UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few months ago I got some lovely mice from a breeder and when I called for her address to pick them up I found she only lived around the corner from me.

I bought the mice and then became friends with her as we appeared to have a lot in common. We both love all kinds of animals and both own dogs, cats & rabbits but I'm now not liking the person she really is as she is showing her true colours.

She has told me about several dogs she has had in the past that she has had to rehome because of her housing situation, Although she still has her first dog. One dog even had puppies last year and she admitted it was a rescue and hadn't been hip scored but said it was ok because the parents had.
She said she has been accused of abusing her dogs but infct it is the people before her that she rescued them from or the people after she has sold them onto. that are the ones that abused her dogs.

Anyhow she has two females dogs and her recent one is only still a puppy. It has been rescued and was apparently abused before she got this one as well. The dog is very dog aggressive (even though she claims it isn't) and immediately took a dislike to Angel when we went out on a walk together. Her dog also barked aggressively at my son. She is now saying that in a few months when she can 'afford' to get her hip scored etc she will be breeding from her and selling the pups for £850 as she is KC reg:eek: and is only breeding her because she wants to keep a pup back for herself.

Well she only lives in a tiny one bed flat which aint even big enough for one of her dogs. Her dogs are very energetic and I'm pretty sure Huskies & Mals are not suited to a flat environment.

She also has a new kitten. A Moggy, Which ain't hers but her husbands so she says . I've never met her husband as he doesn't live with her. He lives in another country:confused::confused:

Her dogs try and bite the kittens head (this is what she has told me) and so she wants the kitten to be an outside cat as soon as possible. It's only 5 months old I think but she said she aint a cat person and only got it coz her husband wanted it (even though he doesn't live with her!!!) She said she was thinking about breeding her kitten. :cursing::cursing: I told her what I thought about that!!

She recently bought a baby bunny and told me she had put it in a dog crate in the shed. She then phoned me up to say it had died a week later. and the breeder (not the vet) had said it had died because off stress and now she has told me she is getting another and has just bought it a indoor cage from zooplus for £21 so you can imagine how tiny it must be. Well I have just told her not to buy this rabbit unless she can give it suitable accommodation but she said it was temp until she could get a large cage. She is getting this rabbit regardless of what i'm saying as it an still run around her bedroom.

How can I make her see what she is doing is wrong. She has already said family try and make her give up her pets and this is why she gave up some of her previous dogs, So why go and get another 'rescue' pup.

She isn't a horrible person, She appears to really love the animals but she can't care for them properly in my opinion. She is always saying she has no money so if one of her pets gets ill I can't imagine what she will do vet wise.

Sorry about the long post but i'm so upset & angry and needed to vent.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Unfortunately I think we all know someone like that, all you can do is advise where possible and if she chooses to listen its great, if she doesnt there isnt a lot you can do about it :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sadly some people think they know best and won't listen to any reasonable argument. Having a small flat and all those animals is crazy!

·
Follow me on @popuppetstop on insta
4,131 Posts
its sad isn't it :( thedogsmother is right i think we all know someone like that :(

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It's a pet hate of mine,people who get dogs but don't understand how expensive they are.how they deserve good (expensive) food.need vet treatments,insurance,poo picked up (at all times) walked.and treated like a member of the family not adopted (or sold)out as soon as there is a problem. I have a friend with 2dogs who are never walked,a minagery of reptiles all been sold.a dead fish tank cba looking after it.now got 2 kittens :0( her last cat died young cos didn't get its jags :0(. It makes me mental.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not the fact she just has too many animals in a small flat (and it really is very small) it's the fact she is planning on breeding from them all as well.

Jon bda She has admitted the RSPCA have been called on her twice. She said her family had called them and a hate gang:confused: had as well and the RSPCA could see that they were all ok. TBH The pets do all look ok. They ain't skinny or anything and I don't think she would deliberately hurt any of them on purpose but I personally feel she is taking on too many animals without realising what they all need to be happy.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I used to know someone exactly like this.
Despite years of worrying, countless offers to help, advice etc. I just had to cut all ties. It was soul destroying.
They have been to court numerous times, have had animals seized and pts and were ultimately banned from owning certain animals, but it's well known they carry on taking them in.

It sounds selfish to cut all ties with said person, but there was nothing I could do and it was so upsetting, and still is.

Some people don't want to listen and sadly there isn't a whole lot you can do :(

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
This person is a hoarder.
This is the exact story ALL hoarders will tell you.

Whenever they are forced to give up one animal they will get at least 2 new ones, and they always have an excuse.

·
Super Moderator
29,621 Posts
Surely if she adopts animals she would be home checked by the rescue?? They wouldnt let her have any dogs in a one bedroomed home??
You'd think so, but they usually neuter before homing, so I'm guessing she must be 'rescuing' from the freeads etc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah I think they were probably private rehomes. I can't see any rescue letting even a little sized dog go into that tiny flat let alone a husky and a malamute

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
:( She sounds like a hoarder, as has already been said by Jiskefet. Her 'rescues' sound like they have been privately rehomed, probably from preloved or gumtree, since they aren't neutered. There isn't really a great deal you can do. If her animals are fed and watered and are not abused by her then you can't really report her for anything. All you can do is moan at her about her breeding plans for those poor animals and just keep on at her.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
One dog even had puppies last year and she admitted it was a rescue and hadn't been hip scored but said it was ok because the parents had.

She is now saying that in a few months when she can 'afford' to get her hip scored etc she will be breeding from her and selling the pups for £850 as she is KC reg and is only breeding her because she wants to keep a pup back for herself.

Well she only lives in a tiny one bed flat which aint even big enough for one of her dogs. Her dogs are very energetic and I'm pretty sure Huskies & Mals are not suited to a flat environment.
Sorry, but this doesn't sound like an animal lover it sounds like a byb who is out to make money from her animals and then passes them on when they have served their purpose. And surprise, surprise that the intended litter is a husky/mal :rolleyes: :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sorry, but this doesn't sound like an animal lover it sounds like a byb who is out to make money from her animals and then passes them on when they have served their purpose. And surprise, surprise that the intended litter is a husky/mal :rolleyes: :mad:
I'm not sticking up for her but ain't byb someone who doesn't health test etc. She told me she were getting these done and her Husky has been spayed as she said it was apart of her agreement on Rescuing the dog and she had it done on her 1st birthday. Its the Mal she plans on breeding and she said she goes to ringcraft with her but the dog is not enjoying it so is going to work her instead. Not sure what this means with a Mal.

Not sure why she wants to breed her moggy. I can only think for money but she said she might not after I told her to get the kitten spayed as it was old enough to do so and not let it out of the flat until its much older.

She said she had to rehome the mother of the pups as she was made to do so along with her collie cross and another Husky. She said she was living in a caravan at the time and she had no choice. How true that is I do not know.

All I know is the more she says to me the more i'm disliking her. I'm only talking to her as our two daughters like to play with each other at the local park.

I'm really concerned about this rabbit she is getting. She said I don't think you have thought this through properly. Arnt Huskies & Mals got high prey drives but she thinks hers dogs will be fine with the rabbit and she keeps making escuses over the accommodation saying the small cage is big enough for now as its only a baby. I told her its too small even for guinea pigs to be really happy let alone a rabbit. Nothing I say seems to get through and it's driving me mad.

·
Grumpy wench.
4,907 Posts
yeah I think they were probably private rehomes. I can't see any rescue letting even a little sized dog go into that tiny flat let alone a husky and a malamute
Rescues will rehome based on the individual circumstances and the specific dog. I have a small dog in a 2 bedroom maisonette flat and he is more than happy (i dont see he has any less room than a dog in a house if its restricted to the downsstairs); and 2 of my upstairs neighbours have rescues - the dogs get more walks than any of the dogs living in larger houses locally! I also know of a few retired greyhounds in similar places, they are large but move so little they could probably live in a box room as happily as a mansion lol

A husky and Malamute are large energetic dogs and wouldnt be suitable however - I looked after a collie for a few months in mine as his owner was "between homes"; and he was simply too big and bouncy for my place!

As others said, this lady sounds like a hoarder!

·
Super Moderator
29,621 Posts
I'm not sticking up for her but ain't byb someone who doesn't health test etc. She told me she were getting these done and her Husky has been spayed as she said it was apart of her agreement on Rescuing the dog and she had it done on her 1st birthday. Its the Mal she plans on breeding and she said she goes to ringcraft with her but the dog is not enjoying it so is going to work her instead. Not sure what this means with a Mal.
A byb may still carry out health tests, it doesn't mean the dog is suitable for breeding though, especially if the temperament is unsound & there's no history or paperwork to trace their ancestry.

All I know is the more she says to me the more i'm disliking her. I'm only talking to her as our two daughters like to play with each other at the local park.
Daft as it sounds, sometimes it's a good thing that someone who genuinely cares about animals remains a friend of sorts to these type of people, in order to keep an eye on them & if things get really bad then you could try & get in touch with their landlord, the council warden or RSPCA (they may or may not do anything though:rolleyes:). I've done it with a couple of people in the past.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.