UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my dogs have always produced a lot of poo (around 5-6 per day each:eek:) but I have posted on here before and been reassured that this is the top end of average output:( I have always tried to buy the best quality dry food I can afford to feed 2 largish dogs on and have done my research, settling on Fish4dogs at first and then for the past year Workinghprs for dogs with sensitive tums. Both foods are grain free and made with fish & potato. Still lots of poo though. More recently my 2 year old Golden Retriever has been having lots of small loose poos whilst out on his morning walk. So many I lose count(up to 12!) His first 2 or 3 are normal and firm but then they get smaller and more watery as the walk progresses. They are never bloody or mucousy but can be from a Mr Whippy consistency to just a few drops of liquid. I tried a 12 hour fast followed by boiled rice and Original tinned Chappie and then reintroducing his dried food mixed with the Chappie. Ok for a few days but now this morning back to POO CITY :( I don't want to have to take him to the vet to be told to starve him then chicken and rice followed by Science Plan. I am thinking that if it was anything infectious then my other dog would have it too but he hasn't. I am due to buy some more dog food next week and really don't know what I should do/buy.
I'm so p*ssed off that after reading about dog nutrition I still have a dog with problems yet other people who don't even think about it and buy crap from the supermarkets seem to have dogs that poo normally:mad: Any helpful advice welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Mine always get firmer with a bit of liver, maybe that's not normal. :lol:
Sorry Phoolf - liver makes Bess's softer too! :rolleyes:

In answer to the OP since I put Bess on a raw diet her poos are tiny, not smelly and tend to disappear by themselves! I'm afraid we're not the pick it up immediately from the garden people, and when I've gone out to do 'poo patrol' I often find I can't find any!

Switching to raw from feeding a convenient dry food is a bit daunting, but I find it's actually fun choosing what food to give her (which is simply selecting something from the freezer), and seeing her enjoyment of eating. Meal times last longer for her too, and importantly, what comes out at the other end is a fraction of the amount from any commercial food!

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Sorry Phoolf - liver makes Bess's softer too! :rolleyes:

In answer to the OP since I put Bess on a raw diet her poos are tiny, not smelly and tend to disappear by themselves! I'm afraid we're not the pick it up immediately from the garden people, and when I've gone out to do 'poo patrol' I often find I can't find any!

Switching to raw from feeding a convenient dry food is a bit daunting, but I find it's actually fun choosing what food to give her (which is simply selecting something from the freezer), and seeing her enjoyment of eating. Meal times last longer for her too, and importantly, what comes out at the other end is a fraction of the amount from any commercial food!
I actually drew up a meal plan a few weeks ago so it's easy to organise and figure out what to give her. It's still varied but it means she gets the right amounts and it's less stressful trying to remember when she had what.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Conversely, when I tried mine on some of the Natural Instinct raw it ran straight through her. Bone also has the same effect so it is a no go here.

I have just stuck with the Skinners Duck and Rice but, like you, I get some firmish poos and then some Mr Whippy after it too. She runs around so much on her walks I think it must affect her digestion or something???

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Conversely, when I tried mine on some of the Natural Instinct raw it ran straight through her. Bone also has the same effect so it is a no go here.

I have just stuck with the Skinners Duck and Rice but, like you, I get some firmish poos and then some Mr Whippy after it too. She runs around so much on her walks I think it must affect her digestion or something???
Maybe try some pro-biotic yoghurt mixed in with the food? Supposed to help digestion. :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We used to get this problem every 3-4 weeks with Izzy, 3/4 days with loose poos and multiple squats. We would have to starve for 24hrs then rice and chicken for 24hrs with pro-kolin before back to normal food with pro-kolin added for a few days. Hers was quite mucusy though and I think it must have been colitis.

In June/July we started her on this http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/260148-protexin-bio-premium-recommendation.html and since then she's been brilliant and now has a tum of steel (touch wood)! We occasionally get a loose poop but its just the one and by the next time she "goes" its back to normal again. At the same time as buying the protexin we bought 2 tubes of pro-kolin paste which are still in the cupboard unopened as evidence that shes no longer a poopy butt ;) :D!!

Just for reference shes fed 1/2 wainwrights wet trays 1/2 skinners duck and rice and normally "goes" 3 times a day!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
This used to sound like me and Rufus.. I'd easily clean up 5-6 poos every day, and they were often quite soft. I'd looked into many many different foods and nutrition, tried some, but nothing really helped... until now! He now eats Markus Muhle and has done for several weeks. I've seen alot of great reviews on the web about this food which is why I bought it, but some people on this forum advised me against it as it has some grain in it. I decided i'd go with the online reviews and i'm really pleased with Rufus's pooping now. He does 2-3 solid poops... happy days!! It's cooked differently to normal Kibble, it's cold pressed which means the grain is easier to digest and also the nutrients in the other ingredients aren't cooked away. I always thought that Rufus was in great condition with all the other foods he was eating, but i've also noticed that he is even softer than before. I'd give it a try... It's not even expensive. £32.99 for a 15kg bag and a dog Rufus's size (15kg French Bulldog) only needs to eat 180g.. so it works out really cheap. Thumbs up from me!

·
Registered
17,498 Posts

My golden was loose when he started eating bones. He did get better though.

I've used Pro Biotics Pro Fibre if mine get loose and that seems to help a lot too! I literally give two scoops and they are fine the next time they go. TBH that is more if he is a bit mucousy or something though (damn retrievers scavenging bad stuff on walks :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Nobody has mentioned it so I will. Being loose can be a sign of overfeeding. Depends on the dog as they are all different but some dogs need less than the recommended feeding amount of food.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
We used to feed our lot F4D and for some reason earlier this year they all started pooping much greater volumes on it. I've no idea why, this was well before the recipe change, but it was ridiculous.

We swapped them all onto Acana Pacifica and the problem resolved pretty much instantly.

Now they all generally go once or twice a day and the whippet will go once out on walks :thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
No matter what i feed my boys they always get runny poos on walks. I put it down to excitement.

They are being fed raw atm and during the day they have one or two poos but later at night when running loose around the fields their poo ends up doing the same :eek:

Before we fed, Wagg and that was the same - one or two poos a day and runny on walks. Dr Johns, Wainwrights, Arkwright, Greyhound feeds. We've tried the lot and always end up with the same result.

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
My fourteen year old Goldie goes about 3-4 times a day and they are normally firm, but on occasions she has bouts the same as th OPs dogs. Only seems to last the day, starts normal, then loose and finally the dribbley bits. She seems fine and I suspect she got her jaws round something horrid.
She is fed on Burns lamb and rice and very little else. She is beginning to tip into kidney failure and is losing a little weight so I am giving her a little more food then I have previously, but I wouldn't say this is the cause as she has had these bouts of looseness for some time. I also suspect she is not travelling as well as she used to especially in the motorhome which is noisy.
Off to google the pro biotics mentioned as they seem a good idea.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Glad its not just Tia that has this prob.....Bailey&Tia are fed Simpsons sensitive salmon&potato. Bailey will go twice a day if that, Tia up to 5 times. When my mum looked after her she commented how often she went and the dog sitter said she became known as Tia 2 poos as she would go out first thing, have her brekkie and then need to go again. She is quite an excitable/anxious girl so i know abit of it is down to that but for me she is on the low side of lean showing hip bones&afew ribs...i know whippets are skinny anyway but id like abit more bone coverage. Its like she doesnt get chance to digest all the goodness.
Raw diet is not possible for us we have a small freezer and whatever Tia eats Bailey needs to eat as no room for 2 foods.
Markus Muhle is being raved about on Scruples Whippet rescue as being very close to raw?? But here it doesnt have the same opinions. Muchus confused...

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
This used to sound like me and Rufus.. I'd easily clean up 5-6 poos every day, and they were often quite soft. I'd looked into many many different foods and nutrition, tried some, but nothing really helped... until now! He now eats Markus Muhle and has done for several weeks. I've seen alot of great reviews on the web about this food which is why I bought it, but some people on this forum advised me against it as it has some grain in it.
Spen did well on Markus Muhle and it's what we'll be using if he goes into kennels or to a dog sitter at any point. It's not what I'd consider a great food but I wouldn't call it utter crap either.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.