Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeding a cat different brands/flavour advice.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cocobean19, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Cocobean19

Cocobean19 PetForums Newbie

Hello new to this forum.

After some research I've decided to feed my kitten more than one brand. I'm looking for advice on how I should plan her meals from one brand to another. Mix them together to stop tummy problems?
    How many brands/flavours?
    How often should I change between the brands/flavours?
    What brands to people recommend? (Only a fan of pate style wet food) The brands I've tried so far is Animonda Carny, Feringa and Grau. She likes all 3 but Grau is bit out my price range and when I gave her ferings without any mixture she had diarrhoea.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Sounds like you've been learning a lot!

I prefer to feed straight, not mixes. This way, if something is bothering, you know what it is.

Introduce a new brand or protein slowly, just a tiny amount every other day for a couple of weeks, gradually increasing the amount until you feed one full meal of it. If the food doesn't cause any problems add it to the rotation.

If I was feeding canned I would feed a different brand or protein each meal. For instance: 3 meals a day, brand A chicken for 1st meal, brand B turkey for second meal, brand C duck for third meal. The next day I would mix it up in a different way, and so on.

I would recommend using a probiotic daily as well.

As for how many, I guess that might depend on how many brands you can find that don't have ingredients you don't want to feed. That's another reason why a rotation of brands is desirable, cuts down on the yucky stuff. But you probably already figured that out. :)

My cats are raw fed and for the healthy cat she gets a different protein every meal. Her proteins are beef, chicken breast, chicken thigh, lamb, pork, and turkey breast. Today she had turkey breast, lamb and pork. I also use two different pre-mixes for her, and two kinds of liver, beef and chicken.

chillminx and Britt like this.
  3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

If you buy a box of Feringa pouches as well as cans, you can give her a small amount (alongside her other food) for the first few days without too much wastage.

Britt likes this.
  4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I would be wary of buying pouches if the ultimate aim is to buy cans. Ollie would eat a flavour when fed a pouch but refuse it when I bought it in 200gm cans. I believe other members have had a similar experience.
    Far better to portion out the contents of a 200gm can and freeze the surplus, defrosting a tub as needed.

chillminx likes this.
  5. Cocobean19

Thats a good idea regarding different types of protein. Coco has recently been neutered so her anaesthetics called slight diarrhoea so I think that confused me somewhat.
    I read recently aswell if you change the flavour too frequently then this could make a cat fussier. My plan is to change flavours every 4 days or so (depending on whats in the cupboard. Opinions?

6. Britt

Britt PetForums VIP

Sorry to hijack this thread but I never fed Feringa. I wonder if Pooh would eat it or not. I'm desperate to find food that he actually likes.

7. Cocobean19

Not at all. We're all just wanting the best for our pets. After quite a bit of research these are the brands I've noted down to try coco on. She's 7 months old now so she'll be on Carny, Feringa and Grau maybe if I run out .

Kitten Brands
    Animonda Carny
    Grau
    Bozita (chunks in jelly/gravy)
    Feringa

Brands to try after 1 year (aswell as kitten brands)
    Granatapet
    Macs
    Catz finefood
    Smilia

Britt likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Cocobean19 - I wouldn't feed the same recipe of food for 4 days. I'd do what lorilu suggested and have a variety of 4 or 5 different foods (different manufacturers, different meat proteins if possible) and work through them on a rotated basis so your cat is not eating the same food 2 days consecutively.

If he will eat the same make & flavour of food throughout the first day it saves wastage [or needing to freeze food], then move on to the next food in your rotation the following day, and so on, through the week. I kept a chart pinned to the cat food cupboard when my cats were kittens, so as to remind me which order to rotate their foods.

Britt likes this.
  9. Cocobean19

How would you's recommend how to introduce such a schedule of different brands/content without causing stomach upset?

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Start with one new food at a time. Put a teaspoonful on a separate dish alongside his dish of usual food. Leave the new food down for him for a few hours and then if it is not eaten throw it away and try again with a fresh small sample next day. If it is still not accepted then it is probably best to abandon the idea of introducing that particular food, and move on to another new food, using the same method I have described.

If he eats the sample, then you can increase the new food [slowly] day by day, adding a little more to the dish of new food each day over a period of 4 days, while at the same time reducing the amount of his usual food by the same amount. If there are signs of loose stools, stop the new food, and once the stools are firm again, try a different new food.

If there is no adverse reaction from his bowel, after several days of gradual increase of the food, then you can serve him full meals of the new food and it can be added into the rotation with the other foods he likes and tolerates (e.g. Animonda Carny).

Don't introduce any more new food for 3 weeks. Then start the next trial period, using the same method as above. If that introduction is successful then 3 weeks later you can try introducing the next food.

I would leave the Feringa, many cats are fine with it, but it is known for causing loose stools in some cats. It is quite high in offal, including heart, which can be loosening to the bowel. Smilla is the same. He might be OK when he is a bit older with Feringa; or some flavours of it. (i.e. when his digestive system is more mature)

Treaclesmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice