Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fed. Wildlife-agent posts photos depicting severe cruelty

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by leashedForLife, Aug 23, 2013.

1. leashedForLife

WARNING - graphic photos,
    including a leg-trapped coyote that this man allows his 2 dogs to chivvy viciously, & they eventually
    kill the animal - not neatly or quickly, but in a long slow torture.

Federal Employee Jamie Olson Sics His Dogs on Trapped Coyote ~ Send Emails and Call Now Please. Ask for Termination of Employment. | THIS 'N' THAT

Aapparently he sics his dogs on the trapped coyotes regularly; the 9th photo down shows a coyote backing
    into a conifer, at the limit of the pegged-down trap chain, with the black dog behind the coyote,
    under the conifer, & the Airedale attacking from the front. The coyote's foreleg is strained almost
    out of the shoulder, trying to retreat from the Airedale, while snapping desperately upward to
    threaten the black dog, out of reach behind the coyote's back legs.

PLEASE NOTE
    the grisly photo of the coyote corpse draped over a long-dead tree trunk -
    the ugly wounds are wire loops, buried in the coyote's flesh, clear thru the skin & exposing muscle & bone.

ALL traps are supposed to be checked daily - there is no way in the world that such severe wounds
    could have been caused in only 24-hours in a trap. Leaving an animal to suffer for days is unconscionable.
    This employee is violating game-laws that every fur-taker is supposed to follow absolutely. :incazzato:

IMO, this is grotesque, the DOGS' behavior is "normal", but that doesn't mean that allowing one's dogs to torture
    another animal who cannot escape or defend themselves is "normal". IMO it's indefensible - i do hope
    that he's fired, ASAP. No one with such poor judgement could be considered responsible or ethical,
    even if he were given a warning / fined / otherwise told to change this pattern of behavior.

"Wildlife Services" is the current Federal euphemism for "killing predators", since hunters, ranchers, & farmers
    or fishermen are not keen on sharing game species or fish of any kind, nor their range-lands or crop-lands
    or pastures, with any wild species that eats anything we might want to eat - or shoot for sport,
    or fish for eating or sport. :thumbdown:

LIVESTOCK GUARDIANS are one simple solution for reducing livestock losses, which in any case are vastly
    due to any number of other factors, not from wild predators - stillborn calves or lambs are often eaten
    by wild predators, as are lambs who die of hypothermia, poor attn from the dam [trapped in the sac,
    smothered, drowned in birth fluids, etc] - autopsies of dead stock & scene analysis have consistently
    shown that weather losses kill 10X what predators ever do [cold, rain, driving winds & newborns don't mix well] -
    but ranchers & farmers think losing ONE head of stock is reason to wipe out every predator bigger than a shrew
    or a shrike, which is insane over-reaction. Even with all livestock killed by wild predators fully compensated,
    there are a loud & active segment of ranchers, farmers, hunters & fishermen who don't want any wild predators
    left alive, outside of a national park. :rolleyes: Sorry, fellas - wildlife don't obey "park limit" signs,
    & they need more space than a few widely scattered "reserves" to survive into the future.

I wouldn't want his dogs anywhere near MY stock, if i still had sheep, ponies, & horses - i wouldn't trust 'em,
    not for 2-seconds - let alone with even more vulnerable penned rabbits, domestic ducks, geese, & etc.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

That's just disgusting and totally inhumane, the animal must be in a great deal of stress and pain from the trap without setting dogs on it.

The trap actually looks like whats called a Gin Trap in the UK. Gin Traps are actually illegal in the UK as they cause unesccessary suffering and have been since the late 1950s. Although they are still used illegally sometimes. If anyone is caught using them illegally it carries really high fines imprisonment or both.

So for two reasons I think its disgusting and inhumane firstly the use of a trap that causes suffering and the way the dogs have been set on the poor animal that cant defend itself causing even more pain and suffering and a terrible death.

Don't know about calls to terminate his employment shame he wasn't in the UK and plastered himself over facebook, as he would be prosecuted and face fines and or/imprisonment.

3. leashedForLife

i can only wish - IMO we can't possibly justify retaining an employee who is supposed to help prosecute
    violations of laws pertaining to wildlife, who breaks them with impunity, & moreover with blatant cruelty. :thumbdown:

4. Sled dog hotel

Totally agree its like leaving a fox to guard the hen house!!

5. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

Absolutely no excuse whatsoever, you look at this and know evil really does exist.

6. leashedForLife

sadly & scarily, yes. :( DoG knows, i wouldn't want this fella as a neighbor.

7. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

Poor, poor animal...

What kind of person barbarically slaughters an animal in that way and then poses with it's mangled corpse?

It disgusts me!

His poor dogs too... How has he trained them to rip apart another animal which is practically the same species? This isn't a terrier hunting and killing a rabbit! It's predator close-species attacking... That to me, is similar to dog fighting...

It's like dogs who were trained to bate bears or lions in the early days, the training for those dogs was just as barbaric as the sport.

Makes me feel physically sick!

8. leashedForLife

9. leashedForLife

Nov 2013 -

Wyoming coyote trapper defends graphic photos | Indy Blog

Cue the violins. :incazzato: Poor misunderstood man!

Jan-31, 2013 -
    SECOND case, different AGENT, different STATE
    U.S. wildlife agent accused of trapping a neighbor's dog - Wildlife investigation - The Sacramento Bee

Another wildlife-agent deliberately sets 2 leghold traps IN HIS YARD, TO CATCH A NEIGHBOR'S DOG -

mid-March 2013 -
    Federal wildlife agency accused of abusive, cruel acts involving dogs - National Dogs | Examiner.com

Other wildlife agents state that killing trapped predators with their own dogs as the 'instruments' is standard.

June-15, 2013 -
    still Qs about the "investigation" which found he had done nothing wrong.

Documents show questions about Wildlife Services probe in animal cruelty - Wildlife investigation - The Sacramento Bee

from the comments, by SandCanyonGal -

June 12, 2013 -
    he's still on the payroll, no word on any retribution, EIGHT MONTHS later.

Federal agency gives few answers on months-long probe of alleged animal cruelty | Fox News

the petition to fire him is still up:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/fir...ederal-trapper-jamie-olson-for-animal-cruelty

10. leashedForLife

Marc Beckoff reviews the agency's record -

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ldlife-services-trapper-allows-animal-torture

As for LEGITIMATE targets - the ones they're "supposed" to kill -
    Bold added for emphasis

11. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

OMG look at his smug grin the effing tw*t.

God that poor animal just to think of the pain it was in from its foot while having to try defend its self that is so awful,that will stay with me a long time.:(

12. Sled dog hotel

If the use of those sorts of traps are common place and used all the time, then dogs or no dogs being set on them personally I cant se how they can say the programme is responsible for humanely killing them. Unless I have got it wrong and using these traps are not part of the programme?

They are still animals seen as a threat or not, and its wrong to use traps that case unnecessary suffering.

Seems like the whole department needs serious investigation and a shake up.

13. Sled dog hotel

We cross posted and I hadn't yet seen this, The whole department and their methods seem totally corrupt, wildlife and people and domestic animals need protection from them more then anything else!!

14. leashedForLife

yes. And all he can say is that he "shouldn't have made the photos publicly accessible."
    :yikes: Words fail. :nonod:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice