Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding advice needed for underweight lurcher

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lucysnewmum, May 28, 2010.

1. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

hi all
    as you probably know i have a foster lurcher in my care - greyhound x approx 4 yrs old we think (should have more accurate guess on monday when he has been to the vet). he is really underweight - all bones at the back end. he has had a badly upset stomach since arriving and filled 6 poo bags in one go!!! i have put him on 6 small meals a day to help him and today he has just started doing real poos instead of watery stuff. he is tolerating his meals much better but i was wondering if there is any suppliment to his diet anyone can recommend to get his body weight back up to where it should be or should i just continue with the small meals building him up slowly? i am used to spaniels, labs, and gundogs in the main who all used to have about a teaspoon full of beef fat in their meals when they lost weight and condition but i am worried that this will trigger my little mans diaorrhea off again. any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    many thanks
    gilly

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I'm sure I remember hearing tripe is good for getting weight on. But it's pretty rich, but as you're feeding six small meals I imagine adding a little would be okay?

Have you considered trying something like protexin profiber? It settled my boys sensitive stomach right down.

3. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

the vet gave me something in a tube, like a paste, that i add to his feed twice a day to settle his tummy - it seems to be working! he is much happier in himself tonight and has settled early for sleep. being the over anxious foster mum that i am it is now 2am and i am still watching over him! lol he was much brighter on his walk earlier and more interactive with his new playmates so i guess we are heading in the right direction! i was asking more about the long term stuff i could introduce to his diet to help with the weight gain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice