Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feed advice needed please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JJAK, May 28, 2010.

1. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

hello, im new to the forum and would really appreciate peoples help and advice on a feed issue!

My border collie is currently fed 'Wagg' dry dog food, she seems to be doing alright on it, shes put on loads of weight, her coat is shiny and it doesnt give her too much energy. However, recently we noticed that she is eating grass, she never eats enough to make herself sick though.

Iv asked a few other people with dogs and theyve all said to change her food as it could be upsetting her stomach and the eating grass is to re settle it.

The only thing is i have absolutely no idea where to even start, in regards to which dog food to swap her to. Ideally id like to keep her on a dry dog food as meat gives her TERRIBLE wind (its so discusting and she isnt quiet about it ;)) and tends to make her belly worse, although obviously the more often she has meat the better her wind becomes.

Please help. many thanks

2. rona

rona Guest

My dog eats grass when the weather gets warm.
    Nothing to do with his food

3. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Makes me feel abit better then :)

Iv never had one eat grass without been sick before, hence the not knowing what to do! Least im not the only one it happens too!!

Thankyou

4. rona

rona Guest

My boy was eating grass for 10 minutes today, I think it tastes good this time of year :D

5. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

My dogs are fed on wagg - they are fine with it, in fact meg has never been in better condition. I wouldn't change her now.

I top it up with meat and treats are usually high protein ... got to cook some liver tomorrow - I hate liver with a vengence but I am sure the dogs will love it ... good for training puppy.

6. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I'd change from wagg purely because it's god awful, have a read of this independant review, it's from a site a lot of people on here use to check ingredients etc.

Dog Food Reviews - Wagg Complete Chicken & Veg - Powered by ReviewPost

As for the grass, my boys both eat grass whenever they're in the parl, never to the point they throw up though, I think they just like it lol.

7. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Cheers for that,
    iv got absolutely no idea of what sort of food to swap her to though,
    ideally id like something that keeps her looking good, not too fattening which wont give her wind or too much energy but at the same time fills her up and wont break the bank!

8. rona

rona Guest

Ahem Beta is the worst of the worst food :(
    I'd feed Wagg any day over that :eek:

9. rona

rona Guest

If you want a good food that keeps them slim, you could have a look at this
    Burns Pet Nutrition - Real Food For Pets

10. rona

rona Guest

11. rona

rona Guest

Loads of threads on this section about the merits of different foods. :thumbup:
    I shall leave you two to go hunting them ;) :D

12. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Before we got the collie the russell was on pedigree, which seemed to send him completely and utterly loopy, then with getting my own place and having to watch the pennies abit more thats when they moved on to wagg (purely for cost reasons!) but now were more settled and im much better with my cash flow i can afford to spend abit more on their wellbeing. I would after all like to give them the best possible life...just dont know what to feed them!!

13. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

I was thinking more along the same price range as you £20-£30, just for the time being (as im still not 100% fantastic with money!) iv worked out that a bag should last about 3 weeks when fed at the feeding guide my vet sorted out for the russell and collie (the russell looks at food and gets fat!) so £30 is my limit at the moment...as if i have to buy 2 bags a month thats £60 (which is just under a weeks rent!)

14. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They changed JWB it's not so good anymore. Orijin and naturediet are probably the best foods. Science plan is really bad as is Hills. Burns and skinners are good and cheaper too

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Then skinners or burns. IAMS is a bad food

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

And because it's a working dog food it's cheaper because there's no VAT on it. Anything that isn't full of additives and stuff your dog can't digest is always good

Star's a lovely dog by the way I love flatcoats

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Pedigree and Beta are like you eating MacDonalds everyday. Dogs eat it because it's like junk food for us really bad for you but it tastes good. You'll see the difference when she's on a better food

18. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

He's so pretty I got confused sorry. Mine has nearly every food in it maybe they would order it in for you if you ask you're better getting it now and switching him over slowly. Switching over right away can cause stomach problems

19. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Anyone tried 'wainwrights'?

or have any opinions of it, a friend just suggested it but didnt give a reason!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice