs - I know 2 that have it - could be yours has it.

6. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Monty has cooked food, although I don't tend to fry his meat just poach in a little boiled water.

I started with chicken and rice and once he could tolerate that slowly introduced different meats. He has everything, hearts, kidneys, liver, chicken, turkey, mince, tinned sardines in oil and tuna in oil. He prefers veg to fruit although he did eat some melon the other day.

I don't find it expensive feeding him this way and there are no smelly poos either.

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

If i have a dog (or cat) with an upset tummy i will often boil some chicken or white fish to help settle their tummy.

However many dogs and cats have a slight intollerance to cooked chicken. I dont know why this is, but its one of the more reactive meats, so this could be the cause of your pups trotts.

I agree with everyone else though, feed raw. Good food hygine will minimise the salmonella risk, and good poop hygine would minimise it even further. Dogs and cats digestive system is designed to cope with such food bugs so providing your on the ball and not leaving raw food hanging around and not leaving the garden full of poo then you should be absoloutly fine!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice