Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding a Romanian Rescue

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mum to Suzie, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:05 AM.

1. Mum to Suzie

Mum to Suzie PetForums Newbie

We have had Suzie for 18 months and she has settled in reasonably well.

When she first arrived she wasn't interested in food and although she now eats regularly she really only likes human food - probably what she was able to get when a stray.

We have tried all different types of dog food but she still prefers chicken or the like.

Would it be ok to feed her this kind of diet all the time? She obviously enjoys it and eats quickly. She is five years old.

Many thanks.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

No, feeding her cooked chicken isn’t going to be a balanced diet.

To be honest I think most dogs would love to be fed chicken or other tasty human food if they had the choice!

Have you tried wet, dry and raw? Otherwise some people do feed a home cooked diet but it needs to be carefully done.

Torin., Burrowzig, tabelmabel and 3 others like this.
  3. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Junior

Do you know Suzie's history in Romania?I think most of the street dogs survive by raiding the trash bins,my boy still can't pass one by,and he's well fed and been with me for six years.Old habits die hard.I think stale bread is also a mainstay of their diet,we know that Maci used to sit on the steps of a local bakery for hours,hoping that the woman there would throw him some stale stuff out.The dogs in the barbaric public shelters get fed sometimes,usually thrown amongst the dog waste in large pens,where I think food fights are common and the more timid or weaker dogs don't get anything.Once they get into rescue,they are obviously fed much better but stretched resources can limit what they get.Some of the rescuers distribute kibble amongst some of the street dogs too.So food can be an issue for a lot of the dogs,even once they have a regular supply and some dogs just aren't as foody as others,of course.Without knowing how nervous or otherwise Suzie is,I wonder if she's nervous about eating (lots of dogs are attacked for food,both on the streets and in the public shelters),so only the most high value foods are worth risking.Sometimes a decent wet food that can be warmed in the microwave for a couple of seconds,to release the aroma but not heat up (the 'supermarket shelf' ones turn to mush),can tempt a nervous eater.Maybe mix in a little cooked chicken etc.Sometimes it's where or how the dogs fed eg not used to a food bowl or nervous to eat in full sight.Maybe try something like Forthglade or Natures Menu.Trial and error I think.All the best and let us known how she's doing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice