Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding 'Adult' Branded Cat Food to Senior Cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Catmandooo, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Catmandooo

Catmandooo PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

Would it be okay to feed 'Adult' marketed Animonda Carny cat food to two cats aged 6 and 13?

The adult cat food is a lot cheaper than the 'Senior' marketed product.

Is it basically the same stuff? Will it have any detrimental effects?

Thanks!

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yes it's okay and as long as it is complete and balanced wet food, no it's not detrimental. The labels are all just marketing.

3. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Our boy is 14 and in one brand it’s just food (there’s no different marketing), in another despite there being adult, 7+ and 11+ versions he prefers the adult and in the other he likes the senior.

They are very similar ingredients, slightly lower calories on the senior versions but our boy needs all the calories he can get :)

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Most seniors do. I don't know where the pet food manufacturers get this idea that elderly cats are all overweight. In my considerable experience old cats get skinny. Perhaps they are targeting cats 12 or 13 before they get to that old skinny cat stage, but even then, reducing fat isn't the way to do it. Cats need fat, and more importantly fat sourced from meat animals. Same with protein. it's carbohydrates they don't need, at any stage of life.

Mazy cat is 17 now and she's getting that skinny old cat look. She just can't eat enough to maintain her weight any more.She's as active as ever, loves a thunder around the house, and play play play. But she's always had the IBD vomiting issue and in times past i could make up the deficit with extra meals. These days she just can't eat an extra meal, it's more likely to come back up.

Mazy cat's diet is tailor made to her, raw fed with EZcomplete and I add extra skin. I buy a big roaster each month and take the skin for Mazy cat and make bone broth soup with the carcass. I've tried increasing her fat without deceasing the meat, but she just can only eat so much in a day now.

Plus older cats, older anything or anyone really, can't digest and get the nutrients from their food as well. Another reason not to put a senior cat on a "low fat" diet. Better to add a good digestive enzyme and ensure the diet is providing protein and fat and moisture without a lot of carbs.

PS I monitor Mazy cat's weight weekly and she sees the vet every 6 months. She's lost a pound in the last year, a half ounce or an ounce at a time. She doesn't show loss every week, it's been very slow. Honestly if it weren't for her anal glands I'd give up the 6 months visits after this next one, she hates them so. But I don't think it's quite time for that yet. I suspect the blood work may show some beginning kidney insufficiency this time, just a feeling I have based on how she looks, the feel and look of her coat.

#4 lorilu, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  5. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I've never heard of a cat checking out the age of a mouse before eating it!!;)

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice