Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding and exercising, how long to wait

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by alphadog, Jul 2, 2009.

1. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I don't exercise my dogs for at least half an hour before exercise because of the risks of bloat, but I read recently that the same should apply after exercise too.

What do you do and what rules/guidlines are you aware of?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you mean you dont exercise you dogs for atleast half an hour after feeding?

I wont walk mine until a good 2 hours after feeding, and i dont feed until a good hour after exercise.

#2 Nonnie, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  3. rona

rona Guest

I stick to the 2 hours before, but not quite so worried about after unless they are panting.

4. trabonita

trabonita PetForums Member

I've taken my dog out half an hour after feeding and he's always been fine!

5. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

that's what i do. I'm also carefull with water after I never have it to cold:)

6. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

I always stick to no food 1 hour b4 or after excercise.
    But as far as bloat is concerned there are other factors to consider, such as a dog bolting food and swallowing air to what type of food u give.
    In the wild a dog isnt going to think right just jogged 3 miles and come accross this dead rabbit...mmm better just have a rest for a while b4 i consume it! But the dog will jog eat and then rest??
    I think I may have had too much sun today:eek:

7. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Blimey! Looks like I've been lucky with only a half hour rule of thumb then :eek:

It's rare that I feed before exercise, I like the principle that dogs enjoy the 'hunt' and then tuck into the 'kill' - and they've built up an appetite that way too.

8. rona

rona Guest

Nah, if you noticed who has answered here, most of us are maybe shall we say :blushing: a little over the top with our dog care ;)
    Maybe we have all had or seen things that others haven't :(

9. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I confess, mine used to be fed as soon as we got home until i saw a dog with bloat

10. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

It was a local lady who I haven't seen for some time who got me thinking. She came home from an evening out and found her Lab x swelled up like a balloon. The emergency vet got to work and luckily he was saved. It really put the fear of god into me, so that's when I did a quick flick back through my training info and found the 'wait after exercise' rule. That must have gone in one ear and out the other at the time

I've also read contradictory information on the use of bowl stands re bloat. It's too confusing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice