Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding at current weight or for requires weight?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming, May 23, 2017.

1. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming PetForums Member

Dante is now on Arden grange prestige and has been on it for a few weeks now. He currently weighs 30kg and gets a daily allowance of 266g a day split into 3 meals (vet recommended this as it is easier to absorb for the dog) this food is for dogs whom are highly active and whom need to gain weight it is a high calorie diet. Having spoke to his breeder who said he should ideally be 34 kg his allowance would then be 299g a day. He also has a prebiotic added to his food which seems to be helping a lot! Can I just up his food to 299g to get him to his target weight of 34kg despite him only being 30kg atm.

Sorry about the long winded post!

Sarah x

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I don't wish to be rude but you seem to be quite focused on his weight. From the various pictures of him I've seen he looks fine. Lean but lean is good, and frankly I'd be more concerned if a young Dobermann wasn't a bit lean and ribby as they are not heavy in 'bone'/substance anyway.

I really don't think increasing his food by 30 grams a day is going to put 4kgs of weight on. It won't hurt of course.

3. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

Hi thank you for your reply, no not rude at all. I am such a worrier with my pets but especially regards to Dante's weight. He appears to look well conditions on photographs however, in reality he is a skinny boy. Despite having 3 meals a day he still appears hungry and searches for food a lot. Thank you
    Sarah x

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The photos look fine, you seemed to be concerned about ones when he was bent over on your last thread...this isn't a true gauge of shape though...many dogs bones, spine hip bones will protrude at certain angles when going through certain movements. Bending down, curling up in a ball are just one of them.

Have you seen the chart at your vets about body condition in dogs? It always shows a dog in the standing position, as this is the true way to test the body condition. The dog has to be standing.

Surely £34kg is a guide? Has your breeder asked about Dante's height too. Have you ever looked at breed standards? The heights, and weights vary..and with the breeder only seeing photos of Dante or videos I do not understand how she can say he needs to be another 8kg.

I have to dogs that weigh identical weights...4kg. Ok they are different breeds one is a Chihuahua, and one is a Yorkie. They are approximately the same size, but the Yorkie is naturally stockier than the chi who is naturally lean. Am sure I could compare them both to other 4kg dogs of the same breed, same height and some will seem leaner some stockier. However none would be overweight, all classed as lean. You can't make a lean young dog anything else, and you shouldn't want to.

5. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Is Dante entire or neutered?

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'd just increase each meal a little and then adjust in order to maintain.

I tend to adjust slightly down in Spring/Summer to keep Jack maintained all year.

If the food is high quality presumably the quantities are smaller, which may be why Dante always feels hungry? Could you add some bulk to help satisfy him, that wouldn't interfere with absorption? Or put one of his meals in a puzzle to keep him busy and take longer to eat?

7. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

Hi sorry about the late reply.

Dante is intact. He originally has 2 meals a day but I have upped it to 3 to see how he goes x

8. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

I could add pasta or carrots to try and fill him up X

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

You may never get much more weight on him whilst he is entire.
    They burn up calories (especially in spring I find) because of bitches in heat. The bitches could be miles away, and outwardly the dog might not react to that smell but it can make them burn up more calories.
    Not all entire dogs of course but some :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice