Feeding cat

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jean Currie, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Jean Currie

Jean Currie PetForums Newbie

Hi, my cat was in hospital on Saturday night, he had crystals and couldn't pass urine. When I collected him on Sunday we were told he can only have dry food and no treats or anything. We used to feed him wet food like Felix and things, I thought having the wet food would have been better because there is liquid in it. I am confused about his feeding now, also another problem since brining him home is my other cat, she won't go near him now and if they are in the same room she will sit and stare at him or she will run out of the room. We have had them together for 3 years and I don't know what is going on, can someone help please

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Is the dry food your gave you a special diet food ?
    When your cat came home from the vets , he smelled different which is why your other cat wont go near him . cats recognise each other by scent .

I would ask this question in the Cat section where more cat people will see it .

3. Jean Currie

Jean Currie PetForums Newbie

Thanks for answering Kimthecat, it is a special diet food I was given for him. I just read up on the food looks like he has to have that one.

kimthecat likes this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Dry food is the absolute worst thing you can feed any cat, but especially a cat with urinary tract problems. Think about how contradictory it is to feed a cat who can't pee a DRY diet. If your vet insists on this high priced poor quality "prescription" food, then feed the wet only. Your cat should never have any dry food ever again.

He's be much better off being fed a raw diet. Meat is naturally acidifying, keeping the urine pH where it needs to be. And full of moisture.

You can get help with raw feeding here

http://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/

And the folks at Raw Feeding for IBD recommend this group for urinary tract problems:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FelineLowerUrinaryTract/?ref=linked_groups_hscroll

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Not to mention the extremely high carb content.

A cat needs a diet high in meat protein, high in moisture and low carbs. this means no dry food. Of any kind.

6. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum PetForums VIP

as @kimthecat said - it's because he now 'smells' differently ! The aroma he's gained from being with the vet will fade in time and normal relationship will resume, but in the meantime you can try rubbing him with a blanket that your girl has been using or with one of your worn t-shirts or jumpers so that he begins to smell 'normal' again.

kimthecat likes this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

You could ask if they have a wet food version of the diet.