Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Fayeyasmin, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Fayeyasmin

Fayeyasmin PetForums Junior

hello again

We have a four month old frenchie and he doesn't seem to have a very big appetite.

We feed him at about seven but he doesn't eat much and isn't really interested,again at 1230 he isn't interested and at seven he always eats it all but I wouldn't say he wolfs it down. In his first two meals he is likely to eat more if it is on the floor or from my hand (not a good habit to start I know). The only think I can think of for the first two meals is he has just woke in the morning. And at lunch he is usually asleep when I get home.

Has anyone had anything similar or got any advice

Here's a pic and yes he always looks this sad :)

Attached Files:

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Could be the bowl you feed him from that he's not actually confident using...most breeders use very shallow dishes have known some to use some use lids of plastic tubs not ideal but that's what people have done

Maybe change to something he is more confident feeding from.

When puppies first come home, many people claim they are fussy or have no appetite but it's usually a confident thing. It takes a lot of confidence to eat alone with no litter mates or mum close by. Change of bowl and change of food can also disrupt this.

How long this takes for a dog to be more confident is like asking how long is a piece of string.

One more piece of information, is that feeding guides are usually generous, so if he's gaining weight OK, and not losing then he's probably on the right amount of food anyway.

However I would still suggest feeding him from something else, I prefer my dogs to eat with gusto...as often the first sign of illness is loss of appetite. So I really want confident happy eaters. It really doesn't matter what the bowl or anything looks like, as long as he eats.

3. Fayeyasmin

Fayeyasmin PetForums Junior

Thank you that's really really helpful. :)

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice