Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding Barf??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dandantheanimalman, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Dandantheanimalman

Dandantheanimalman PetForums Newbie

Hi guys and girls.

got a few questions regarding barf feeding...

1.do you really have to stop your dog(s) from giving you 'kisses' and the likes because of the risk of salmonella (sp?)

2. are you really likely to catch salmonella from the dog, whether it be through the saliva or the stool?

3. the blood thirsty one... - now i have had people pretty much gaurantee that the dog will not become aggressive/blood thirsty but can this be gauranteed?

i only say this as locally there was a German Shephard brought up on the barf diet who got out and mauled two sheep to death, the end result was the dog getting put down. i personally would not want to risk this.

4. finally... (phew) - now i assume barf meant raw bones and raw meat etc etc, but whilst googling barf, i came across a website (ukbarfclub i think) which supplies pouches/tins and so on of so called barf food, is this really barf food? would this be a suitable barf diet?

sorry for the long winded post.

Dan

2. Sypher

Sypher PetForums Senior

1. No

2. You will find salmonella in processed dog food. There is no higher risk when feeding raw meat and bones.

3. This myth is utter nonsense

4. Stick to making up the diet yourself. It will be cheaper and you know where the ingredients come from.

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

In response to 3 and 4, no dog, no matter what their diet, should be trusted around livestock; any dog is likely to chase sheep once they start running. The best way is to make up your own food, but you can order prepacked BARF food, ready to just feed.

4. Dandantheanimalman

Thanks for the reply...

1. is their any particular reason why there will not be any salmonella in the dogs mouth?

2. really? just that i read a study, through the magic of google lol, about this salmonella issue and most dogs feed barf carried salmonella in the stools, where as dogs on the processed diet showed no signs of salmonella whatsoever. i did try to find the link for you, but no luck :(

also i thought that the cooking of the processed foods at the high temps killed out the salmonella?

3. so i thought, but with this happening locally, rather than hearsay i did have my doubts...

4. that was what i was led to believe you were meant to do, but just came across that website, which intrigued me slightly.

sorry to be a nuisance. just like to be prepared, thats all.

regards
    Dan

5. Dandantheanimalman

thanks for that.

as for Number 3 - I'm pretty sure the dog was fine around livestock with the owner, its just that when it got 'free' that it decided to go on the rampage, hence my doubts.

and on number 4 - i'm assuming if this was done, you would have to buy the bones seperately seeing as the pouches tend to just be meat/fruit/veg?

and what about the hair of the carcasses etc, i'm pretty sure that was 'natures toothbrush'. will feeding the dog(s) on the packaged barf rather than carcasses leed to dirty teeth/smelly breath?

thanks again
    Dan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice