Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding an elderly cat - skinny

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Lisaj, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Lisaj

Lisaj PetForums Member

I have an 18 year old cat who has become very very thin.

She's had blood tests and aside from a borderline liver reading her blood tests came back good. We were given liver meds to try her on for a month and see if it helped her gain weight - they didn't do anything.

She is very hungry all the time and eats 3 times a day. I feel her elderly cat food (kibble type) and also pouches as she doesn't have many teeth.

Has anyone got any ideas on what I can feed her to beef her up a bit?

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hiya, I presume when they checked the bloods they also ran some thyroid tests (they aren't typically part of a normal blood test)?

In terms of beefing her up, would you consider moving her back on to some adult food? Senior food tends to be quite low in fat and protein but full of carbs and fibre, which isn't very filling in comparison.

To take the stress of her liver and kidney I would also be inclined to feed her more wet than dry food...

Hope that helps!

3. Lisaj

Lisaj PetForums Member

Yes she had a seperate thyroid test as we were trying to find out why she's so thin and it was normal.

I am inclined to up her wet food, she enjoys it more than the dry anyway. Think I just needed the push..... thanks! :)

4. We have the same problem - and we have ALWAYS fed wet - be he seems to eat so much more these days so we have started to put a handful of dry down for him! Are we doing wrong? and should we keep increasing the wet?

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How long ago was the thyroid test? Do you know what the reading was and the range? The reason I ask is because high normal in older cats could still point to being hyperthyroid. Also the T4 level can fluctuate throughout the day. The elevated liver reading, weight loss and ravenous appetite all point to hyperT and I would test again just in case. Does she have any nodules on her throat? Heart rate? You could also ask for a Free T4 test to help with a more accurate result.

Failing that, another thing that springs to mind is malabsorbtion problems stemming from IBD where owing to intestinal inflammation she isn't absorbing all the necessary nutrients. How are stools? If they are soft and light coloured this could well be the case. This is easily treated with special diet and medications BUT will not impove otherwise.

Did the vet do a physical examination?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice